yconic - Did I make the right decision to drop summer school?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Did I make the right decision to drop summer school?

A photo of d0nut d0nut
I took ENG4U in summer school so that I get it overwith, and have a spare for my grade 12 year.

However, the teacher said that she never gave anyone a higher mark than 83% through her years of teaching. And for me, I want ATLEAST a 90% to get into life sciences in University!!

I decided to drop the course. Not only was the workload CRAZY, the tests and assignments were based on little details about the books I had to read that us students clearly didn't have time to study for!!

So.... I need a 90% in english. I figured I don't need the spare, and would replace it with english. HOWEVER, my schedule for semester 2 will include: English, Calculus, Chem and Bio!!!!!

That will be HARD and I don't know if I made the right decision.

There's always night school..... but I don't know anymore :(
Was this helpful? Yes 0
7 replies

A photo of ktel ktel
You Ontario kids are soft. Back in my day....Just kidding. But seriously, when I was in grade 12 I took full year English, history, calculus, bio, chem and physics. I was in IB, so not a lot of room for anything other than core courses.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of chatmike chatmike
Huh, that's kinda funny. My summer school teacher said the same thing. I called her bluff.

I ended with an 80% working my ass off and writing essays every day.......

You did the right thing :p
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of aquarius aquarius
I will be doing English in August as I'm doing AF right now. I would say continue until the midterm(no academic penalty) and then drop it if you are not happy.

Even if you get 83% , it doesn't mean you cannot get 90% . I knew someone who had 84 and yet got a 91.6% overall average. Take 2 easy optional papers !!!!

Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of heesoup heesoup
I think you did the right thing. Learn English properly at day school :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of superstar2011 superstar2011
You did the right thing. Why waste your time when you have a really slim chance at a 90%? You don't want to make yourself write useless papers that will be graded without mercy. I would have done the exact same thing.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of d0nut d0nut
Thank you to everyone for replying. You guys really made me feel good about my decision of dropping the program because I had a little feeling of regret inside, but now it's all gone. I wish I can give you all a golden star hehe! :thumright
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of superstar2011 superstar2011

@d0nut wrote
Thank you to everyone for replying. You guys really made me feel good about my decision of dropping the program because I had a little feeling of regret inside, but now it's all gone. I wish I can give you all a golden star hehe! :thumright

I also had a little feeling of regret when I dropped a course in semester school. We all have that. Don't be afraid to do something like that in university, if you ever need to.
Was this helpful? Yes 0