yconic - ---Did you accept Queen's Commerce?--
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

---Did you accept Queen's Commerce?--

A photo of TKBCOM14 TKBCOM14
If yes, please read on, if not, then this post is not for you.

--

Congratulations on getting into the best undergrad business program in Canada. You worked hard in high school, devoted your time into different extracurricular activities, and you earned the acceptance with your time, effort, and sweat.

As fate would have it, you will no longer be peers with students who take pleasure in mediocrity. You will be around students who are as smart as you, and who are as motivated as you to be successful. Unlike other business schools, Queen's Commerce does not breed middle management. It breeds top level executives all across different sectors of business.

If you are on this forum, it is because you care about education, and because you want to be successful once you begin your studies at Queen's Commerce. Doing well in Queen's Commerce is no easy task - incoming high school average is at 92%, while first year business courses' averages are around 75~78% (Freshman 15).

This does not necessarily mean your grades will suffer. As long as you keep up with the work and stay on top of course materials, you will find yourself exempt from the freshman 15. However, it's not always easy to keep up with the work - you will be involved with various committees and conferences, as well as case competitions (DECA, Q3C, QEC, etc).

That's why this summer, you should take some time out of your schedule to prepare for the courses ahead; Even reading the textbooks or case studies that are used in first year will give you an unprecedented amount of advantage over your peers when it comes to keeping up with the work load.

I am selling my first year textbooks for all courses, as well as coursecram manuals for ECON110(Micro & Macro) as well as COMM112 (Managerial Accounting). I will include my midterm papers as well as any assignments that I have for the corresponding course textbook.

If you are in Mississauga, send me a PM, and we can discuss this further.

Best of luck to everybody and have a great summer.

TKBCOM14
Was this helpful? Yes 0
61 replies

A photo of scollyhunter scollyhunter
Is your self confidence really that low?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of EastSideBoyz EastSideBoyz
I'm not going to queens but I still read this :D
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous

@TKBCOM14 wrote
Congratulations on getting into the best undergrad business program in Canada.

LOL I can name several schools better for business than Queen's...for instance there are better schools for accounting. Accounting is business is it not?

@TKBCOM14 wrote
As fate would have it, you will no longer be peers with students who take pleasure in mediocrity. You will be around students who are as smart as you, and who are as motivated as you to be successful. Unlike other business schools, Queen's Commerce does not breed middle management. It breeds top level executives all across different sectors of business.

Lol well my average is above 92% and I'm not going to Queen's. Believe it or not not EVERYONE goes to Queen's. This whole quote is wrong because just because you go to Queen's doesn't mean you're more motivated than someone from Georgian College. It does not breed middle managment? Guaranteed some people end up there.

I find these two quotes extremely arrogant and wrong. You're sadly mistaken if you believe just because you go to Queen's you are "with the best".
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of beyondsection17 beyondsection17
Non-Queen's students, why are you feeding the troll.

.....Oh wait, I think the OP was serious!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Matthew Matthew
Wow this is incredibly pretentious. Although I do love hearing about 92% entrance average, makes me feel happy I got in with an 87 on the dot.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

To all the Laurier students replying:

All you did was prove that you like to waste time, and that you feel so insecure about your choice that you have to come into a totally irrelevant thread to express that the school that didn't accept you (or the school that you didn't choose) is not necessarily the best.

Matthew:

I was admitted with a sub-90 average as well, but high school marks are not a good indicator of one's success in university, so don't feel threatened in any way or form by the 92% number. Queen's Commerce admissions recognize this, and that's why there is such a huge emphasis on the PSE.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Matthew Matthew
LOL the admission average doesn't scare me. Anyways, the problem with Queens for me, is stuff like this: Queens kids who think Queens Commerce is the end all be all of the business world. Yes, it's an amazing program, but ultimately it's the person and not the degree that gets the job. Laurier is a great program, maybe not as prestigious as Queens, but Co-op is a big help, and as you get more and more work experience, your degree becomes less and less relevant.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Bossofbosses Bossofbosses
Umm, I'll just stick to what I do in HS and i will be fine.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93

@Matthew wrote
LOL the admission average doesn't scare me. Anyways, the problem with Queens for me, is stuff like this: Queens kids who think Queens Commerce is the end all be all of the business world. Yes, it's an amazing program, but ultimately it's the person and not the degree that gets the job. Laurier is a great program, maybe not as prestigious as Queens, but Co-op is a big help, and as you get more and more work experience, your degree becomes less and less relevant.

Good post :cheers:
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@TKBCOM14 wrote
To all the Laurier students replying:

All you did was prove that you like to waste time, and that you feel so insecure about your choice that you have to come into a totally irrelevant thread to express that the school that didn't accept you (or the school that you didn't choose) is not necessarily the best.

LOL your attitude won't get you very far anyways. No company would want to hire someone such as yourself who believes he is superior over others. As Mattew said, "it's the person and not the degree that gets the job".
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of GoBarca GoBarca

@Username81 wrote

@TKBCOM14 wrote

LOL I can name several schools better for business than Queen's...for instance there are better schools for accounting. Accounting is business is it not?

@TKBCOM14 wrote

Lol well my average is above 92% and I'm not going to Queen's. Believe it or not not EVERYONE goes to Queen's. This whole quote is wrong because just because you go to Queen's doesn't mean you're more motivated than someone from Georgian College. It does not breed middle managment? Guaranteed some people end up there.

I find these two quotes extremely arrogant and wrong. You're sadly mistaken if you believe just because you go to Queen's you are "with the best".

Calm down man lol if u disagree with what he says, what you should do is LOL and leave the page, dont waste ur time making urself uncomfortable ..
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Lol I'm not mad, just wanted to point out the flaws in his arguments and how low he is to post this crap :p
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of onlymatthew onlymatthew

@Matthew wrote

In this entire thread... Only Matthew's post really speaks to me.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

I still don't understand why you are posting here. First, this post was not meant for you, second, I did not specifically name any business schools that are deemed as "inferior" to Queen's Commerce.

You are just putting words in my mouth. "No company would....yourself" way to be consistent with your logic. Looking at this the other way, you would also agree that no company would hire somebody who consistently contradicts himself and judges others without trying to understand.

Tell me this, are you saying that in high school, you didn't have friends who were perfectly happy with their 70's? Never once did I say that other business students take pride in being mediocre. You are simply making assumptions that are simply not true.

Of course many QC grads end up as middle management, making comfortable salary around $100k. But is the main purpose of the Queen's Commerce program to produce middle management? No! Queen's Commerce is not a technical college where "business schools" teach book-keeping, and how to use minitab. QC constantly pushes its students to their limits to help them achieve excellence, and also equip them with the necessary skill sets to be successful. Unfortunately, the same can't be said about every business school, and that is the rationale behind my original post.

Was this helpful? Yes 0

Lol I could easily argue your last point as well, however, I'll choose not to as I've lost what little interest I initially had here.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93

@TKBCOM14 wrote
I still don't understand why you are posting here. First, this post was not meant for you, second, I did not specifically name any business schools that are deemed as "inferior" to Queen's Commerce.

You are just putting words in my mouth. "No company would....yourself" way to be consistent with your logic. Looking at this the other way, you would also agree that no company would hire somebody who consistently contradicts himself and judges others without trying to understand.

Tell me this, are you saying that in high school, you didn't have friends who were perfectly happy with their 70's? Never once did I say that other business students take pride in being mediocre. You are simply making assumptions that are simply not true.

Of course many QC grads end up as middle management, making comfortable salary around $100k. But is the main purpose of the Queen's Commerce program to produce middle management? No! Queen's Commerce is not a technical college where "business schools" teach book-keeping, and how to use minitab. QC constantly pushes its students to their limits to help them achieve excellence, and also equip them with the necessary skill sets to be successful. Unfortunately, the same can't be said about every business school, and that is the rationale behind my original post.

Speaking of contradicting...
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Business1234 Business1234

@Username81 wrote

@TKBCOM14 wrote

@TKBCOM14 wrote

lol, your not going to queen's because u've been rejected.
Not because your average is superior
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@Business 1234

I never stated my reason for not attending. What I said was, "Lol well my average is above 92% and I'm not going to Queen's". He's implying that Queen's has "smarter" more superior individuals than other schools and my grades are higher than his as well as the average and I will not be attending Queen's next year.

Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of scollyhunter scollyhunter
This is exactly why I didn't want to go to Queen's. Spending 4 years with people like TKBCOM14, no thanks!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of jojomchobo jojomchobo

@scollyhunter wrote
This is exactly why I didn't want to go to Queen's. Spending 4 years with people like TKBCOM14, no thanks!

THANK GOD
someone else!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Novitano Novitano

@scollyhunter wrote

Took the words out of my mouth. (:
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of LampShade LampShade
I like how he or she is trying to sell books to you guys haha
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of beyondsection17 beyondsection17

@Novitano wrote

@scollyhunter wrote

Took the words out of my mouth. (:

Come on everyone, be nice. :P
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of durres durres

Queen's is argued to be one of the best business school's in canada is he wrong?

Out of thousands of applicants who apply to QC only about 400 are selected, so you can say the kids selected worked hard, ecs, etcs as mentioned abouve.

"As fate would have it, you will no longer be peers with students who take pleasure in mediocrity. You will be around students who are as smart as you, and who are as motivated as you to be successful."

is this not true, most kids who go to university tend to be smart (at least their marks say so), but Queens also considers PSE so the students also have strong ECs. STudents in the program are motivated again b/c they have their ecs to speak for them, and marks.

"Unlike other business schools, Queen's Commerce does not breed middle management. It breeds top level executives all across different sectors of business. "

This where I think it went wrong, at least the wording. If you look at Queen's alumni, it is boasted to be one of the best in Canada (probably comparable to Ivey) I guess the wording could have been more subtle but to an extent its true (looking at alumni) although other schools have strong alumni as well, QC has the most.

I think that was the selling pitch for the books :P but I just didn't like how the person was misinterpreted (or maybe I'm misinterpreting)

at the end of the day teh school doesn't matter you do, BUT one can't deny that some schools give students more support !

JUst my thoughts

PEACE :D
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Subtle Subtle
I think I met this guy when I visited Queen's in Kingston... He was always talking about how Queen's is so much more prestigious and how it's the best in Canada since it's so hard to get in and everything. Also something along the lines of "oh yeah you wont be dealing with those dumb kids anymore".

Chose Ivey over Queen's somewhat because of that guy LOL. I imagined having to work with him or someone like him on a group project or having him in the alumni network. -_-
Was this helpful? Yes 0