yconic - DIET!!!
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

DIET!!!

A photo of drkim drkim
I've recently been on a diet and...
have lost about...
15kg(I don't use 'pounds') in 2 months? or so.
and I went volunteering yesterday and my coordinator thinks I'm ill or something
(due to the rapid lost of weight)
Now I'm wondering whether I should quit my diet and slow down a bit...:(

The whole reason for going on a diet was because of prom LOL.
Was this helpful? Yes 0
20 replies

A photo of Stranger Stranger

@drkim wrote
I've recently been on a diet and...
have lost about...
15kg(I don't use 'pounds') in 2 months? or so.
and I went volunteering yesterday and my coordinator thinks I'm ill or something
(due to the rapid lost of weight)
Now I'm wondering whether I should quit my diet and slow down a bit...:(

The whole reason for going on a diet was because of prom LOL.

Wow, well... It depends on how much you weigh, your height, your activity level, etc. How did you lose all that weight?

I weigh about 122lbs, so a loss of 15kg (33lbs) in 2 months would be too much. It's recommended that one shouldn't lose over 2lbs per week. It might be different if you're seriously overweight though.

Yeah, I also feel pressure to lose weight for prom, but I've been trying to lose weight since I was 13. >.> (Now I weigh more than what I started with. :|) I was doing okay the past 2 weeks or so, but I've ruined my good eating streak yesterday and today due to stress eating (exams!).

I'll probably consume 1600 calories/day and exercise a few times a week... after exams... You should try figuring out how many calories you need a day, deduct 500 calories from that, and try aiming to consume about that many calories a day. Or eat a bit more if you're going to include exercise.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of kraken kraken
drkim: what's your weight and height? you should prolly slow down and chill, unless you're way overweight.
how the heck did you lose it so quickly though? lol
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Nyx Nyx
:erm: i hope you didn't go on a crash diet or something....you'll gain back most of the weight if you did. And prom's still a while away, you can lose at a healthier rate :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of cyynthiia cyynthiia
Holy! Prom is still like 4-5 months away..
You'll most likely gain at least 1/2 of that weight back by that time!
Take it slow, it's not healthy for you to lose all that weight in one go.
Just exercise regularly and you won't even need to go on a diet.
Most diets are crash diets, you'll eat it all back once you stop!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Qq Qq
If you're losing more than 2 pounds a week you're either starving yourself or you're doing something VERY wrong.. It's stupid and unhealthy; you'll end up an anorexic
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Porsche4 Porsche4
i bought my grad dress when i was real fat so a diet for me would be stupid now
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of kraken kraken
^ lol you can always exchange it...
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of bonbon44chacha bonbon44chacha
yeah remember to take it slow! and don't forget to treat yourself everyone once in a while...if you go completely treat-free, you might get frustruated with the diet, and start eating unhealthy again. Best of luck!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of cherryjcp cherryjcp
dam definetly slow it down. i dont know but your definetly going to effect your health sooner or later without proper nutrition your immune systems gona shut down. who wants to be sick during prom?!i definetly dont i mean ease up alittle cause i know you need to be nice and fit for prom but still dont pass by all your necessary nutrient! and if you wanna diet next time. if you know ahead of time you have a big even like this take things slow cut down proprtions drink lots of water excercise and sleep
hope this helped :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of McLane43 McLane43
losing that much in that short amount of time isn't really healthy.
mind you, i'm not a big dieter... i've been very lucky with my fast metabolism so far
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of kalenann kalenann
Does anybody have a good diet program that really works? I don't have a lot of time on my hands, and really want to lose 15 or 20 lbs by prom, my dress is alittle tight. Any ideas?!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of amneetak amneetak
I know how you feel about losing weight for prom, but it's honestly not the greatest thing to do. Just go as yourself and feel good about your body, because at some point, all this dieting IS going to cause you health problems
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of lemony lemony
First of all, congratulations. Losing weight is never easy.
Secondly, I think that puts you at around 4 pounds off a week. Honestly, I think it really depends on overweight you were in the beginning. IMO, a lot more fat will drop off when, well... there is a lot of fat to be lost. If you already fairly skinny -and- losing 4 pounds a week, that'd be really unhealthy (it shouldn't be more than one or two). Just try not to gain it all back again and know when to stop!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of chanteldasilva chanteldasilva
i know what it feels like to be pressured to loose weight.I felt a huge pressure to be thin, so I began to eat a lot less. I didn't realise what it was doing to my body until in woke up in the hospital one day attached to heart monitors, iv, and my crying mother on me. I had collapsed, my body was beggining to give up. That was on of my most scariest moments, there was so much going thtough my head; fear, guilt, but most importantly I realized how stupid i had been. Who was i trying to impress? why did i feel the need to loose weight? Now i realize that it doesn't matter what zize pants you wear, or how much you wiegh, all that matters is who you are on the inside.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Mystic93 Mystic93
Losing weight is never easy but doing very aggressive diets can be very dangerous and should be assessed by a doctor or nutritionist. 15kg is a ton to lose and when you lose it in such a short amount of time. If you just cut yourself off of food your urges for good food (we all have them!) just build and build until you completely binge out on it resulting is gaining even more weight.

I am a competitive wrestler and have to cut weight frequently to make it to my weight category but when you hear of athletes cutting weight for a competition it's a little different because usually it is just water weight. I've lost up to 5lbs in just water weight in a 1 hour sweat out. Though you only need to keep the weight off for a day or so and that wieght comes back within 24 hours.

Basically the point is that with aggressive weight loss you usually only lose water weight (depending on the amount of time you are dieting) and fat but once you stop (and you will have to stop because your body cannot tollerate aggressive diets for long) you gain majority, if not more, weight back.

The best 'diet' to go on is to look at your Canada's food guide and only eat what is required. Obviously eat more carbs and such if you are active. The average person actually doesn't require that much food. One serving of grains is considered half a bagel... Who ever only eats half a bagel? The Food Guide is there to help you make healthy choices and when you do follow it, you feel great! Also, exercise is a huge thing in maintaining or losing weight but make sure you are doing the right programs for weight loss. When you work out you naturally build muscle, which makes you gain weight but it is a positive weight! Once you have designed a good work out you should gain muscle and burn fat which will result in weight loss or at least becoming more toned inproving your overall body shape.

At the end of the day, if you look at yourself and really consider that you are not over weight and are doing the weight loss for someone else, you don't need to please anyone but yourself. If you are happy and healthy don't change a thing. I know some amazing people who don't have the smallest modle type body but they are still stunning. :flower:
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Laciee Laciee
Like everyone on here has been saying, it depends on your height and weight. I went on a crash diet and lost 10lbs in 3 days. I almost ended up in the hospital, and I am now suffering a lot of health effects, years later. Take care of yourself, don't worry about being a twig. I have actually been turned down because I was 'too skinny.' For sure take care of yourself, anorexia is a very dangerous & lasting disease.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of mmmmmmmn mmmmmmmn
wow 15kg in 2 months that's CRAZY.
I'm trying to lose weight for summer and so far...not very successful. I'm not obese nor skinny..just bit over 'healthy'weight so ..yeahh:)
like everyone else, slow down...that's VERY unhealthy...:S
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of mmmmmmmn mmmmmmmn

@Laciee wrote
Like everyone on here has been saying, it depends on your height and weight. I went on a crash diet and lost 10lbs in 3 days. I almost ended up in the hospital, and I am now suffering a lot of health effects, years later. Take care of yourself, don't worry about being a twig. I have actually been turned down because I was 'too skinny.' For sure take care of yourself, anorexia is a very dangerous & lasting disease.

wow I'm glad you don't do that anymore...hope ur health gets better!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of cosstickxx cosstickxx
That works out to about 4 lbs/week. The most they suggest losing in a week is 2. So to answer your question, maybe slow it down a bit or your body wont have time to catch up/get used to your new diet.
I'm curious though, what are you eating that you lost that much weight that fast.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of kraken kraken

@Mystic93 wrote
Who ever only eats half a bagel?

me!

(but I'm still kinda chubby even when I exercise a lot... damn you slow metabolism)
Was this helpful? Yes 0