yconic - Difference Between Computer Science and Computer Engineering
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Difference Between Computer Science and Computer Engineering

A photo of samwise575 samwise575
Just wondering what the difference was. A google search basically said in general terms that its software vs hardware.
Was this helpful? Yes 0
2 replies

A photo of iRamie iRamie
Computer Science: Google said it right, its software. However, it is a bit more math oriented (algorithms, sequences, etc..).

Computer Engineering: Not just hardware, it also focuses a bit on software as well. You are part-taking in practical work where you utilize/design the hardware in accordance to the software. With computer engineering you have a variety of programs to chose in the future (Software, Eletrical, Mechatronics, etc..)

I hope what i said above is right, im still in high school lol :\
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of greygoose greygoose

@iRamie wrote
Computer Science: Google said it right, its software. However, it is a bit more math oriented (algorithms, sequences, etc..).

Computer Engineering: Not just hardware, it also focuses a bit on software as well. You are part-taking in practical work where you utilize/design the hardware in accordance to the software. With computer engineering you have a variety of programs to chose in the future (Software, Eletrical, Mechatronics, etc..)

I hope what i said above is right, im still in high school lol :\

Yup, this is pretty much correct.

Computer Science: the mathematical theory of computation. Should not be a hugely applied degree. Study of complex algorithms, first-order logic, lambda calculus, etc. Some applied things like compiler theory, operating systems, graphics, etc. of course.

Software Engineering: a specialized degree for training in software development. Very little theory, less math. Covering a lot of the applied things CS does, and more.

Computer Engineering: they build computers. I wouldn't say there's any hugely specific focus away from software, but the focus really should be on hardware. Computer Engineering courses are often cross-listed with Electrical Engineering, to illustrate this point.
Was this helpful? Yes 0