yconic - Difference between working for Goldman Sachs in Canada and U.S.?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Difference between working for Goldman Sachs in Canada and U.S.?

A photo of jasonty9 jasonty9
For a same job, do you get paid pretty much the same?
Was this helpful? Yes 0
11 replies

A photo of iliketurtles iliketurtles
For what job? Investment banking?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of jasonty9 jasonty9

@iliketurtles wrote
For what job? Investment banking?

yes
Was this helpful? Yes 0

You'll probably get the best answers on wallstreetoasis or mergersandinquisitions. Both are great sites with lots of information on finance (i-ibanking in particular)
In short, I think the Toronto office is much smaller meaning you get less deal experience. The pay is the same (or very similar) meaning 70k base but I think the bonuses in Canada are much smaller. At the same time, cost of living in NYC or LA or SF is A LOT more than Canada, which offsets the lower bonus. The exchange rate is pretty much negligible imo lol
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of immaculatedx immaculatedx

@iliketurtles wrote
You'll probably get the best answers on wallstreetoasis or mergersandinquisitions. Both are great sites with lots of information on finance (i-ibanking in particular)
In short, I think the Toronto office is much smaller meaning you get less deal experience. The pay is the same (or very similar) meaning 70k base but I think the bonuses in Canada are much smaller. At the same time, cost of living in NYC or LA or SF is A LOT more than Canada, which offsets the lower bonus. The exchange rate is pretty much negligible imo lol

Stop making stuff up. GS is not going to pay the same rate in Toronto and in NYC.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of CMA2014 CMA2014

@immaculatedx wrote

@iliketurtles wrote

Stop making stuff up. GS is not going to pay the same rate in Toronto and in NYC.

r u dum lol. base is standard across all offices. bonus varies between groups/offices. u dum
Was this helpful? Yes 0

I'm almost positive the BB's pay the same base.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Nick0rz Nick0rz
Go ask this on www.wallstreetoasis.com instead of here. People here don't know the answer.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of redherring redherring
Does it really matter OP? Worry about getting into uni and getting good grades and being good enough to get an interview before worrying about at which office you'll get paid the most.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of immaculatedx immaculatedx

@iliketurtles wrote
I'm almost positive the BB's pay the same base.

CMA2014 is a troll... I'm pretty sure he knows I know who he actually is; donno why he trolls me.

Anyways, you might be right but that's not what my family friend who works in the toronto office said to me.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Tyop Tyop
Investment bankers in Toronto typically work less hours than their American counterparts. They are also able to connect with the other members of the department, whereas in Goldman Sachs New York City, there are over hundreds of investment bankers as they heavily recruit annually. Also, bankers in Toronto tend to do less tedious work due to the smaller offices.

In regards to pay, the base pay should be roughly the same, but the bonuses in New York City would be much higher. But, one must take into consideration of the cost of living in NYC/SF/LA/Chicago as well as the ridiculous income taxes that entails. From what I have heard, bankers usually have half of their bonuses and base income after taxes and whatnot.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Well even if it's not the same, I seriously doubt it's all that different after you factor in cost of living differences and whatnot. I tried doing a quick search on WSO but I got really lazy and stopped halfway but the few that I managed to find seemed to have conflicting reports :/
Was this helpful? Yes 0