yconic - Difficult level at Schulich
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Difficult level at Schulich

A photo of mSoo mSoo
Hi, I have recently decided to drop out of engineering at UofT as I discovered that sciences was not something I enjoyed and am currently pursuing the path of business.

I was just wondering if anyone knew how hard Schulich was in comparison the engineering at UofT (in terms of work load and difficulty of work)and what type of work I could expect by going there.
Was this helpful? Yes 0
12 replies

A photo of Nick0rz Nick0rz
I think it will be difficult to transfer to Schulich. Id recommend trying to transfer to Laurier instead. They're a lot more open to transfers. Alternatively, you could go to UWO, do Bmos for 2 years and then transfer to Ivey.

Im not aware of anyone who has transfered into Schulich. Its kind of hard to do.

At Schulich though you can expect to study business? Its all relative. Some people learn the concepts quickly, others dont. Engineering != Business in anyways, so its tough to compare.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of mSoo mSoo
Ah Yes, its actually impossible to get into Schulich if you have a record in university unless you take first year courses that are specific to their program. What i'm going to do is apply to the school as a high student again (I got lucky and the guidance at UT let me off without putting the marks on my record since I was a pretty good student).

I understand that the two programs are completely different (I like your != ;D) But at lease the work hours should be comparable? (i.e. in engineering I had about 25 hours of class each week + about 20-30 hours on assignments/projects/and studying ONLY for tests/midterms. Maybe a little more if the midterms are hard)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Cool cool.

I think hours would be compareable. You'll be looking at 15 hours of class a week + 30 - 40 hours of assignments/projects/review a week + any ECs you join. You need to join ECs its important.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of mSoo mSoo
Hrmm, would the 30-40 hours include the ECs? If not that's a little surprising but understandable since business is more project oriented than engineering was.

I assume the ECs are for networking/application purposes? Do these clubs have to be relevant to business or can it just be anything im interested in (i.e Stage crew/ Programming =x I enjoy programming as a hobby but not an occupation)

Also I forgot to say so earlier but thanks for replying so honestly Nick0rz. The last time I was on this forum (last year on the engineering forums. Ha!) I encountered a few rude people/trolls.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Depends really. If youre attending a conference it'll take up a full day or two of course. Although these would usually be on say a Saturday or Friday. Don't think of it so much as work, but a time to meet new people, and enjoy a good meal, and learn about things outside of school.

In the first year at Schulich you'll do a project called PCDP (forget what its stands for, its about personal/professional development), where you basically get marks for joining clubs, talking about your development and experiences in them. First years tend to join tons of clubs, although in upper years you specialize into organizations you truely enjoy whether theyre business related or not. Just join what you love.

No problem, I've trolled a few people in my time (when someone asks where to find scholarships, or how to pay for school on a site dedicated to scholarships, they're just asking for it), however I just try to help and give an honest and educated opinion.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of immaculatedx immaculatedx
The difficulty in Schulich or any other business program are not really the academics.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of aeryn aeryn
Difficulty level? Easier than my grade 12 year, actually.
15 hours of class, but you probably won't end up going to management after a while. That makes it about 13.5 hours of class a week. Homework + EC's + projects take time, but I definitely don't think it takes 30-40 hours per week.
Usually, you can expect to spend 2-5 hours per week on group projects. Around this time of the semester however, you have your PCDP and your BPTP due (PCDP=you bs about improving your strength and weaknesses and develop a plan for yourself; BPTP=a business plan team project that`s 40 pages long and done in groups of five), plus tons of other assignments. They will take a huge amount of time out of your schedule, but like I said, it`s only for these two weeks.
Homework and readings aren`t too bad either.
EC`s are really flexible. If you`re into stage crew/programming stuff I'm sure there's a club at York for you. The Schulich clubs are pretty much all concentrated on business, or something related to business (ex. business law). Like back in high school, it's not really what your EC's are about - it's more of how deeply involved and committed you are in them.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of mSoo mSoo
>< Truthfully speaking after i saw that it only takes about 2-5 hours/week to do the projects it made me a little happier. One of reasons I decided to drop out of engineering -aside from the fact that I didn't like the sciences + did not want to become an engineer even after completing the degree- was because of the constant workload I had.

I guess what Nick0rz meant by 30-40 was either if you join a lot of ECs or this time of year where everyone is working on their BPTP and PCDP
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of immaculatedx immaculatedx
So you want to do business just because you think it's easier? Yeah, no.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of mSoo mSoo
Please do not misunderstand. As I've mentioned before, the main reason I chose not to stay in engineering was because of the fact that I didn't like sciences and wasn't planning to become an engineer even after completing the degree. The reason I'm leaning towards business right now is because it has always been one of the two career paths that I've been looking to do. The other was engineering but that turned out to be something I didn't want.

The reason I'm interested in Schulich is because the first two years of their program is general which allows me to have a better understanding of what specialty I want to go into and the small classes.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

30-40 hours isn't that much. You're looking at a comparable amount to a 9-5 job, with the opportunity to spread it out over 7 days. Thats comparable to the amount of time you spend on school in HS.

Lots of schools have 2 years of general, not just Schulich (WLU has 3 FWIW.)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of aeryn aeryn

@mSoo wrote

I guess what Nick0rz meant by 30-40 was either if you join a lot of ECs or this time of year where everyone is working on their BPTP and PCDP

Yeah, everyone's stressing out about their BPTPs, which are due tomorrow. The building was full of BPTP groups today. I should get back to my BPTP too.

Anyways, just wanted to point out that most clubs really don't take much time at all. There are no regular meetings; there are only optional events/workshops/conferences you can attend. In those cases, you can either be really involved and get an exec position, or just be a general member that shows up once in a while. If you're lucky, you stumble on a club that actually forces you to be involved and gives you an opportunity to really gain experience (if you want to know more, pm me).
Was this helpful? Yes 0