yconic - Dilemma
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Dilemma

A photo of Smiles93 Smiles93
Right after first semester, a lot of kids at my school were accepted to McMaster Life sci and I realized that all of them had completed Grade 12 Bio and Chem - maybe that was why they were considered first?

Anyway, I had Physics, Adv. Functions and English first semester, so I didn't expect an offer from Mac - instead, I got into Waterloo, Western, Guelph Biomedical/Life science.

I was doing a LOT of research on Guelph because I wanted to do well in my undergrad to keep up a high GPA. I've asked around and most people really recommended Guelph over the others. I also like their campus and the atmosphere there.
I've accepted their offer, although it was a really hard decision.

Then, I got an offer to Mac Life Sci today. D:

I'm wondering if I made the right choice?
My mom seemed upset, just a tiny bit, because she'd like to tell people that "my daughter goes to Mac!" if people ask her. Typical parents, hahaa.

So, advice?
Was this helpful? Yes 0
5 replies

A photo of egbert egbert
i was in a pretty similar position last year, where i had eliminated my other options and was choosing between mac and guelph. i liked both schools for similar reasons, and my choice just came down to the fact that i felt more at home on guelph campus (the science complex helped too)...go where you feel more at home.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@egbert wrote
i was in a pretty similar position last year, where i had eliminated my other options and was choosing between mac and guelph. i liked both schools for similar reasons, and my choice just came down to the fact that i felt more at home on guelph campus (the science complex helped too)...go where you feel more at home.

I've visited Mac twice- one for the open house and one for a field trip - and although their campus is also very nice, I felt really intimidated for some reason, lol.

I really wanted to go to all the bigger unis, I guess because of their name, but my family told me to consider which uni I would do better at - a prestigious one where competition is high, or a smaller one, where competition may also be high, but you have more interaction with profs and all.
It also helped because Guelph offered a way higher entrance scholarship for me than Mac.

What are you taking and how was your experience there? :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of egbert egbert
i'm in chem (soon to be adding a minor in math) and absolutely love it! everything about the school is great. lol i feel like nobody will believe me but i really did enjoy everything. and what you say about interaction with profs is so true..classes are still pretty big (500-600) but all the profs are approachable and will actually remember your name and talk to you if they see you around campus.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@egbert wrote
i'm in chem (soon to be adding a minor in math) and absolutely love it! everything about the school is great. lol i feel like nobody will believe me but i really did enjoy everything. and what you say about interaction with profs is so true..classes are still pretty big (500-600) but all the profs are approachable and will actually remember your name and talk to you if they see you around campus.

I've heard that first year (organic) chemistry is KILLER. That's coming from my own chem teacher, so I'll take her word for it.
What did you think of it?

Also, how did you deal with the drastic change in marking scheme in uni? I've heard quizzes and small assignments can be worth as much as 50% of your final mark. I get freaked out just reading that.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of egbert egbert
first year chem has pretty low averages its true. this is probably because EVERYBODY in science has to take the same course (ie 2000+). math and physics have separate strains for biosci and physical science students but for chem everyone is in the same course and some people do struggle. that being said if you stay on top of everything and do all the work on time you will do fine. there's lots of free help available if you need it as well and the profs keep you well aware of where and when to get help. Do be well versed in the organic reactions, it will com in very handy when studying since if you know them from high school it will be easy to review them.

As for quizzes and assignments, i actually was glad to have them. they are worth like 2-5% each but yeah, they do add up. however most of the little marks like this are online and so you can do them on your own time (theyre open for 3-5 days usually) and also you can do them with friends! it helps boost up your mark so even if you dont test well they act as a buffer for your grade.

once you get used to how things are marked in uni it will be pretty easy to do well, and theres soooo much help available in first year. i wouldn't worry too much about it.
Was this helpful? Yes 0