yconic - Diploma's and acceptance
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Diploma's and acceptance

A photo of dkonieczny dkonieczny
I'm from Alberta where we write Diploma's... :( and was just thinking, isn't it unfair that we're writing Diploma's while places like Saskatchewan don't have to, and when they have their final's they aren't worth 50% of their marks.

However, then what if I'm applying to a Saskatchewan University. Will they look at my transcript, and see I'm Albertan and write Diplomas, and then look at a saskatchewan student and realize they don't write them? OR, do I just get tossed into a big pool, and nothing else matters except marks?
Was this helpful? Yes 0
4 replies

A photo of mynameismattgotmlgo mynameismattgotmlgo
Yep. It's all about marks.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous

@dkonieczny wrote
I'm from Alberta where we write Diploma's... :( and was just thinking, isn't it unfair that we're writing Diploma's while places like Saskatchewan don't have to, and when they have their final's they aren't worth 50% of their marks.

No it's not unfair at all. Each province has their own way of running things in the way they see works best. Don't like it? Leave.

However, then what if I'm applying to a Saskatchewan University. Will they look at my transcript, and see I'm Albertan and write Diplomas, and then look at a saskatchewan student and realize they don't write them? OR, do I just get tossed into a big pool, and nothing else matters except marks?

Your marks matter. Your diplomas don't since they're not equally comparable to other students applying from other provinces.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of inthemaking inthemaking
There are people with an "unfair disadvantage" everywhere, not just in Alberta. I was in IB (also a diploma program) and my exams were worth 70-80% of my final mark. IB students also have 3 exam papers to write for each subject (except for languages - 2 papers each)..(3 papers x 4 subjects)+(2 papers x 2 subjects) = 16 papers in the span of ~2 weeks whereas other Ontario students in the regular academic stream (typically) just write one exam per course. If you failed the exam then you pretty much fail the course.

Life isn't fair and knowing that you have more at risk, it should motivate you to work harder since you have more to lose by doing poorly on the final :).
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of mynameismattgotmlgo mynameismattgotmlgo
^ Let this story be a lesson of why you should NOT take IB courses.
Was this helpful? Yes 0