yconic - Diversity in Rotman??????
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Diversity in Rotman??????

A photo of JJacobsen JJacobsen
My background is of european descent and i am born and raised in canada. I love diversity and i was wondering does Rotman Commerce in Toronto have a majority demographic or mixed.Now im not racist, i just feel that if all cultures share their expertise that is much more valuable than one culture having the majority influence. I want to learn experiences from all cultures and i've heard a lot about Rotman being diverse however their is a majority that fall into the same culture. i was just wondering, im currently in grade 11 and rotman is a good choice for me, and this is an issue that concerns my future which is to have a great experience that helps me with my purpose in life.
Was this helpful? Yes 0
21 replies

A photo of jasonqw1 jasonqw1

@JJacobsen wrote
My background is of european descent and i am born and raised in canada. I love diversity and i was wondering does Rotman Commerce in Toronto have a majority demographic or mixed.Now im not racist, i just feel that if all cultures share their expertise that is much more valuable than one culture having the majority influence. I want to learn experiences from all cultures and i've heard a lot about Rotman being diverse however their is a majority that fall into the same culture. i was just wondering, im currently in grade 11 and rotman is a good choice for me, and this is an issue that concerns my future which is to have a great experience that helps me with my purpose in life.

just be straight forward and say you hate CHINESE.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Joshki Joshki
in case you wondering why there're so many chinese at Rotman:

Being a chinese means ridiculously high average, ridiculously high average means acceptance to Rotman.

Therefore, being a chinese = rotman
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of cliffhanger33 cliffhanger33

@Joshki wrote

Being a chinese means ridiculously high average, ridiculously high average means acceptance to Rotman.

No because Chinese=prestige, U of T= big name = prestige. People from China only heard of U of T and maybe UBC.

I'm Chinese, trust me- prestige is a big factor.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ilikeyork ilikeyork

@cliffhanger33 wrote

@Joshki wrote

No because Chinese=prestige, U of T= big name = prestige. People from China only heard of U of T and maybe UBC.

Well said. I've heard that there are tons of international students at Rotman, so if you're looking for diversity, do NOT go to Rotman.
BTW I'm Chinese too but I don't want to be around people who can't even speak English for 4 years.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of jasonqw1 jasonqw1
quite a few people in the Chinese forums are saying UT is full of fobs and everyone should just go to quuens uwo or mcgill because there are more white people there.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of CMA2014 CMA2014
Queen's Commerce is about 60% white+jewish, and rest is mixed cultures mostly asians, some south asians but almost no arabs or blacks.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@CMA2014 wrote
Queen's Commerce is about 60% white+jewish, and rest is mixed cultures mostly asians, some south asians but almost no arabs or blacks.

40% asians is not bad in diversity, heard some exaggerate saying no asians at all. Maybe it's just commerce where there's more diversity.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of CMA2014 CMA2014

@cliffhanger33 wrote

@CMA2014 wrote

40% asians is not bad in diversity, heard some exaggerate saying no asians at all. Maybe it's just commerce where there's more diversity.

Outside certain faculties/departments, it's hard to find Asians. Other than Commerce, Life Sciences, and Economics, Queen's is pretty much all white lmao. Out of class of 360, we have 2 black people in our year.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@jasonqw1 wrote

@JJacobsen wrote

i absolutely dont hate any specific culture. i love diversity and i live in a diverse city and i have more diverse friends than i do of my background or white. Im just dissapointed that Rotman is an innovative school for business yet it doesnt have knowledge from a wide range of cultures. In my opinion no one wants to be the only white/black/asian/brown person in a class. I just need some help, also, (regardless of culture) does Rotman have innovative students. I want to have a positive impact in the business world and a key factor is to be innovative. Does anyone have any experiences at Rotman in which you had an idea and sat down with the most creative students and tried to make a product or think philosphically and change the world. Also, are most students at Rotman Career oriented( getting high marks) or Purpose oriented(marks isnt a main priority since having a positive impact in the world is). I hope im not too confusing for everyone but i just want my concerns to be expressed.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Windsongs4 Windsongs4

@ilikeyork wrote

@cliffhanger33 wrote

@Joshki wrote

Well said. I've heard that there are tons of international students at Rotman, so if you're looking for diversity, do NOT go to Rotman.
BTW I'm Chinese too but I don't want to be around people who can't even speak English for 4 years.

you are aware ilikeyork that schulich is also chock full of asians?? becuz accounting=asian and accounting=schulich; also at the uni open house -ALL chinese people represented schulich.

(im not bashing on chinese, some of my best friends are chinese- im just putting it out there)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of erudite erudite

@Windsongs4 wrote

@ilikeyork wrote

@cliffhanger33 wrote

@Joshki wrote

you are aware ilikeyork that schulich is also chock full of asians?? becuz accounting=asian and accounting=schulich; also at the uni open house -ALL chinese people represented schulich.

(im not bashing on chinese, some of my best friends are chinese- im just putting it out there)

I went to Schulich's open house and I saw a mixture of white, brown and asian people that represented Schulich...
And if they can't speak English, then i'd doubt that they'd do well in university anyway.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of MINTOK MINTOK

@Windsongs4 wrote

@ilikeyork wrote

@cliffhanger33 wrote

@Joshki wrote

I spend a lot of time in the Schulich building and I see a 32/32/32 split betwee asians, white and brown and we only have very few black students for some reason.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Windsongs4 Windsongs4
i didnt know it was a 32/32/32 split at schulich.. awesome :P

as for seeing only asians at the open house- maybe it was just the day that i went that it was like that
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Jack555 Jack555
at schulich if anything i'd say there are slightly more white people than asian or brown, although its pretty evenly split
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
If you were to rank diversity in the big business schools in Canada, it would go something like this:

Schulich (most diverse), Laurier = Ivey, McGill = UBC, Queens, Rotman (least diverse)

Of course this is just subjective and other people may disagree on my order. I would suggest not to consider diversity too heavily because each university has diversity and USUALLY there is a group of people from your culture.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@JJacobsen wrote

@jasonqw1 wrote

@JJacobsen wrote

i absolutely dont hate any specific culture. i love diversity and i live in a diverse city and i have more diverse friends than i do of my background or white. Im just dissapointed that Rotman is an innovative school for business yet it doesnt have knowledge from a wide range of cultures. In my opinion no one wants to be the only white/black/asian/brown person in a class. I just need some help, also, (regardless of culture) does Rotman have innovative students. I want to have a positive impact in the business world and a key factor is to be innovative. Does anyone have any experiences at Rotman in which you had an idea and sat down with the most creative students and tried to make a product or think philosphically and change the world. Also, are most students at Rotman Career oriented( getting high marks) or Purpose oriented(marks isnt a main priority since having a positive impact in the world is). I hope im not too confusing for everyone but i just want my concerns to be expressed.

can someone answer my concerns above? ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Was this helpful? Yes 0

wow its just really dissapointing, the only business school that has a great campus, great alumni, great connections, except for great diversity and a wide range of knowledge from other students. im just dissapointed i had everything figured out until now. i saw the class of 2014 and 90% was definetely asian. however, anyones experiences at rotman, are these particular students at rotman have an occupation mindset or a change the world mindset? i dont want to go to york their campus is really bad and u of t has amazing architecture. queens probably has less diversity and filled with canadian kids. ivey is in london ontario( self explanatory) and i hate the city of waterloo( my sister went their). ubc and mcgill is too far and i love toronto. if i plan on getting married at u of t with a business girl, is it even possible to have a diverse selection.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@JJacobsen wrote
wow its just really dissapointing, the only business school that has a great campus, great alumni, great connections, except for great diversity and a wide range of knowledge from other students. im just dissapointed i had everything figured out until now. i saw the class of 2014 and 90% was definetely asian. however, anyones experiences at rotman, are these particular students at rotman have an occupation mindset or a change the world mindset? i dont want to go to york their campus is really bad and u of t has amazing architecture. queens probably has less diversity and filled with canadian kids. ivey is in london ontario( self explanatory) and i hate the city of waterloo( my sister went their). ubc and mcgill is too far and i love toronto. if i plan on getting married at u of t with a business girl, is it even possible to have a diverse selection.

i wasnt focusing on punctuality so please bear with me, i just want all my thinking about u of t to be clear.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of MINTOK MINTOK

@JJacobsen wrote

lmao

sooo cute

p.s. personally, I like York campus much more than U of T. U of T doesn't even really have one... it's so integrated into the city that you don't know which building is part of U of T and which is just an apartment complex. However, the Hart House library is amazing.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@ZFero wrote
If you were to rank diversity in the big business schools in Canada, it would go something like this:

Schulich (most diverse), Laurier = Ivey, McGill = UBC, Queens, Rotman (least diverse)

Of course this is just subjective and other people may disagree on my order. I would suggest not to consider diversity too heavily because each university has diversity and USUALLY there is a group of people from your culture.

I dont really agree with the McGill=UBC diversity. If you know UBC and Vancouver (I'm from here), it is very very Asian. Some even say U of T = UBC; maybe UBC being slightly more diverse. UBC Sauders is legit almost all asians, arguably has one of the best connections to China coz of this.

Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of adrianfkh adrianfkh
This is a pretty interesting topic haha, I guess most top institutions in Canada are pretty diverse.

Yet, I can only give comments to the two schools that I have actually experienced living there.

Sauder: my school, I'd say one-third of my graduating class is from outside of the province. There are people from Germany, Iceland, Peru, Bangladesh, England, anywhere you name. Great diversity! I know that UBC might have had the image of a school filled with Chinese, but when you are everyday and have been observing, the diversity at UBC is actually fantastic! Although I will have to admit the Chinese here are slightly overpopulated.

Queen's: much less diverse than UBC, most people there are from within the country, 90% of the people I know are from greater Toronto and the rest are from Montreal, BC, etc. It is true. Queen's is a real white school. Yet, if you'd enjoy to study in such atmosphere and wish to find a career on the east coast. Queen's commerce will give you more than you need!
Was this helpful? Yes 0