yconic - Do i have a chance??!!
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Do i have a chance??!!

A photo of civilengineer civilengineer
Remember that U of T will calculate you average based on your 5 prerequisites and not your top 6. They want marks at least in the low 80's, which you are at right now, and with a good spf then yes you have a chance of getting in. If you can bring your chem mark to a low 80, then you would have a pretty good chance of getting in. By the way, they won't take you just because you're a girl, so there's really no point mentioning that.

Alas, I am not an admin person, so I cannot say for sure. :(
Was this helpful? Yes 0
10 replies

A photo of LindaS LindaS
Remember that U of T will calculate you average based on your 5 prerequisites and not your top 6. They want marks at least in the low 80's, which you are at right now, and with a good spf then yes you have a chance of getting in. If you can bring your chem mark to a low 80, then you would have a pretty good chance of getting in. By the way, they won't take you just because you're a girl, so there's really no point mentioning that.

Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of moneymoneymoney moneymoneymoney

@LindaS wrote

where did you hear that? and which 5 pre requisites will it be then?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of LindaS LindaS
Functions, calc, physics, chem and English.
It's somewhere on their website.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ninetyfour ninetyfour
From U of T's website:

Grade 12 Curriculum Requirements

Candidates in the Ontario Grade 12 curriculum must be completing the Ontario Secondary School Diploma or equivalent, and the following six Grade 12 U/M courses.

- English (ENG4U)
- Calculus and Vectors (MCV4U)
- Chemistry (SCH4U)
- Physics (SPH4U)
- Advanced Functions (MHF4U)
- One additional U or M course

Aha unfortunately (or fortunately) it is 6 courses for your admission average, not 5.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of iliketurtles iliketurtles
It's 5 courses if you are from outside of Ontario, 6 courses if you are an Ontario student.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of LindaS LindaS
No its for all students:

*It is expected that all students will have completed the Advanced Functions course as a co- or pre-requisite for Calculus & Vectors. However, in calculating the average, the Faculty will use the highest mark of the five elective courses.

http://www.mineralengineering.utoronto.ca/prospective/admission.htm
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of iliketurtles iliketurtles
The * refers to the Advanced Functions course which happens to be in a list of 5 electives. What they mean by they will be taking the highest of the five electives is that they will take the highest of one of those 5 that are listed (adv functions, data, bio, ESS, and geometry). They're still calculating your average based on 6 courses.
Also, new for 2012, MHF is a prerequisite. That means your mark is calculated based on english, calculus, functions, physics, chemistry, and your next highest U/M mark.
(for Ontario students)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ninetyfour ninetyfour
And since OP has taken "Advanced Functions", a course name from Ontario (other provinces have different names), it will be Top 6. Unless they are from Quebec in the grade 12 system..
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of LindaS LindaS
Yeah that's what I thought however,at the open house they kept reinforcing that the average is top 5. And the lady who came to my school also said it was top 5.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Road2gold Road2gold
Ahhh!!!! She's right!!
I called them just to make sure it's top 6 but NO!!!! It's TOP 5!
This sucks, it's really going to bring down my mark :(
Was this helpful? Yes 0