yconic - Do I have a chance, going into gr.11?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Do I have a chance, going into gr.11?

A photo of Asian Asian
Hey all!

I've been lurking around this forum a bit but have never gotten the chance to make a post. It looks like you all are very helpful and there's a great sense of community here. I've actually just started realizing that my mid-80's marks are not going to get me the career I want, and I've started really trying to improve my marks. I'm going into grade 11 this September, and I'm asking for an honest viewpoint on if I can improve my marks enough to try to get into UofT life sciences / McMaster Health sciences. My (awful) marks for grade ten were:

Music - Instrumental : 93
Music - Band Repertoire : 96
Music - Vocal : 94
Introduction to business : 95 (dropped from a 97)
Canadian History : 81
Civics : 77
English : 81
Career Studies : 98
Introduction to Computer Studies (computer science) : 93
Principles of Mathematics : 70
Science : 82

As you can see, my marks are all over. I am very disappointed with my math and science marks, partially because I did not study AT ALL this year. I've come to realize that I love science and helping people, which is why I've been leaning towards a career in the medical field. I would love to go to medical school in the future. The thing is, my marks for the past year were horrible. In the attempt to stay academically "fit", I've decided to take SCH3U (Gr. 11 Chemistry) in summer school, and I'm loving it. I'm learning a lot and studying hard. My average right now is 93 (top 10% of class, I think) and I hope I will do just as well in grade 11. My math mark was low partially because I did not understand my math teacher's teaching methods (my fault for not asking more questions.)

Again, I'm asking for an honest viewpoint on how my marks are and how I can improve. My school is very competitive (95% Chinese, LOL) and I'd like to be able to get a good education and have a good career. Having constructive criticism would be of great value to me.

I look forward to being a part of this community, and I'd love to meet all of you!

Thanks in advance,

Kenny
Was this helpful? Yes 0
21 replies

A photo of Viking21 Viking21
Hey man I was like with your maths. I hated my teacher...mainly because he had favorites and he taught the curriculum during the time when people used to come for "help"...I put the word help in quotations because these people were just there to suck up to the teacher...what made it worse is that we had a small class of 14 and about 9-10 people used to go in for "help" everyday at lunch...I had better things to do at lunch (lol...it was grade 10) like playing football or soccer. I ended up the course at a 72 dropped from 81(midterm)...honestly we had 4 evaluations during the whole year and he didn't even mark them he looked at the test (at a glance) and if he saw a mistake he would take off marks. His mark update before the exam was not proper at all for me it was 75-79...he had no sheets of marking whatsoever. But then in grade 11 too my bad luck I had the toughest teacher in the department for functions (mcr 3u) but it was a blessing in disguise I finished the course with a 71 and I thought I wasn't going to do well in advanced functions which I had the next semester... but I was wrong...by the end of the semester the highest marks in the class were everyone from my grade 11 teacher's class.

***Just make sure to learn as much as you can from your math courses...after finishing 4 math courses I still find grade 9 math the toughest (in all honestly)

As for science depends on your effort...people think physics is the hardest but if you are interested in that type of stuff (thinking questions that relate to life directly) then physics is gonna be easy...you don't even need to remember the formulas if u understand the basic concepts...you can answer the question. Bio for some people can really screw them over...depends I've heard if you keep up and understand the material and stay away from too much memorizing then ur fine. Chemistry in my opinion is fun...no idea why it just it is.

P.S. is your school really 95% asian...lol only school I think is that Asian is Bethune (I hate there volleyball team... we got killed )
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of inthemaking inthemaking
You have 2 years to pull up your science and math marks, so yes you have a chance. As long as you recognize that you need to work harder and get your prereq course marks to 90s by grade 12, you will definitely get into UTSG life sci and have a good shot at Mac health sci.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Asian Asian

@Viking21 wrote
Hey man I was like with your maths. I hated my teacher...mainly because he had favorites and he taught the curriculum during the time when people used to come for "help"...I put the word help in quotations because these people were just there to suck up to the teacher...what made it worse is that we had a small class of 14 and about 9-10 people used to go in for "help" everyday at lunch...I had better things to do at lunch (lol...it was grade 10) like playing football or soccer. I ended up the course at a 72 dropped from 81(midterm)...honestly we had 4 evaluations during the whole year and he didn't even mark them he looked at the test (at a glance) and if he saw a mistake he would take off marks. His mark update before the exam was not proper at all for me it was 75-79...he had no sheets of marking whatsoever. But then in grade 11 too my bad luck I had the toughest teacher in the department for functions (mcr 3u) but it was a blessing in disguise I finished the course with a 71 and I thought I wasn't going to do well in advanced functions which I had the next semester... but I was wrong...by the end of the semester the highest marks in the class were everyone from my grade 11 teacher's class.

***Just make sure to learn as much as you can from your math courses...after finishing 4 math courses I still find grade 9 math the toughest (in all honestly)

As for science depends on your effort...people think physics is the hardest but if you are interested in that type of stuff (thinking questions that relate to life directly) then physics is gonna be easy...you don't even need to remember the formulas if u understand the basic concepts...you can answer the question. Bio for some people can really screw them over...depends I've heard if you keep up and understand the material and stay away from too much memorizing then ur fine. Chemistry in my opinion is fun...no idea why it just it is.

P.S. is your school really 95% asian...lol only school I think is that Asian is Bethune (I hate there volleyball team... we got killed )

Yep! I go to Bethune LOL. Physics is my favourite science, I really like it for some reason. I think I'll do well next year in math, because I honestly had a teacher who did not teach the way I learn (my school has a lot of good math & good science teachers). My friend with a 98 average is also tutoring me every other week. Thanks for the input guys, hope to see more.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Ozinator Ozinator
You will hear Grade 9,10, 11 (in some cases) dont count. But those are your steping stone years to improve yourself, and develope adequate skills to enable yourself to get good grades in your 12 year.

Ive, excuse my language but, pissed on my first 3 years, obtaining 75 avg in 9 and 10, and 81~ in 11. I plan on going to competetive programs (Schulich, Health Sci, Western Ivey ect) and i know i have to work dilgently and obtain high nighty grades. Its possible, all it takes is clarity, hard work, and above all else, a willingness to try.

Cheers :cheers:

Oz
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Asian Asian

@Ozinator wrote
You will hear Grade 9,10, 11 (in some cases) dont count. But those are your steping stone years to improve yourself, and develope adequate skills to enable yourself to get good grades in your 12 year.

Ive, excuse my language but, pissed on my first 3 years, obtaining 75 avg in 9 and 10, and 81~ in 11. I plan on going to competetive programs (Schulich, Health Sci, Western Ivey ect) and i know i have to work dilgently and obtain high nighty grades. Its possible, all it takes is clarity, hard work, and above all else, a willingness to try.

Oz

Hi Oz,

Yeah, a lot of people have been saying that, but I REFUSE TO BELIEVE IT! Each grade really does lead into the next, and once your marks start to go down, it's a slippery slope.

My average was 86 in grade 9 and 87 in grade 10. I'm hoping to increase it to 92+ in grade 11, if I can. It looks like we're interested in the same programs, looking at your signature. With hard work, hopefully acceptance won't be something to worry about, haha! I'm sure we'll both make it, with a little hard work.

Thanks!

Kenny
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Viking21 Viking21

@Asian wrote

@Viking21 wrote

Yep! I go to Bethune LOL. Physics is my favourite science, I really like it for some reason. I think I'll do well next year in math, because I honestly had a teacher who did not teach the way I learn (my school has a lot of good math & good science teachers). My friend with a 98 average is also tutoring me every other week. Thanks for the input guys, hope to see more.

I knew it...you guys have an epic volleyball team. Damn Asians got hops.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of superstar2011 superstar2011

@Asian wrote

@Ozinator wrote

Oz

Hi Oz,

Yeah, a lot of people have been saying that, but I REFUSE TO BELIEVE IT! Each grade really does lead into the next, and once your marks start to go down, it's a slippery slope.

My average was 86 in grade 9 and 87 in grade 10. I'm hoping to increase it to 92+ in grade 11, if I can. It looks like we're interested in the same programs, looking at your signature. With hard work, hopefully acceptance won't be something to worry about, haha! I'm sure we'll both make it, with a little hard work.

Thanks!

Kenny

What courses did you choose in grade 11? I can tell you that if you did choose well, 92+ is absolutely doable. Grade 11 was in fact my best year in terms of marks, the lowest one being a 91 (which was Physics, by the way. Sorry if that scared you.) In contrast, I couldn't even get an overall average of that number in grades 9 and 10.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Ozinator Ozinator

@Asian wrote

@Ozinator wrote

Oz

Hi Oz,

Thanks!

Kenny

A 92+ will be quite easy if you work hard enough. I never worked to the point i barely did homework, only in my Advanced Functions and Physics class i did work to a certain degree, obtaining 94 and 91. Just do your work and you'll be fine.

Good Luck!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
Are you from Unionville High school? I ask cause you have all those music courses which resemble Arts York courses.

Anyways, it all depends on how hard you worked.

Your math marks are low, indeed. You`ll need to get a tutor because grade 9, 10, and 11 maths are as easy as they get. Science in grade 11 is also ass easy, so dont get too happy. I`m being a total douche right now, I know, but better to be a douche than to sugar coat everything.

If you are indeed from UHS, let me tell you that UHS chem, physics, and calculus have class averages of 70s, but most smart people get 90s if they work hard.

I hope you are one of them.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Asian Asian

@Daruki35 wrote
Are you from Unionville High school? I ask cause you have all those music courses which resemble Arts York courses.

Anyways, it all depends on how hard you worked.

Your math marks are low, indeed. You`ll need to get a tutor because grade 9, 10, and 11 maths are as easy as they get. Science in grade 11 is also ass easy, so dont get too happy. I`m being a total douche right now, I know, but better to be a douche than to sugar coat everything.

If you are indeed from UHS, let me tell you that UHS chem, physics, and calculus have class averages of 70s, but most smart people get 90s if they work hard.

I hope you are one of them.

I'm not from Unionville. I'm from Dr. Norman Bethune CI, but I love the music program. I did not work as hard as I could this year, but my math mark is partially because my teacher wasn't very good for me (I got 88 in grade 9, although it probably doesn't matter). I've already gotten my friend with a 98 average to tutor me every other week, and so far it's been helping a lot.

Thanks for the input, I appreciate knowing everything as it is without the sugar-coating.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Asian Asian

@superstar2011 wrote

@Asian wrote

@Ozinator wrote

Oz

Hi Oz,

Thanks!

Kenny

What courses did you choose in grade 11? I can tell you that if you did choose well, 92+ is absolutely doable. Grade 11 was in fact my best year in terms of marks, the lowest one being a 91 (which was Physics, by the way. Sorry if that scared you.) In contrast, I couldn't even get an overall average of that number in grades 9 and 10.

For grade 11 I'm taking

Functions
English
Accounting
Computer Engineering
Music - band
Music - repertoire
Music - vocal
Economics
Physics
Biology

and Chemistry in summer school, which I'm doing right now.

I like most of my choices, so I'm hoping to do well in them.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Asian Asian
Hey guys,

I was wondering if Grade 11 marks count for university acceptance. I totally screwed up a test for summer school chemistry and got 65%, and my average dropped dramatically to a 82%. I aced the first part of my exam today with the second part tomorrow, but I don't think my final mark will be any higher than an 88%. I plan to take Grade 12 chemistry in day school in grade 12 because it's a BHSc requirement, but I'm doubting my ability to get 90+% at this point.

What do you think? Do I need to have a STRONG understanding of Grade 11 Chem for grade 12 chem? Should I ask my guidance councilor to re-take grade 11 chemistry in day school?

Thanks.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of metro metro

@Asian wrote
Hey guys,

I was wondering if Grade 11 marks count for university acceptance. I totally screwed up a test for summer school chemistry and got 65%, and my average dropped dramatically to a 82%. I aced the first part of my exam today with the second part tomorrow, but I don't think my final mark will be any higher than an 88%. I plan to take Grade 12 chemistry in day school in grade 12 because it's a BHSc requirement, but I'm doubting my ability to get 90+% at this point.

What do you think? Do I need to have a STRONG understanding of Grade 11 Chem for grade 12 chem? Should I ask my guidance councilor to re-take grade 11 chemistry in day school?

Thanks.

Just have a solid grade 12 year, it doesn't matter
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of jelly jelly
You don't need to ace grade 11 to do well in grade 12. As long as you have a decent understanding and willingness to try in the future, you're good to go. You just need to know the fundamentals of the course that will be used for next year. As far as I know, grade 11 chem is pretty straightforward, all the calculations are fairly similar. You use simple equations and solve for one variable... if you're decent at math it really shouldn't be a problem. Life sci is not a difficult program to get into, there are a lot of acceptances in the mid-80s range. Health sci is a completely different story, there are people with high 90s who were rejected.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

A photo of nagareboshi nagareboshi
Hey I'm in the same position as you, I took a bunch of music courses with sciences and maths this year, and I'm going into grade 11 also. My music marks were the highest compared to my other course marks, haha. And i'm also trying to get into sciences in university. My provincials mark weren't that great but my average came around 88 percent. Don't worry too much and keep in mind that it's only grade 10 and it's not the end of the world. Just try really hard in grade 11/12 which I think it's the two years that matter the most. Yeah my school is like 95% asian so the learning environment is incredibly competitive, but don't let that get you down. I have friends who kept an average of 95% for gr.8 through 10. D: All you got to do is keep your chin up high and try harder. :) good luck .
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Gorges26 Gorges26
I can't believe how many people this Asian successfully trolled.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Asian Asian

@Gorges26 wrote

What do you mean trolled? This topic is completely serious.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of superstar2011 superstar2011

@Asian wrote

@Gorges26 wrote

What do you mean trolled? This topic is completely serious.

Way to bring that up now. :pig:
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Asian Asian
Hey again!

Old topic, I know, but I was looking for some input for my Grade 11 year so far. How are my marks?

Functions - 85
English - 70 (First assignment was a group presentation, we bombed it.)
Accounting - 100 (Like a baws.)
Computer Engineering - 97
Music - band - 95
Music - repertoire - 92
Economics - 97
Physics - 92
Biology - 93
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted