yconic - Do I have a Chance of getting Accepted?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Do I have a Chance of getting Accepted?

A photo of Westu Westu
I applied to only two Universities, York and Ryerson. York for both computer science programs and Ryerson computer science plus IT Management.

My marks:

English - 83

Physics - 70

Advance Functions - 68 (would of been way higher but I slacked of after midterm)

currently taking:

Calculus - 85

Data Management - 86

World Issues - 75

Average so far 77.8

Will I be able to get into York and Ryerson for Computer Science with a 77.8 Average? If my average was to drop to about 75 by midterms (April 14) would I still have a chance of getting Accepted?
Was this helpful? Yes 0
6 replies

A photo of seasharp seasharp
On eINFO, York's said "mid 70s" for BSc and "mid to high 70s" for BA. Ryerson says 70-73%. While I don't know anything about either's admission process, you'll probably get accepted to Ryerson; maybe York but later on in their rounds of offers (though they don't specify course marks aside from average). Probably want to keep Calculus and Data Management up if you want to have a chance.

One thing that might get you is if they have something like "No required mark below 70%" (i.e. your Advanced Functions). You picked a bad time/course to slack off in.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Bscit Bscit

@Westu wrote
I applied to only two Universities, York and Ryerson. York for both computer science programs and Ryerson computer science plus IT Management.

My marks:

English - 83

Physics - 70

Advance Functions - 68 (would of been way higher but I slacked of after midterm)

currently taking:

Calculus - 85

Data Management - 86

World Issues - 75

Average so far 77.8

Will I be able to get into York and Ryerson for Computer Science with a 77.8 Average? If my average was to drop to about 75 by midterms (April 14) would I still have a chance of getting Accepted?

What the hell is this. Its like you are saying "Oh Im smart but I didnt try."
If you were smart, you would not have slacked off. A lot of people who get low marks
slack off but what makes you special. I hope you know that slacking off will not be
accepted by universities, hence the admission average. York says wants 70% but they
wont say,
"Oh we'll take you because we know you can do better since you are a slacker"
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of 2012Applicant 2012Applicant

@Bscit wrote

@Westu wrote

My marks:

English - 83

Physics - 70

currently taking:

Calculus - 85

Data Management - 86

World Issues - 75

Average so far 77.8

If you were smart, you would not have slacked off. A lot of people who get low marks
slack off but what makes you special. I hope you know that slacking off will not be
accepted by universities, hence the admission average. York says wants 70% but they
wont say,

I know two people that were able to score over 60 on the senior CCC and high 70's/low 80's on the Euclid, but they were severely lazy. One went to college and the other went straight to work. Their averages were low to mid 70's in university courses.

I don't know why they didn't try so hard in school, but they were pretty smart and could solve many problems on contests, but they just didn't care for any of the work.

This being said, it is entirely possible to be smart and have an average set of grades because some students just aren't into the work.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Bscit Bscit

@2012Applicant wrote

@Bscit wrote

@Westu wrote

My marks:

English - 83

Physics - 70

currently taking:

Calculus - 85

Data Management - 86

World Issues - 75

Average so far 77.8

wont say,

I know two people that were able to score over 60 on the senior CCC and high 70's/low 80's on the Euclid, but they were severely lazy. One went to college and the other went straight to work. Their averages were low to mid 70's in university courses.

I don't know why they didn't try so hard in school, but they were pretty smart and could solve many problems on contests, but they just didn't care for any of the work.

This being said, it is entirely possible to be smart and have an average set of grades because some students just aren't into the work.

So would you say that not doing your work is smart? Who cares is they "can" get marks. Its if they do get high marks that get them that acceptance. Universities dont measure
a students IQ.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Westu Westu

@Bscit wrote

@2012Applicant wrote

@Bscit wrote

@Westu wrote

My marks:

English - 83

Physics - 70

currently taking:

Calculus - 85

Data Management - 86

World Issues - 75

Average so far 77.8

wont say,

So would you say that not doing your work is smart? Who cares is they "can" get marks. Its if they do get high marks that get them that acceptance. Universities dont measure
a students IQ.

Thanks For the Replies guys.

Bscit I'm not saying I'm smart I'm just saying I could of done better, I have a reason for slacking off on Advanced Functions. My Midterm Mark for English was really low because I'm not that great with English. So I spent most of the second half of the semester focusing on English to get the mark up from a 50.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Bscit Bscit

@Westu wrote

@Bscit wrote

@2012Applicant wrote

@Bscit wrote

@Westu wrote

My marks:

English - 83

Physics - 70

currently taking:

Calculus - 85

Data Management - 86

World Issues - 75

Average so far 77.8

wont say,

a students IQ.

Thanks For the Replies guys.

Bscit I'm not saying I'm smart I'm just saying I could of done better, I have a reason for slacking off on Advanced Functions. My Midterm Mark for English was really low because I'm not that great with English. So I spent most of the second half of the semester focusing on English to get the mark up from a 50.

Sorry if I sounded like a jackass. I just hate it when people slack off and act arrogant. I was in the same situation you are in so i dropped a class to concentrate on my other classes.
Was this helpful? Yes 0