yconic - Do I have a chance of getting into Rotman Commerce, Schulich, or Richard Ivey?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Do I have a chance of getting into Rotman Commerce, Schulich, or Richard Ivey?

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
Right now on my grade 12 first semester midterms my marks are

AF U - 81,
History U - 82,
Visual arts M - 97, and
Psychology M - 96

Which is an average at 89,

Two of those eighties will go up which will give me an above 90 average.
But, I also know those schools also look at extra curricular activities and for that I have;

- Official intern at a local art gallery
- freelanced a photography business with clients
- school art club/debate team member
- competed in local high school business competitions
- and I've been employed for three years now

Will those activities/marks be good enough for any of those schools? I'm stressing out that I wont be accepted into any of them!!

My Calculus and English are both next semester so I do not have those marks yet!
Was this helpful? Yes 0
7 replies

A photo of onlymatthew onlymatthew
If you have a ~90 average, then you definitely have a chance at all of those programs. Allow me to translate your chances into a more relatable situation: wooing the opposite gender (I'm going to have to assume you're a male interested in women because my experience with every other option is limited).

Ivey is like the kind of cute girl that knows she's cute. She's not willing to accept everyone because she has a reputation for her being a good catch, but at the same time is fairly reasonable with who she accepts. She's more into the overall big picture sort of character, you need to be well-rounded to appease her. For Ivey, all you need is an 87, slightly above average writing skills and slightly above average EC's.

For Schulich, I'd try to get your average to about 92 and then you will fulfil their "magic average quota". Schulich is like the girl who judges people against her pre-existing standards. If you unlock her heart and get the 92, you're almost guaranteed acceptance into the school. There are exceptions because Schulich is a classy girl who needs to maintain some quotas, but it's very mark driven.

Rotman is like the crazy girl. Sometimes all you need is a mid 80, but then Rotman turns around and rejects someone with a 95. She's not the cutest and her personality is filled with foreign influence. She's also pretty high-maintenance, so you should be careful with your decision. I feel that you should acquire Rotman with relative ease as well, though. Their admissions are often erratic though, so don't be sad if they reject you.

Your EC's are good enough for all of the programs, but remember that it really depends on how well you "sell yourself" (not like prostitution (prostitution is a good self-business but doesn't look good on these sorts of things)) in your applications. Also, I would just be dangerously careful with that AF U mark. If it dips into the 70's neighbourhood, you will be a very sad, sad person :cat:
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@onlymatthew wrote

Rotman is like the crazy girl. Sometimes all you need is a mid 80, but then Rotman turns around and rejects someone with a 95. She's not the cutest and her personality is filled with foreign influence. She's also pretty high-maintenance, so you should be careful with your decision. I feel that you should acquire Rotman with relative ease as well, though. Their admissions are often erratic though, so don't be sad if they reject you.

Your EC's are good enough for all of the programs, but remember that it really depends on how well you "sell yourself" (not like prostitution (prostitution is a good self-business but doesn't look good on these sorts of things)) in your applications. Also, I would just be dangerously careful with that AF U mark. If it dips into the 70's neighbourhood, you will be a very sad, sad person :cat:

Hmm, I do plan on working my ass off this semester to at LEAST get a 85 in AF U, so, hopefully my 90 + average will be achieved.
My #1 school would be Rotman, but from the things I've read they really are weird about their admissions, Ive heard people get in with an 83 and without even writing a personal statement!

Oh, and could you be more specific on the whole "not selling yourself" thing? I'm lost on what I should include in my person statements
Was this helpful? Yes 0

would anyone recommend any other good business/marketing programs? Preferably near the Toronto region?:bounce:
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Viking21 Viking21

@onlymatthew wrote
If you have a ~90 average, then you definitely have a chance at all of those programs. Allow me to translate your chances into a more relatable situation: wooing the opposite gender (I'm going to have to assume you're a male interested in women because my experience with every other option is limited).

Ivey is like the kind of cute girl that knows she's cute. She's not willing to accept everyone because she has a reputation for her being a good catch, but at the same time is fairly reasonable with who she accepts. She's more into the overall big picture sort of character, you need to be well-rounded to appease her. For Ivey, all you need is an 87, slightly above average writing skills and slightly above average EC's.

For Schulich, I'd try to get your average to about 92 and then you will fulfil their "magic average quota". Schulich is like the girl who judges people against her pre-existing standards. If you unlock her heart and get the 92, you're almost guaranteed acceptance into the school. There are exceptions because Schulich is a classy girl who needs to maintain some quotas, but it's very mark driven.

lol
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of onlymatthew onlymatthew

@MKYM wrote
would anyone recommend any other good business/marketing programs? Preferably near the Toronto region?:bounce:

I was being facetious about "not selling yourself", because selling yourself is a euphemism for being a prostitute. I would not recommend this avenue of work.

As you would assume, your supplementary and the ability to describe your EC's is extremely important. Don't be afraid to talk yourself up and slightly exaggerate all of your credentials. Emphasize on what you think the admissions people are looking for.

There are two main things you should think about when you're writing your application. Firstly, you want to be concise and succinct. You have a limited amount of word count and you need to utilize every possible character to make yourself more eligible. Take out all unnecessary filler that doesn't positively influence your candidacy. The ability to write concisely is key in university applications.

Secondly, you want to distinguish yourself. The degree to which you do this really depends on your own personal strengths. You don't have to completely avoid cliche lines like "I'm a good team player" or "I always take on leadership opportunities", but you will want to make it seem like you have an actual personality. You can do this in a number of ways including simply having an interesting past or being creative with your word choice.

In terms of suggestions for other universities, I would also say Queen's Commerce (they have a good edge on marketing I believe), and Laurier/Waterloo also have notable merit, depending on what you want to specialize in. It's pretty hard to go wrong with any of the universities you suggested, and you're fairly eligible for all of these programs as well.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of immaculatedx immaculatedx

@onlymatthew wrote
I was being facetious about "not selling yourself", because selling yourself is a euphemism for being a prostitute. I would not recommend this avenue of work.

Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of mundane12321 mundane12321

@onlymatthew wrote

looool
Was this helpful? Yes 0