yconic - Do I have a chance?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Do I have a chance?

A photo of zainy1993 zainy1993
I want to go into life science at mcmmaster or biomed at western. What are the chances you'll think i'll get in.

First Semester:
Adv Func: 90
Business: 90
Chemistry: 83

Second Semester:
Biology: 85
English: 82
Physics: 82
Calculus: 77

And I came to Canada this year, so if my grades arent high enough should i send mcmaster an extantunating application explaining why my grades arent as high as they should be.
Was this helpful? Yes 0
10 replies

A photo of Jack555 Jack555
what country did you come from? do you need to (or have you done) the TOEFL and literacy test?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Zion Zion
You applied to about 23 too many programs. What are your extenuating circumstances? Because I don't think "moving" qualifies.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

No i dont need to take TOEFL, I asked them. No clue why. But since i came to Canada in onyl grade 12 i couldnt find good partners for business at all. Not to mention that in Pakistan they didn't prepare us properly for phy and chem over here, so my marks werent as good as i thought they would be? I also had to complete all my 40 hours this semester, because they weren't accepting my hours from pakistan.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Muirhead11 Muirhead11
No, you should not get extenuating circumstances... that is unfair to other applicants, maybe you should have thought twice before you moved to Canada. Should stayed in Pakistan if you knew your marks were going to drop.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of cyynthiia cyynthiia
^
Ouch.

I do agree that you don't really have extenuating circumstances tho. I know so many people who just recently moved here from other countries but work twice as hard as we natives do to get high marks.
As for TOEFL - I'm pretty sure you're supposed to write it.. you only get excused from it if you've been in Canada for 3 years. :S
I would check up on that again.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Well, I got excused from writing TOEFL b/c I'm a Canadian citizen. My parents lived in Canada a long time before I was born. So, is there any chance for me at mcmaster life science or is my average simply too low.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
I've seen people get into Mac with mid-80s avg. No clue about Western though.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of kyleigh711 kyleigh711
I think you should give them a call and ask. Despite what some people are saying, many schools take that sort of thing into account when they offer acceptances. Western offers a specific form to fill out for extenuating circumstances, but I think you have to contact Mac directly.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Emaad13 Emaad13

@kyleigh711 wrote
I think you should give them a call and ask. Despite what some people are saying, many schools take that sort of thing into account when they offer acceptances. Western offers a specific form to fill out for extenuating circumstances, but I think you have to contact Mac directly.

+1
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Cuiter23 Cuiter23

@zainy1993 wrote
I want to go into life science at mcmmaster or biomed at western. What are the chances you'll think i'll get in.

First Semester:
Adv Func: 90
Business: 90
Chemistry: 83

Second Semester:
Biology: 85
English: 82
Physics: 82
Calculus: 77

And I came to Canada this year, so if my grades arent high enough should i send mcmaster an extantunating application explaining why my grades arent as high as they should be.

Your first semester seems solid, but your 2nd semester is a bit on the low side mainly cause your calc is bringing you down. Western Sciences entrance average is 88.5% (according to CUDO 2010), McMaster is 87.6%. You have applied to many universities, there is bound to be one that will accept you.

Good Luck!
Was this helpful? Yes 0