yconic - Do I have to be very fluent in English to be loved by Canadians?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Do I have to be very fluent in English to be loved by Canadians?

A photo of McGillian McGillian

I'm an international student and I have to say that I understand 90% of the lecture but I feel a bit awkawrd when a classmate talks to me with all these slang terms, in a way that I don't really get it.. And more funnier, I don't know how to respond on the same way. I feel im being really FORMAL with them because of my lack of English! haha :cyclops:

I'm naturally very very social person but when I came here to Canada I felt that without a good understanding of the Canadian society .. I will not last a day in school, and day by day I'm geting friendless.

So far, I'm doing well on my courses(80% average), but I neeed to engage more with Canadian friends without facing the fact that " I'm different " or, " I can't speak as well as they do".. My Canadian colleagues are starting to avoid talking to me ( and never invit me to parties and stuff ..) and I'm prety sure it's because of my freaking english & accent, plus of course because of the fact that I'm internatioal *different* :(

WHICH REALLY HURTS ME :(

I want to get as much canadian friends as possible...!!

Any tips on how to get them back?

And do you find what I'm facing.. Normal?
Was this helpful? Yes 0
2 replies

A photo of Jack555 Jack555
Good business question.

Anyways, sounds normal..
Try watching some TV shows to pick up on some slang if you think thats whats missing.
Just give it some time, it will get better.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of threepointonefour threepointonefour
If you're smart and naturally outgoing, hopefully people aren't so xenophobic as to avoid you. It could be that they don't know how to approach you or don't realize how good in english you actually are. Also, sometimes meeting people outside the classroom gives you a bit broader range of topics to talk about. So even if its meeting people playing an intramural or at a one-time event, that could open things up a bit more. Or if you have an assignment, ask people if they want to work with you on it. Personally, I enjoy talking to international students, but it can be intimidating because if you don't know how good their english is, it can get awkward because you have a hard time communicating.
Was this helpful? Yes 0