yconic - Do I need Calculus for Ryerson University?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Do I need Calculus for Ryerson University?

A photo of JesterS JesterS
I am currently in the 12th grade and am considering in applying for the business program at Ryerson University this winter.

Currently I am taking Data Management full year, and Advanced Functions semestered
(Calculus and Vectors is semestered and starts in January)

My current grade for Advanced Functions is 64% and I am still struggling a bit.
I have a choice to drop Calculus and transfer into the full year Advanced Functions Course, and not take Calculus and Vectors.

So, my questions are:
1. Is Calculus and Vectors a requirement to get into the business program (no specific program) at Ryerson University?

2. If I do not take Calculus and Vectors, will I have a less chance of getting in?
(I am doing fine in the other courses)

3. Would it be a good choice to drop Calculus and Vectors to transfer into the full year Advanced Functions class
(and perhaps get a better average by doing that?)

4. I heard that in first year university, you have to take Calculus anyways (is that true?).
And if so, will I mess up by not taking it this year?

Thank you.
Was this helpful? Yes 0
3 replies

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
1.No, but will be for next year admission.
2.No
3.If you are 100% sure you want to go into Ryerson and not U of T or other schools, I think it would be a good choice, less stress :D.
4. That, I don't know :(

What are you getting in Data Management?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of JesterS JesterS

@Oxidize wrote
1.No, but will be for next year admission.
2.No
3.If you are 100% sure you want to go into Ryerson and not U of T or other schools, I think it would be a good choice, less stress :D.
4. That, I don't know :(

What are you getting in Data Management?

What did you mean by "next year admission"?
I am currently in grade 12, and will apply for universities this winter.
Acceptances will be sent to the applicants the summer of 2012.

I am a bit confused. Did you mean the applications for universities in winter 2012?

And in Data, I'm getting at least an 80%.

I'm assuming you are also a business student (hopefully in Ryerson), so I was wondering if it was true that you DO have to take calculus during a first year business program?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
2013 admission :)

No, I am not in business program but my friends are at ryerson! I think its stats, not calculus. It's probably best to wait for a Ryerson student to answer :)

keep up with the data if you mess up adv func and calc you can still use data as pre-req :cheers:

REQUIRED:
BUS 100† Strategies for Success
ECN 104* Introductory Microeconomics
ITM 102* Business Information Systems I
QMS 102*¶ Business Statistics I
REQUIRED GROUP 1: Select one course:
ACC 100 Introductory Financial Accounting
ACC 110¶‡* Financial Accounting

Got it from this site: http://www.ryerson.ca/calendar/2011-2012/PDF/Business-FT-1112.pdf
Was this helpful? Yes 0