yconic - Do I need WORK EXPERIENCE?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Do I need WORK EXPERIENCE?

A photo of waazup waazup
On Ivey's website, it says:

A competitive application includes:

90%+ average in your final year of secondary school
Completion of a mathematics course for university-bound students
Demonstrated leadership in extracurricular activities, community involvement, and work experience.
Was this helpful? Yes 0
7 replies

A photo of heesoup heesoup
At the Ivey presentation, they said it's a bonus if you do have work experience. If you don't, that doesn't mean they will not look at your application...
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93
Going along with what heesoup said, if you do not have work experience you will still be considered.

But having work experience can definitely play a role in you getting accepted into Ivey, which as I'm sure you know is an extremely competitive program.

Applications and admissions aside, work experience is a big plus. Definitely try to get some as it will benefit you greatly.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of waazup waazup
Alright. I'll keep that in mind - will try to do something.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of LWilliams LWilliams
Obviously its an asset to have, and if you don't have it then it isn't terrible but other applicants may have some relevant work experience so you just have to beat them in the other criteria.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ecabby ecabby
Do you think that the work experience has to be business related to be an asset for your Ivey application?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of heesoup heesoup

@ecabby wrote
Do you think that the work experience has to be business related to be an asset for your Ivey application?

Nah. Any job experience is acceptable. It's good for one to possess various work experience whether it's waiting tables, telemarketing, delivering newspapers, etc.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
Uh... duh? :scratch: You should be working as soon as you're legally able to.
Was this helpful? Yes 0