yconic - Do multiple choice exams in univrersity piss you off?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Do multiple choice exams in univrersity piss you off?

A photo of Quiz Quiz
^Title.
Was this helpful? Yes 0
25 replies

A photo of mynameismattgotmlgo mynameismattgotmlgo
I HATE multiple choice exams. I typically do well on them though.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of littleroom littleroom
In high school, they were a breeze. In university, they're very frustrating. In a few of my exams, the multiple choice question were like this:

Question: ___________________?

A) Answer 1
B) Answer 2
C) Answer 3
D) Answers 2 and 3
E) Answers 1, 2, and 3

It might look easy, but it's not. The amount of detail packed into these sorts of questions was incredible. It's also exacerbated by the fact that professors have an uncanny ability to have at least one typo in each exam that seems to change the question altogether.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

I had one prof whose choices (a, b, c, d, e) would be, honestly, a paragraph (4-6 sentences) long. Most of it would be true, but he'd throw in a "NADH" rather than an "NADPH," and that'd be how you knew the choice was an incorrect one. What a dink.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Stranger Stranger

@littleroom wrote
In high school, they were a breeze. In university, they're very frustrating. In a few of my exams, the multiple choice question were like this:

A) Answer 1
B) Answer 2
C) Answer 3
D) Answers 2 and 3
E) Answers 1, 2, and 3

It might look easy, but it's not. The amount of detail packed into these sorts of questions was incredible. It's also exacerbated by the fact that professors have an uncanny ability to have at least one typo in each exam that seems to change the question altogether.

The multiple choice in my grade 12 bio was sorta like that. Everyone hated them. :P
There would be 5 or so statements and then the choices were like...
A) Answer I, II
B) Answer I, III, IV
C) Answer II, IV, V
D) Answer III, IV, V
E) Answer I, II, IV, V

:bounce:
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous

@littleroom wrote

A) Answer 1
B) Answer 2
C) Answer 3
D) Answers 2 and 3
E) Answers 1, 2, and 3

That is how all of our multiple choice test/exams are. They do suck.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of inthemaking inthemaking
Nah, I usually prefer them. I'm an agonizingly slow writer and more often than not run out of time for short answer/essay questions.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of esin esin
not math :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

The most common form of multiple-multiple is this (it even has its own name, "K-type multiple choice"): A) Answers 1, 2, and 3, B) Answers 1 and 3, C) Answers 2 and 4, D) Answer 4, and E) Answers 1-4. That's the one I'm most familiar with.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Muirhead11 Muirhead11

@littleroom wrote

A) Answer 1
B) Answer 2
C) Answer 3
D) Answers 2 and 3
E) Answers 1, 2, and 3

We get lots of those in high school.. not that hard
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of heesoup heesoup

@esin wrote

I am sure some math courses in uni do have MC exams...
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of esin esin

@heesoup wrote

@esin wrote

I am sure some math courses in uni do have MC exams...

Yes. they do. However they usually dont have the i, i & ii, i, all of the above kinds.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

Haha, sometimes a multiple-multiple exam will help you out.

For example:
1) w - not too sure, probably true
2) x - I know this to be true
3) y - never heard of this one... crap
4) z - this is definitely wrong

A) 1, 2, and 3 are true, B) 1 and 3 are true, C) 2 and 4 are true, D) only 4 is true, E) All are true.

Well, knowing that 4 is untrue, I can immediately rule out C, D, and E, and I know 2 is true, so I can also rule out B, so it MUST be A. I have no idea what answer 3 is, but I guess it is true. Answer 1 must also be true.

Simply by knowing that 2 is true and 4 is untrue, I was able to come to the correct answer (A).
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@Muirhead11 wrote

@littleroom wrote

A) Answer 1
B) Answer 2
C) Answer 3
D) Answers 2 and 3
E) Answers 1, 2, and 3

Wait until you get to university. I already said it looks easy, but they pack in a lot of detail and have small tricks like matt mentioned.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Quiz Quiz

@littleroom wrote

@Muirhead11 wrote

@littleroom wrote

A) Answer 1
B) Answer 2
C) Answer 3
D) Answers 2 and 3
E) Answers 1, 2, and 3

Wait until you get to university. I already said it looks easy, but they pack in a lot of detail and have small tricks like matt mentioned.

+1 IMO, when you get to university, it is better to excellent at exam-writing skills and mediocre at a subject, rather than be a master of the subject, and struggle with exam-writing skills. I am very intelligent and can apply myself very well, but I struggle with wording and details on multiple choice exams. Therefore, even though I am very intelligent, my marks do not necessarily show that.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

^ Well, profs don't care to ask good questions that call on some brain power; they'd rather just ask a bunch of questions that purely test how willing you are to memorize a bunch of facts and how able you are to recall memorized facts. I had only one professor (of probably 100) who felt it was better to test what people are able to do with what they learned rather than test what people learned; his exams were open book. Sad thing is, people immediately think open-book exams must be easy exams - his certainly were not.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of moodeline moodeline

@littleroom wrote

A) Answer 1
B) Answer 2
C) Answer 3
D) Answers 2 and 3
E) Answers 1, 2, and 3

Those are what my multiple choice questions have been like since grade eight....
Was this helpful? Yes 0

O...M...G...
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of akbadak akbadak
I've always been an essay and short answer guy, the MCs at UWO and i bet at most other unis were along the lines of choosing the "best" answer out of a bunch of correct ones, if you're good with those, then you'll be fine, if not...study!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of cosstickxx cosstickxx
No, I like them.
Although our phys prof would do some questions that were like "Which of the following are correct"
1. Dogs have 4 legs
2. Cats have 2 legs
3. Hamsters are a rodent
4. Elephants are tiny
5. Turtles are the fastest animal

(Lame example but it proves my point)

And then for an answer you'd have

A: if 1 and 3 are correct
B: if 2 and 4 are correct
C: if 1, 2, 3 are correct
D: if only 4 is correct
E: if all are correct

So sometimes it was nice because you'd be able to use what you DO KNOW to find the answer. But sometimes these questions screwed you over big time. They were usually on minor details too (of things like action potential, synaptic transmitter, the nephron, etc)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of aimango aimango
^ Lol i hate those kinda questions. Luckily with the courses I have been taking, I haven't had to face any of that XD It's all about problem solving.

I hear they like to put that on a lot of bio/chem exams at my school, though.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@moodeline wrote

@littleroom wrote

A) Answer 1
B) Answer 2
C) Answer 3
D) Answers 2 and 3
E) Answers 1, 2, and 3

Those are what my multiple choice questions have been like since grade eight....

Looking at your signature, it says you've yet to attend university. Read my post again. All of it. I expressly stated that it looks easy, but it's not. I even responded to someone else who thought they were as clever as you to point out that multiple choice questions have always been like that. I'll repeat what I said last time: the difference is the amount of detail they put into each question. With that detail, it's not so easy to say, "well, obviously C is wrong, and certainly A is wrong too, so it must be B." Professors are smart enough not to allow you to get the answer through elimination. You really have to know things to detail, and if you forget if, say, part X of physiological process Z uses ATP instead of GTP, it determines whether or not you get the question right.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of treecows treecows
I do prefer multiple choice, but they're not "easier" than essay exams. It also becomes a mental challenge. 3 hour exam that's all multiple choice? My brain burns out from reading so much, and I'm not as sharp when analyzing each answer.

University multiple choice is not dimwitted high school multiple choice where you basically can do process of elimination. Pretty much every time half the answers are essentially the same thing, with the slightest deviation from each other, and they're all correct. You then sit there trying to figure out what was the exact wording of the prof or textbook. It's great.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@treecows wrote
University multiple choice is not dimwitted high school multiple choice where you basically can do process of elimination. Pretty much every time half the answers are essentially the same thing, with the slightest deviation from each other, and they're all correct. You then sit there trying to figure out what was the exact wording of the prof or textbook. It's great.

Exactly. Hopefully the high and mighty high school students will understand this.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of waitaminute waitaminute
I loved my MC exams personally. I had them for Political Scienc and Computer Science and did well on them. I like them WAY more than essay exams.
Was this helpful? Yes 0