yconic - Do these cutoffs even make sense??
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Do these cutoffs even make sense??

A photo of plaidboy plaidboy
According to this: http://www.engineering.utoronto.ca/Assets/AppSci+Digital+Assets/pdf/faculty+council+minutes/Admissions+Cycle+2011+%28Report+3318%29.pdf

the cutoff for electrical engineering was 82.4 and track one was 86.4.

I thought U of T was one of the best engineering universities in the world?
Why was the cutoff for last year so low?
is there a reason to why electronic info says high 80s to low 90s for track one and mid 80s for electrical engineering, but these cutoffs say otherwise?
Would Waterloo's cutoffs be roughly the same or higher?

Was this helpful? Yes 0
11 replies

A photo of maelong maelong

@plaidboy wrote
According to this: http://www.engineering.utoronto.ca/Assets/AppSci+Digital+Assets/pdf/faculty+council+minutes/Admissions+Cycle+2011+%28Report+3318%29.pdf

the cutoff for electrical engineering was 82.4 and track one was 86.4.

I thought U of T was one of the best engineering universities in the world?
Why was the cutoff for last year so low?
is there a reason to why electronic info says high 80s to low 90s for track one and mid 80s for electrical engineering, but these cutoffs say otherwise?
Would Waterloo's cutoffs be roughly the same or higher?

u kidding me bro? :cyclops: :cyclops:
i was so scared when i first saw the average
and cut off average means 10 lowest admission averages among 300
the average you should see is the one that is next to cutoff mark

man i wasn't worried so much till i saw this
Was this helpful? Yes 0

you're saying those high 80 averages are the cutoffs??? Nooo wayy, but last year on einfo and on the site it says cutoffs are from low - mid 80s. Yeah now I'm really scared lol
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of iliketurtles iliketurtles
Admission averages have little to do with the overall reputation of the school. In fact, the entire undergraduate population of a school in general has little to do with the overall reputation of the school. U of T's engineering faculty has such a good reputation because its professors and PHd candidates write tons of great journals and make lots of discoveries. Why do they care if an 18 year old with an 83 average is in their class? It's just more money for them to make more great discoveries and lure even more students in for even more money and !!!!!!!!!!!
Also, a cut off usually means that's the absolute lowest with which someone can get into the program. It's not like everyone who has an average higher than the cutoff gets in, it just means they are considered.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of TheKey TheKey
As it mentions in the document "Cut-off is defined as the mean of the 10 lowest admissions averages". The average numbers gives the average overall percentage in the Top 6U/M courses (including the prerequisites), of ALL the students who got accepted within the program.

If you're within the range of the average, it's likely you will get in. Even if you're overall calculated percentage is between the cut-off and the average, it will make you a strong candidate.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

So is an 85-86 good enuff for U of T electrical engineering? I was thinking about the same thing, because their interpretation of cutoff is the average of the 10 lowest, and the average of applicants is much higher.

BTW, what do you guys think waterloo elec/comp. engineering cutoffs will be like? When I went to the uni fair, the head of the admissions told me its usually in the mid-80s, would that be like 85?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of TheKey TheKey

@plaidboy wrote
So is an 85-86 good enuff for U of T electrical engineering? I was thinking about the same thing, because their interpretation of cutoff is the average of the 10 lowest, and the average of applicants is much higher.

BTW, what do you guys think waterloo elec/comp. engineering cutoffs will be like? When I went to the uni fair, the head of the admissions told me its usually in the mid-80s, would that be like 85?

A person with an 85% - 86% would be a strong candidate for sure for UofT Electrical Engineering.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of LindaS LindaS
I remember talking to the admissions person and he said that if you're within 5% of the average you're pretty safe. Also, he said that the cut off doesn't really mean anything since those 10 people probably have extraordinary ECs and therefore are able to get in with a lower average.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Yeah I was thinking the same thing too, it's like how Waterloo admits people with much lower averages than usual in the 80s as opposed to 90s, because of their ECs. I guess I have decent ECs, so that could help me out too.

Does the open houses help? I missed U of T's, but I was planning on going to Waterloo's. Do they answer questions about cutoffs, program workloads, etc?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@LindaS wrote
I remember talking to the admissions person and he said that if you're within 5% of the average you're pretty safe. Also, he said that the cut off doesn't really mean anything since those 10 people probably have extraordinary ECs and therefore are able to get in with a lower average.

but then within 5% also means you can get with a much lower average for track one/engineering science? or did he mean the specific streams?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of LindaS LindaS

@plaidboy wrote

@LindaS wrote

but then within 5% also means you can get with a much lower average for track one/engineering science? or did he mean the specific streams?

I think he ment within 5% below the average for which ever stream you're applying for. So of the average is 90% then you'll have a pretty good chance of you have above 85%. But if you have extraordinary ECs then you can probably get in with a bit lower.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Antidote Antidote
Hey! Could you find the cutoff for U of T faculty of arts and science? :)
If you could, finding out the cutoff for Waterloo faculty of Math would be great appreciated :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0