yconic - Do U Need Biz Courses in gr 12 to do well in Uni
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Do U Need Biz Courses in gr 12 to do well in Uni

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
can i still do as well as other students if i don't take any business courses in gr 12 like economics or accounting?
Was this helpful? Yes 0
4 replies

A photo of TMLeafs TMLeafs
from what I've heard, it will help you, but not very much.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Businessboy Businessboy
they are not prerequisites, but, it is still a really good idea to take them. My teacher told me that if you are taking accounting in university, they go through the grade 11 and 12 material within 2-3 weeks.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of bcd92 bcd92

@Businessboy wrote
they are not prerequisites, but, it is still a really good idea to take them. My teacher told me that if you are taking accounting in university, they go through the grade 11 and 12 material within 2-3 weeks.

Yes, i've heard the same.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93

@bcd92 wrote

@Businessboy wrote

Yes, i've heard the same.

Not true, unless your high school accounting teacher is terrible. As far as I know, every "Intro to Financial Accounting" or similar course (usually found in first year or sometimes second year of business programs) covers everything in high school accounting (maybe going a little bit more in-depth) as well as cash flows and bonds. Some schools (such as mine) cover cash flows and bonds, but most don't. Usually those are the two "new" concepts for students and the most difficult part of the course for most people. But since I covered both in high school, there was nothing "new" really for me.

Every first year business course (and sometimes second year courses) assume no prior knowledge.

That being said, it will be easier if you are familiar with the content before it's covered.

Our accounting prof reminded us that the mark breakdown between those that took accounting and those that didn't showed no correlation, fwiw.

Was this helpful? Yes 0