yconic - Do universities care about co-op?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Do universities care about co-op?

A photo of strawberryy strawberryy
Hey guys,

I decided to take co-op this year (gr. 12) and although I haven't received my placement yet, I'm wondering whether or not if I should go through with it since it does create some schedule conflicts for me. I'm just wondering how universities view a co-op experience? My guidance counselor told me it's not really work experience because it's a course so I'm just wondering if it's still worth it? Sorry, I'm really lost, not sure if this counts as an "obvious question."

Thanks!
Was this helpful? Yes 0
6 replies

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
Yes, it demonstrates your involvement in EC's and using them to be involved in gaining work experience. But it's not like Co-Op. would make or break your university entrance.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93

@ARMY101 wrote
Yes, it demonstrates your involvement in EC's and using them to be involved in gaining work experience. But it's not like Co-Op. would make or break your university entrance.

This.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Doorhandle Doorhandle
Make sure your co-op credits are U/M level credits and that you have enough U courses for whatever you're applying to. Many co-op courses only give O level credits, which count for nothing when applying to schools.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of awaysheflew awaysheflew
It depends.

If the universities that you're applying to don't have supplementary applications, then no. In this case, they'll only care about your grades and most universities explicitly state that they don't count co-op grades.

However, if your program requires a supplementary application, then yes, co-op could be to your advantage. For example, when I applied to Carleton's Social Work program last year, I was able to talk about how my co-op placement at a mental health drop-in centre helped prepare for me a career in social work. I ended up being offered admission to the program. So if you're considering applying to a competitive program that requires additional information, I'd definitely recommend co-op.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of DayOnBay DayOnBay
If you can find a way to include that into your supplementary application, work experience relating to your field of choice would you great.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of DayOnBay DayOnBay
If you can find a way to include that into your supplementary application, work experience relating to your field of choice would you great.
Was this helpful? Yes 0