yconic - Do universities care whether you took Gifted courses or not?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Do universities care whether you took Gifted courses or not?

A photo of spicelatte spicelatte
I took gifted classes in grade 11 - and some of my marks suffered a bit.
So I don't know whether to take gifted courses in grade 12 or not.

Obviously, the course content is more difficult at times, and there is a lot more stress. However, I know that 90% of my classmates will be sticking with the program next year.
I don't understand why they would do that though, considering it will be harder to get good marks.

Do universities give preference to these type of courses?

And as well, do universities care about the high school you went to? (Mine tends to give out ridiculously low math marks).

Was this helpful? Yes 0
9 replies

A photo of cyynthiia cyynthiia
They don't have time to go around and search up every single high school, so in short, no.. it doesn't matter what high school you go to.
As for "gifted" courses.. no.. not really either. Unless you mean IB or AP, then that's a different story.
I'd save myself the troubles and just take normal classes to get the high grades you need for university.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

A photo of heesoup heesoup
I don't think they care. I took gifted courses in grades 9 & 10 and although they were rewarding in terms of friendships and academic challenges, they weren't that different from normal classes.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of dLins dLins
Unless you're in some gifted program that you can put on your supplement, I would say that individual gifted/honour courses aren't that helpful for university applications.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Meridian Meridian
I would look at your own priorities and path forward first and not so much what your friends are doing. Universities probably don't recognize anything being done at your local school. "Gifted" programs at my school means something different - smile. I would not include that term in any scholarship applications either.

What do you plan to apply for in Unni ? What are the minimum requirements for that program ? Can you meet those requirements ? Could you do better and get a 90% or 95% grade 12 average taking the "normal" 4U courses. Those are both significant average points for scholarships. Nail a 95% and spend quality time on your applications and you could get some serious money.

On the other-hand, will the "gifted" courses in grade 12 give you opportunity to study/write AP exams. Those may give you exemptions or even credits in many universities. Are the advanced courses taught by fabulous teachers that you can learn really well from ?

Figure out the best way forward for you to achieve your own goals.

Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of spicelatte spicelatte
Okay, thanks a lot guys.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of onlymatthew onlymatthew
I know for at least in Ontario, if you're taking an enhanced course, the last letter of your course code would be different. For example, enhanced biology is SBI4UE as opposed to SBI4U0 at my school. However, universities only see the first five characters in your code and I'm not sure if they can immediately tell if you're in the enhanced program, though. In my personal experience though, the enhanced program may be slightly harder, but I've always found it to be worthwhile
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

A photo of asdf098 asdf098
If you are applying somewhere outside of Canada (e.g. in the States), they will definitely care. Good universities really like students who take the hardest course load that is available to them. Most places in Canada, however, won't care. In fact, they won't even be able to care, since they will not see that 6th course code letter.

In my school board, "Gifted" courses run in grades 4-10, and some schools give you the option to continue onto Advanced Placement (AP) classes in grades 11-12. (The AP courses usually list the Gifted courses are prerequisites.) Some universities ask for AP scores. For instance, the U of T Engineering online supplementary application asked for AP Calculus, AP Physics, and AP Chemistry scores (and lets you list any additional APs/SATs). The McGill application also lets you report AP and SAT scores. I cannot say that I know the actual effect of reporting these scores on you admission chances; however, it would be reasonable to conclude that if they ask for it, they might look at it.

In short, just taking your school's own "Gifted" course is useless for Canadian university admissions. If you like the challenge and can keep up with the more difficult curriculum, definitely go for it. If you can't do it, then save your marks. Take the U/D class.

[edit] I forgot to mention IB. It is an alternate path to AP, but I can't comment on it because my school does not offer it. It should offer similar advantages.
Was this helpful? Yes 0