yconic - Do universities look at victory lap marks?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Do universities look at victory lap marks?

A photo of reaganbells reaganbells
I live in a really small town, so it's near impossible to get the courses I desire each year because enough students don't sign up for them. Therefore, I have decided to stay for a "victory lap" at high school in order to get a few extra marks and raise my average.

My average is currently 84%, namely because I was forced to take courses I didn't want to/am not particularly good at in order to graduate (math, for example). I want to apply to Queen's for the arts (I have multiple ec's and a part time job so I'm not too worried about my PSE). I have 90%+ in all the U artsy courses I've taken. I am staying an extra year NOT to repeat courses, but to take a couple of other (new) ones. I want to replace two marks I currently have with two new university course marks. Will universities look at these marks? I could easily bring my average up to an 88% if so since students this year actually signed up for these courses I wanted. They are both first semester. I am just worried because applications are usually due about a month before final marks for first semester go out.

Please help me, I am really stressing out over this.
Was this helpful? Yes 0
6 replies

A photo of ktel ktel
I think Queen's takes a supplementary application where you could explain why you took a victory lap. But lots of kids do it, and to repeat courses too, so I doubt they would care, especially for arts.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Uncotran Uncotran
It all depends on your program and how prestigeous it is. I don't know for your program in particular, but I have a friend who also took a 5th year and he applied for UofT engineering and didn't get in; with that being said, all other unis accepted him including waterloo, mcgill, queens, etc.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

They will look at these marks though, yes? No repeated courses, just taking a couple of other university ones to replace two marks I'm not as pleased with.

Also I just want to apply simply for the arts.

It'd be nice if they looked specifically at the marks you achieved for specific courses, because the mark that's bringing my average down significantly is math, even though I wouldn't need it. I want to apply for the ARTS and I received a 97 in English and 92 in Writer's Craft, etc. showing my capability to handle such a program.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ktel ktel
They're only going to look at your 6 highest marks, including your prerequisites. If the only prereq is English, then they will look at your English mark and your next 5 highest marks (using a maximum of 2 M courses). Your English mark is stellar, so you should be good to go for Queen's arts.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of superstar2011 superstar2011

@reaganbells wrote
They will look at these marks though, yes? No repeated courses, just taking a couple of other university ones to replace two marks I'm not as pleased with.

Also I just want to apply simply for the arts.

It'd be nice if they looked specifically at the marks you achieved for specific courses, because the mark that's bringing my average down significantly is math, even though I wouldn't need it. I want to apply for the ARTS and I received a 97 in English and 92 in Writer's Craft, etc. showing my capability to handle such a program.

If you reapply, I'm sure they will ignore your math mark if you beat it with another course. After all, it is the top 6 U/M that they are looking for, including all your prerequisites. Since you said math is not required, your mark in math can be ignored.

But think about your overall average- is it enough for the programs you are wiling to enter? If so, I would think you're overkilling. Don't spend extra time and effort for something you don't need. If your math mark brought you down so far that it ISN'T good enough, the victory lap would be a good idea. Otherwise, you might want to rethink it.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Thank-you very much for your help and reassurance ktel and superstar2011. I can now de-stress. All the best with your studies. :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0