yconic - Do universities really look at your chemistry mark (when it's a prerequisite)?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Do universities really look at your chemistry mark (when it's a prerequisite)?

A photo of bonanza14 bonanza14
Hi there,
I am a grade 12 student and I've just received my first semester final marks...
I didn't do well at all in chemistry because I just had a really hard time understanding my teacher. Compared to the rest of my class, I did extremely well but unfortunately that will not make a difference in the eyes of the universities.

If my chemistry mark is relatively low, will it make a huge impact on the rest of my application? Will this jeopardize early acceptance and/or regular acceptance?
Considering chemistry is a prerequisite, will they value a higher mark in chemistry than one of my other marks which is not a prerequisite.

My marks are:
Chemistry 80%
Human Growth and Development 94%
Advanced Functions 88%
English 92%

Thanks for your help :compress:
Was this helpful? Yes 0
10 replies

A photo of inthemaking inthemaking
Yes they'll look at it and it matters. It doesn't matter if you got 99% in your non-prereq courses, all they use to calculate admission average are your top 6 including prereqs (for Ontario universities, at least).
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous

@bonanza14 wrote
Hi there,
I am a grade 12 student and I've just received my first semester final marks...
I didn't do well at all in chemistry because I just had a really hard time understanding my teacher. Compared to the rest of my class, I did extremely well but unfortunately that will not make a difference in the eyes of the universities.

If my chemistry mark is relatively low, will it make a huge impact on the rest of my application? Will this jeopardize early acceptance and/or regular acceptance?
Considering chemistry is a prerequisite, will they value a higher mark in chemistry than one of my other marks which is not a prerequisite.

My marks are:
Chemistry 80%
Human Growth and Development 94%
Advanced Functions 88%
English 92%

Thanks for your help :compress:

No crap they'll look at your chem mark. It's not called a prerequisite for nothing.

Also, an 80% is fine. You would get in anywhere (reasonable).
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of bonanza14 bonanza14
I should clarify.
What I meant was I will be handing in much higher grades for my top 6 (all averaging around a 90-94 even for the other prerequisites) but will they look negatively if chemistry, a large component of the studies for the program I'm applying to, is not a very high mark?

Do universities just care about your overall top 6 average or do they look at each prerequisite course specifically?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

A photo of cyynthiia cyynthiia
That wasn't a very good clarification.

If chemistry is a REQUIRED grade 12 course for calculating your admission average, then yes, they will look at it.
If it ISN'T REQUIRED, then they will ONLY look at and calculate your top 6, including whatever other required courses you might need.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Katsurin Katsurin
What if you redo your chemistry during night school of second semester, depending on the university, they usually take the highest of the two marks right?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

A photo of Katsurin Katsurin
Oh, and does anyone know if taking chemistry in night school is easier?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of BrittV BrittV
Chemistry in night school wouldn't neccessarily be easier, but it would probably have less work to do because you have to cover so many topics in such little amount of time. So there is a possibility that the tasks you perform would be easier.
Also, if chemistry is a prerequisite, then yes, universities will look at it, but will also take other 4U courses into consideration
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of dearjasminee dearjasminee
I did pretty bad in chem this semester and I'm retaking it in night school :( I know that Waterloo cares about retaking it but what about the other universities? and also what if the requirement is only one science, will they take my higher mark say in like bio instead?
Was this helpful? Yes 0