yconic - Do Universitys Look At This..?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Do Universitys Look At This..?

A photo of Tee604em Tee604em
So i applied for UBC and SFU.. havent heard back yet.

In my anxiousness, i just wanted to know. Do universitys look at past school records and the school history of students?
Was this helpful? Yes 0
8 replies

A photo of cyynthiia cyynthiia
Don't think so.
All they get from the ministry (for now) is your transcript with all your grades.. but that is grades since grade 10.
What's your average looking like right now?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of andrewk512 andrewk512
Past school records? You mean like suspensions/absences? They don't care.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

A photo of chatmike chatmike
If you mean suspensions and such. Nope. That's all internal to your high school.

Well, they won't get it unless your guidance counselor is a dick and emailed them your records :p
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Quiz Quiz

@chatmike wrote
If you mean suspensions and such. Nope. That's all internal to your high school.

Well, they won't get it unless your guidance counselor is a dick and emailed them your records :p

Guidance counsellors should be required to do this, IMO, since marks are not everything and maturity counts for a lot in uni.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of PaperPen PaperPen

@Quiz wrote

@chatmike wrote

Guidance counsellors should be required to do this, IMO, since marks are not everything and maturity counts for a lot in uni.

I agree that marks are not everything, but a suspension for something stupid you did in Grade 9 shouldn't affect your university choices too. People do grow up and mature. Let's make university a fresh start. Repeat offenders/serious offenders, maybe.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of helenbaker1993 helenbaker1993
this was one of my main concerns when applying to university as well. through grade 9-11, i had a 60 average, took a lot of college level courses, and failed three courses. the summer before grade 12 i smartened up, made up missing credits, signed up for 4U level classes, and managed to get a 93 average. my grade 12 marks got me into mcgill which is regarded as one of canada's best, so obviously my past records didn't matter. grade 11 marks are only important if you want early admission and some scholarships. just do your best in grade 12!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Zion Zion

@PaperPen wrote

@Quiz wrote

@chatmike wrote

I agree that marks are not everything, but a suspension for something stupid you did in Grade 9 shouldn't affect your university choices too. People do grow up and mature. Let's make university a fresh start. Repeat offenders/serious offenders, maybe.

+1

If it's multiple infractions, an expulsion, or something criminal then sure, it should affect acceptances. But one suspension for something stupid (you can get suspended for anything now) should not hurt one's chances.

And yes, I've been suspended. But I also have a 97 average.

I feel sorry for kids in America. One suspension and they're done.
Was this helpful? Yes 0