yconic - do you agree/disagree with this quote
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

do you agree/disagree with this quote

A photo of EastSideBoyz EastSideBoyz

Seems these days, accountants and the finance/banker wannabe crowd is running straight into a trainwreck. Just like those IT guys who were unlucky enough to graduate in the past decade to high unemployment.

Alot of people on this forum wish to become CA's and whatnot but the amount of grads going into these streams are just overfloading the market and hence making it even much difficult to find a job in those type of fields..
Was this helpful? Yes 0
18 replies

A photo of g93 g93
I am not worried in the slightest. I do believe that networking will become even more prevelant however, as there will be lots of competition.

Oh, and all the baby boomers are going to be retiring/dying right?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of waazup waazup
Lol, Highly disagree.

Seems like a hater or jealous "wannabe" wrote that.

First of all, it is untrue, he is just trying to kill the hope for many.
He obviously will not make it far in life if he keeps writing those sort of comments.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of AZK AZK
I highly agree with that quote
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Slowwy Slowwy
yeah it is true that there's a large number of people going into business. However, do all of them make it to the very end?

It's like saying a lot of people want to become doctors..How many end actually up being one?..
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of IanSharer IanSharer
It was never exactly easy to become a banker/CA, and now more than ever competition is fierce. Take the quote with a grain of salt and use it as motivation to strive for your best.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of VegaKrazmych VegaKrazmych
If you're the sort of person to be deterred by that, you wouldn't make it anyway.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of forthewinwin forthewinwin
Somewhat, although it wouldn't affect my goals.

If you can truly set yourself apart rather than just simply blend into the crowd, then you should be fine. As for me, I'm making sure I'm one of the few top students.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of immaculatedx immaculatedx
Basically.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of kdesjardins kdesjardins

@VegaKrazmych wrote
If you're the sort of person to be deterred by that, you wouldn't make it anyway.

If you're the sort of person to not consider that, you wouldn't make it anyways.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous

@g93 wrote
I am not worried in the slightest. I do believe that networking will become even more prevelant however, as there will be lots of competition.

Oh, and all the baby boomers are going to be retiring/dying right?

Valid point. Plus, if you graduate from a top-notch school (or just a respectable one like Mac, Ryerson) and not Fleming College for example, you're still ahead of the majority.

So no, I have to disagree with the original quote.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of waazup waazup

@kdesjardins wrote

@VegaKrazmych wrote

If you're the sort of person to not consider that, you wouldn't make it anyways.

Not really. You can totally ignore it and go for your goal.
It is true that the really motivated ones DO get what they want.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

[quote=EastSideBoyz]
Seems these days, accountants and the finance/banker wannabe crowd is running straight into a trainwreck. Just like those IT guys who were unlucky enough to graduate in the past decade to high unemployment.

Disagree.....IT guys still find a good number of jobs; computers arent going anywhere...and no one can tell what will happen in the future with accounting or finance/banking therefore such a statement is false. If you enjoy accounting or finance/banking then do it. If your just doing it entirely for money then you'll end up hating your job.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of waazup waazup
When you say IT, are you talking about business, or the other computer eng/software people?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of SUMmer123456 SUMmer123456
Highly agree. Don't believe me? Read this: http://lauravanderkam.com/2008/11/07/white-collar-sweatshops/
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@SUMmer123456 wrote
Highly agree. Don't believe me? Read this: http://lauravanderkam.com/2008/11/07/white-collar-sweatshops/

That's investment banking though....One of the most competitive, most gruelling business jobs. They get laid off all the time - that's the risk you take but the reward is that it's extremely well-paying.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Chara Chara
Perhaps, but it's impossible to tell for sure. Supply and demand is always a factor in employment and salaries, but there are so many variables and so many things that can change that deciding your career based on perceived oversupply in coming years isn't an intelligent choice.

Where is this quote from anyways?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Chara Chara
Perhaps, but it's impossible to tell for sure. Supply and demand is always a factor in employment and salaries, but there are so many variables and so many things that can change that deciding your career based on perceived oversupply in coming years isn't an intelligent choice.

Was this helpful? Yes 0

@Chara wrote

+1
Was this helpful? Yes 0