yconic - Do you ever read the materials beforehand?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Do you ever read the materials beforehand?

A photo of hkbialik hkbialik
Is there anyone out there who likes to read the textbook before the class starts to get a head start? Have you found it helpful?
Was this helpful? Yes 0
14 replies

A photo of inthemaking inthemaking
I rarely read the textbook at all. I'm not a big textbook learner.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of xxMoonCakezxx xxMoonCakezxx
Yeah, it's helpful. Do it.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of alyciap alyciap
It'll always be somewhat helpful, especially in University, but it's always more important to make sure you understand what you've already gone over before trying to absorb new information.

If you understand the previous material, and have the spare time, then it's a great idea.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of elmadany elmadany
Yess, it makes you feel ahead of the game.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
I'm in grade 12 and I never read a textbook beforehand. That may change once I'm in uni though.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of mynameismattgotmlgo mynameismattgotmlgo
I read the material before every class in first-year biology for like a month or two. Haven't done so once since then. And never once in the 5+ years since then have I felt the need to do so. What a waste of time.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of crazyman123 crazyman123
I don't. I prefer reading it AFTER the lecture.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of kangarookangaroo kangarookangaroo
It depends on your strengths and weaknesses. For example, I don't bother too much with Math but with Chemistry, I do read ahead a bit just so that when the teacher goes over it, it's more clear to me and I can pose any questions that I may have had during my reading. It's a great tactic (but certainly, takes a lot of focus to keep up).
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
Yes, always. We're told to have the readings done for that day before class so that we can read the materials, then the professor's class can supplement our knowledge. It also allows for the Socratic method.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Shaya Shaya
It definitely depends on what kind of courses you are taking. Sometimes if you are taking arts courses it is very important to have the assigned readings done for class. You can usually get a feel for what courses you have to do the readings before class and which ones you can either read at your own pace or skip all together. For example, if your prof assigns short essays every week on what you have read you might want to think about keeping up with your reading. ;)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of mynameismattgotmlgo mynameismattgotmlgo
^ That's a good point. Courses that involve didactic teaching (i.e. a teacher stands in front of a class and riddles off lots of information, as students rather mindlessly take notes and only partially listen to what the teacher is saying) typically do not actually require doing pre-readings.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of MarieAlyssa MarieAlyssa
It depends on the course and how your prof goes about the lecture. Other profs just use the lecture to tie the concepts together and help you get a better understanding of the course material. If that's the case then read ahead for the class. Other profs have everything they'll test on on their lecture notes... For that, I suggest you refer to the book if you don't understand some concepts. =)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of christinams christinams
I usually always read the assigned textbook pages before the lecture-if I have time. It's very helpful because then the concepts the prof goes over are slightly familiar.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Heatherrsaurus Heatherrsaurus
depends on the prof really. I have profs who follow the textbook religiously, and others who just touch upon what is mentioned in it. doesnt hurt though.
Was this helpful? Yes 0