yconic - Do you get a lot of ants in the house?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Do you get a lot of ants in the house?

A photo of eveAintCool eveAintCool
I don't know if it's because of the warmer weather lately, I've seen quite a few ants around in the kitchen and in my room.
I rent a house and I live on the upper floor. I've no idea where these ants came from.
Do you guys see a lot of these insects around in spring? Is it normal?
I just wanna know if I should do anything in case it starts to get more around. If it's normal to see a few this season I guess I'll just let them be there.
btw I'm pretty sure they're not termites. They're just big, black ants. (Don't know if they bite thou:/ )
Was this helpful? Yes 0
16 replies

A photo of Wendy_D Wendy_D
This is always a problem in my house.

My family kinda lives out in the country, and we joke that it is a sign of spring when we see tons of ants. They don't bite.

My advice is to keep your kitchen pretty clean (like free of crumbs on the counters, etc.), and to get some ant poison if they really bother you. Either way, 'ant season' normally doesn't last more than a few weeks for us.

Hope that helps.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of kraken kraken
if they are tiny black ants (what we have now), they are harmless and just want to eat your noms.

if they are BIG black ants, they probably carpenter ants who are eating your house. get an exterminator.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of thecookiemonster thecookiemonster
has anyone seen that crazy ant movie... watch that and you'll be getting rid of them faster than a fat kid on a smartie
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
They will get really annoying. Ants will multiply and you will end up seeing them everywhere. I would suggest little traps (sticky traps or poison, I prefer the sticky stuff) or call your landlord and see if they will hire a company to spray the area.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of StudentAtStPats StudentAtStPats
No ants at my place, but PLENTY of earwigs... ew. Still gross after 7 years with them.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
One time my bedroom got infested with earwigs and spiders. I was up for 2 hours every night at 1 in the morning when they would all come in from the window, stomping on them for a week straight, lol. The spiders had big, black and shiny bodies and were somehow able to figure a way onto my bed while I was sleeping. I woke up one morning to find an earwig along with a very large spider crawling through my sheets, lol!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of StudentAtStPats StudentAtStPats

@TheMetroidPhysicist wrote
One time my bedroom got infested with earwigs and spiders. I was up for 2 hours every night at 1 in the morning when they would all come in from the window, stomping on them for a week straight, lol. The spiders had big, black and shiny bodies and were somehow able to figure a way onto my bed while I was sleeping. I woke up one morning to find an earwig along with a very large spider crawling through my sheets, lol!

.......... I think it's time to move. ;)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of manna manna
We got them when we left food around (duh). Just make sure to rinse all of your dishes after using them, do't leave out empty food, etc. They have to be attracted to something. After that, find out how they're getting in and block the hole and/or use some raid. You may also want to look outside to see where they're living.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of SUMmer123456 SUMmer123456
Our neighbours had this problem last year. Keep your kitchen clean and they'll go away.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of inthemaking inthemaking
Yes and it's not even in the kitchen. They come in through the front door and we get them in our bedrooms and bathroom. Sucks. We only get them at our student house.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

If it's a problematic situation (as it seems to be), you could also use bug sprays. If it's really bad, you may need an exterminator.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of mynameismattgotmlgo mynameismattgotmlgo
I probably don't get any ants in my house because I've got their bigger predators to deal with: http://fr.treknature.com/gallery/North_America/United_States/photo22120.htm
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@mynameismattgotmlgo wrote
I probably don't get any ants in my house because I've got their bigger predators to deal with: http://fr.treknature.com/gallery/North_America/United_States/photo22120.htm

Oh WOW! That's some scary stuff. How did you go about dealing with that predator bro?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

I use the tip-end of a pool cue. Many a house centipede has seen its fade ended by that cue. Last night there was a giant one that scurried half of its body into the trim where the wall meets the ceiling in my bro's bedroom. Got my trusty old cue out, and I was able to crush the thing halfway along its body. Never found its head-end.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@mynameismattgotmlgo wrote
I use the tip-end of a pool cue. Many a house centipede has seen its fade ended by that cue. Last night there was a giant one that scurried half of its body into the trim where the wall meets the ceiling in my bro's bedroom. Got my trusty old cue out, and I was able to crush the thing halfway along its body. Never found its head-end.

I'll remember that next time one enters my premises. Thanks mynameismattgotmlgo for your insightful comments.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

When you kill the things, their legs still move around, albeit haphazardly. Kinda cool actually.
Was this helpful? Yes 0