yconic - Do you have any advice for me?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Do you have any advice for me?

A photo of travvanwyck travvanwyck
I'm going into grade 11 next year, here's my time table.

SEMESTER 1

1. 11 University Physics
2. 11 Mixed Math
3. 11 M Psychology/Anthropology/Sociology
4. 11 Instrumental Music

SEMESTER 2

1. 12 University Physics
2. 11 University Functions
3. 11 University Biology
4. 11 University Chemistry

* I usually get mid 80s to low 90s in all of my classes

Do you have any advice on studying, balancing social life and school life, stress control, etc...?

(The only reason I'm taking 12 U Physics in grade 11 is because my school isn't offering the course when I'm in grade 12 and I need it for University, incase you were wondering.)

Thank you!
Was this helpful? Yes 0
6 replies

A photo of Shantana Shantana
Well it seems that you are going to have a very tight schedule.The best thing to do is to balance out work with socializing ( particularly with classmates or people who have the same interest as you)...That really helped me this year in gr 12.
{...But... don't socialize to much or to little}
You seem to be on the right track.
Also the key to success in physics is to do your best from the FIRST day...and never miss class...well when needed!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ktel ktel
I don't know if I should give advice on stress control, I think my grade 12 year was the most stressful year of my life (full IB, multiple sports teams, tons of ECs...). Just stay really organized, make sure to give yourself time off to have fun, and get involved in things you enjoy.

Taking a grade 12 course in grade 11 couldn't hurt, and might make your grade 12 year a little easier.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous

@travvanwyck wrote
Do you have any advice on studying, balancing social life and school life, stress control, etc...?

Always make time for exercise every day if possible. Keeps you healthy and makes you less vulnerable to stress-induced illnesses.

It's also easy to lose focus and slack off when the going gets tough, so always try to keep your long-term goals in mind when that happens.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of tabletop tabletop
hey...just wondering why you are taking mixed math?

If you are planning on going into the sciences (which it sure seems like you are) you definitely should take University Math. Correct me if I'm wrong, but if you take M math in gr 11 you can't take Functions or Calc, in Gr 12, right??

Just an opinion...
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Shantana Shantana
Actually you can.I don't know much about whether it can get you into calculus...but you can take gr 11 mix math and that can lead you right into functions.But if you are going in the science field I don't think gr 11 mix can transfer you into calsulus for gr 12
(maybe it could..if your average is really high).
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of kyleigh711 kyleigh711
^ If you look again you'll see that the OP is taking 3U Functions in second semester. Grade 11 M math will get you into data but NOT Advanced Functions, which you need for calculus. To take advanced functions from 3M you need 3U, 4C, or 4M math.

I'm assuming you're taking 3M math before 3U either because you aren't strong in math and want a head start on functions, or because you took applied grade 9 and 10?

If that's the case, I'll worn you that physics is very math/logic based. Also, your second semester is pretty packed compared to your first semester, so try to work on your study skills in first semester so that in second you still have time for socializing and other stuff :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0