yconic - Doctor or Chartered Accountant?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Doctor or Chartered Accountant?

A photo of BrunoMars BrunoMars
Courses this year:
Eng-4U
Adv Func-U
Calc-U
Bio-4U
Chem-4U
Phys-4U

Now I am struggling to decide whether I should go with Plan A or Plan B. Please help?

Plan A:
Doctor. I go to UofGuelph (GPA reasons), and apply to UofT medical school 4 years from now and hopefully get in. After, specialize in cardiology, and pursue a PhD.

Plan B:
Chartered Accountant. I go to some business program in UofT St. George (Prestige reasons, even though certain schools such as Schulich are better. Its all about the prestige and rank of the University, not which has better prorgams)and after 5-8 years, become a CA.

Either path is time consuming, both are amazing.

I plan on getting married either second year medical school, while doing residency, or after I complete a business degree and start working in a bank or something.

What would you guys say?
Was this helpful? Yes 0
11 replies

A photo of rightsaidfred rightsaidfred
Plan A: What kind of doctor are we talking about? If you're an MD, why would you pursue a PHD? If you want a PHD, why would you pursue an MD? You would not have the time. Literally.

Plan B: This one is probably harder, because getting into any good business school requires top, top marks.

Honestly, good luck. I doubt EITHER will happen. It's so hard to do doctor/CA because the universities are flooded with people - all of them wanting to be doctors and accountants - who have amazing marks. It becomes a gigantic dickmeasuring contest where the winners are picked at random because there are too many equally perfect candidates.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of mynameismattgotmlgo mynameismattgotmlgo
No way that plan B is harder to accomplish than plan A. Getting into Rotman vs U of G bioscience - yeah, OK, getting into Rotman is harder. From then on, plan A is the more difficult path (that's not to understate the difficulty of becoming a CA; just because it is easIER than getting an MD [and, specifically, specializing in cardiology], doesn't mean it is not difficult).

I would strongly consider the Ivey 2+2, or the HBA/BMSc degree. That's not just me sponsoring my old school; in most cases, I can understand why someone would be against Ivey's 2+2 structure. However, in your case, it seems ideal: you can complete the required courses for medicine and many other medical professional schools in the first two years, do a year of Ivey, write the MCAT, see how well you do on the MCAT, see how well you do with interviews, then, if unsuccessful at getting into med after third year, keep at it. You'd probably be able to graduate with an HBA (Ivey) degree after four years, and if you want to try to get into med again (staying for a fifth year or doing a Master's is not uncommon for med hopefuls), then hang back for a fifth year and end up getting a BMSc (Bachelor's of Medical Sciences) degree as well. If still unsuccessful at getting into med, then you have a lot of other options: work as a junior accountant, apply to another professional school (if you find out that accounting/finance isn't your thing; e.g. pharmacy, dentistry, optometry), or do a Master's degree/PhD (if you find out you like research). Your combination of a science degree and a business degree should give you an edge when applying to both science jobs and business jobs. To me that just sounds like wins all over.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of inthemaking inthemaking
Program trumps prestige/rank of overall university anyday, imo. If I was going into business, I would choose Schulich over Rotman.

Also, why do you want a PhD after getting your MD? You don't need a PhD to specialize and do a cardio residency. And getting married in 2nd year medical school isn't the same thing as residency..2nd year med school is while you're still in school (aka not an MD yet), residency is what you do AFTER you obtain your MD, complete an internship, and go on to specialize.

Pick whichever career you're more interested in and you can see yourself doing everyday for at least the next 30 years. If you still can't decide after that, I'd go with business because slaving away for $20-30k per year during internship/residency is really tough, while for business you can start making good money right out of school.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of mynameismattgotmlgo mynameismattgotmlgo
Actually, business grads typically don't make that good of money out of school, especially if we're talking about entry-level accountants. They can expect to make about $40k, which is about the same as a medical resident. An entry-level accountant will probably make that working 50-60 hours a week; a medical resident - more like 80 hours a week.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
I would say stick with plan A

first of all you don't have any business background knowledge, accounting, marketing, ecoonomics or internation busines or data management.

u would stuggle if u dont hav generel knowledge of business.

i want to do ca and took all biz courses!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93
Why are you wanting to become a CA when you might want to do finance? And why are you so concentrated on UTSG?

Perhaps you should take a 5th year and improve your marks (or take a year off and work), do some research, job-shadow some people, attend some conferences and information sessions, and try and figure out what you want to do.

Doctor and CA are pretty far apart, so make sure you make the right decision. It also seems as if you suddenly decided you might not want to go through all of those grueling years to become an MD and turned to business and decided to become a CA because you heard it's a good career and they make lots of money despite not knowing what they really do or what you're getting into.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ktel ktel

@asimayyaz wrote
I would say stick with plan A

first of all you don't have any business background knowledge, accounting, marketing, ecoonomics or internation busines or data management.

u would stuggle if u dont hav generel knowledge of business.

i want to do ca and took all biz courses!

I completely disagree with this. Many high schools outside of Ontario don't even offer such courses, yet the students from those provinces do fine in business courses. The stuff you learn in high school will be reviewed in university and then some.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of OscarUK OscarUK

@BrunoMars wrote

I plan on getting married either second year medical school, while doing residency, or after I complete a business degree and start working in a bank or something.

I had to chuckle at this. Only an accountant would plan a structure of when the optimum marriage time would be in his carrer years in advance.

OT: good luck with either, you sound committed and both will be good careers if that's what you enjoy.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Gorges26 Gorges26

@BrunoMars wrote

If you don't currently have a g/f of 5+ years or something, then that's the most ridiculous thing I've ever read. Either way you should hope that your life is a little more enjoyable and unpredictable than your extensive plan currently has it.

This reminds me of Carlton Banks showing the Princeton admissions officer his Master Plan... which included "go to Princeton" right after "lose virginity".
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of DoorKnob22 DoorKnob22
Assuming you will succeed in either path I would pick Chartered Accountant, which "supposedly" has a great life/work balance though I wouldn't know for sure as I'm not one.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Slasher61 Slasher61

@BrunoMars wrote
Courses this year:
Eng-4U
Adv Func-U
Calc-U
Bio-4U
Chem-4U
Phys-4U

Now I am struggling to decide whether I should go with Plan A or Plan B. Please help?

Plan A:
Doctor. I go to UofGuelph (GPA reasons), and apply to UofT medical school 4 years from now and hopefully get in. After, specialize in cardiology, and pursue a PhD.

Plan B:
Chartered Accountant. I go to some business program in UofT St. George (Prestige reasons, even though certain schools such as Schulich are better. Its all about the prestige and rank of the University, not which has better prorgams)and after 5-8 years, become a CA.

Either path is time consuming, both are amazing.

What would you guys say?

Prestige over program?!?! Why don't you just go to quee's then? The "prestige" there is through the roof. Both have a demand so you can't go wrong either way. I would't worry about getting married because you have thousands of things you need to straighten out before you can even think of that.
Was this helpful? Yes 0