yconic - Doctor or Nurse?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Doctor or Nurse?

A photo of Alikat Alikat
I have no idea whether I would rather be a doctor or a nurse. On one hand, it would be nice to make diagnosis on my own without having a doctor tell me what to do, but on the other hand, it sucks having to go through all that extra schooling and not even being allowed in a hospital for years.

My question is...is it possible to do a nursing degree and then go back and do med school if you decide nursing isn't for you? Does anyone know anybody who did that and managed to survive?
Was this helpful? Yes 0
5 replies

A photo of shaneinocencio shaneinocencio

@Alikat wrote
I have no idea whether I would rather be a doctor or a nurse. On one hand, it would be nice to make diagnosis on my own without having a doctor tell me what to do, but on the other hand, it sucks having to go through all that extra schooling and not even being allowed in a hospital for years.

My question is...is it possible to do a nursing degree and then go back and do med school if you decide nursing isn't for you? Does anyone know anybody who did that and managed to survive?

Hi Alikat,

I know a few nurses who followed that route and are currently in medical school. I've also worked for a doctor that was once a nurse. With my year, many students had the mindset of "nursing --> medical school" but more and more people are deciding that they want to be a nurse.

Also, I'm not sure if you're familiar with the Nurse Practitioner. They're an extended RN class. I always like to think of it as the half-way between being a nurse and doctor. They have the ability to prescribe medications, order diagnostic tests, diagnose common illnesses, etc. Try researching what it is.

Hope this helps!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of cosstickxx cosstickxx

@Alikat wrote

Yes it's possible. From what I've heard it happens all the time - although it is easier to work for a while and then go back as opposed to go to med school right from nursing school. You could also considering going back for your masters and becoming a nurse practitioner after a bit (I think 2 years of being an RN is required).

You should also consider what it is that draws you to being a doctor? Is it taking care of people that you like, because then I'd say do nursing. Doctors are rarely around a patient for more than 15 minutes... Most people want to speak to the nurse when they go visit someone in the hospital, not the doctor.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of kyleigh711 kyleigh711
Actually, this is something a lot of people have recommended. You can go on to med school from any undergrad degree provided you have the necessary prerequisites, but most people decide to do an undergrad in lifesci or biomed or something else premed-like. Many of these programs dont give you many career options if you dont get into med school, so nursing is a great place to start because it means you have other options if you dont get into med or if you change your mind. :cheers:
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of cosstickxx cosstickxx
Ya, the problem with doing medschool right after nursing school has to do with the prerequisites. Most people would assume that nursing school would meet the requirements - but they dont, and since nursing programs are so structured it would take a lot of summer courses to meet them (I'm ot sure about all programs but I only get 3 electives all four years, more like 2 though because second year we're automatically put into psychology)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Alikat Alikat
Thanks for your thoughts guys :) I think I know what I am going to do, and thanks again for your ideas :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0