yconic - Does Anyone Actually LIKE UTSG?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Does Anyone Actually LIKE UTSG?

A photo of angelsilver angelsilver
I am yet another hopeful nerd (nerdy hopeful?) praying that UTSG life sci (+ pysch) will be the right fit for me. I'm really set on going because I hear that the research opportunities are really good and I kind of figured it would be the school I wanted to go to because of the experiment they did where they inserted a manmade genome into a bacteria (or something like that).

But all I hear is negative stuff from people. The phrase I hear the most is "they don't care about you; you're just a number", practically word for word.

I would describe myself as hardworking and diligent (though it's your choice to take my word or not) and I'm more of an 'understander' than a 'memorizer'.

With that in mind, is there anyone that actually LIKES the UTSG program? Is it REALLY as bad as everyone says?

Someone please give me some hope here! >.<!!!
Was this helpful? Yes 0
11 replies

A photo of VegaKrazmych VegaKrazmych
I wouldn't say that it's "bad". I would say that it's "brutal" or "lethal"
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Sheldore Sheldore
Honestly.........No. I'm serious too, I haven't met a single person who seemed genuinely content at UofT and actually seemed happy to be there.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of inthemaking inthemaking
All my friends at UTSG hate the school. Gotta admit, big reason why UTSG life sci was my last choice (also because I hated the campus).
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of c12 c12
So what exactly is the reason people hate it so muhc? All I hear is that this person hates that and this, but never a real reason, and I would like to know before I make my choice...
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of heesoup heesoup

@c12 wrote
So what exactly is the reason people hate it so muhc? All I hear is that this person hates that and this, but never a real reason, and I would like to know before I make my choice...

Low marks. All that effort = supposedly nothing
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Sheldore Sheldore

@c12 wrote

I guarantee that with the amount of work most kids put in at UTSG, at any other school that same amount of work amounts to decent grades or even high grades. There's just too many smart kids here all trying to get into medical school. Plus the campus is kind of annoying and HUGE.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of littleroom littleroom
Well, I have enjoyed my experience here so far, but there are many that have not. I think the campus is beautiful, and most of my courses have been challenging, but I feel that they've made me a better student and taught me what it really means to be competitive. I hope to go to graduate school and become a professor, so this exposure benefits me.

angelsilver, if you keep that attitude throughout your years here, you'll do well. Research output is what makes UofT so recognized, so that is an excellent reason to consider the school. It is hard however, so you really have to try.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Zarathustra Zarathustra
Most of my friends love it there. It's hard to believe but they love being challenged and working hard to reach that goal.

It really depends on the person that you are.

Don't get caught up on hearsay. No university is going to magically reach out to you and give you lifelong friends and easy A's without effort on your end.

Also the same people that complain about the marks are the same exact ones that memorize concepts instead of learning the right way. That old high school mentality won't cut it in university. Hence why people struggle to get high marks despite the effort they put into their studies.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of CYYZ24ILS CYYZ24ILS
Just visit this school during midterm/exam season. If the dead-like facial expressions don't give it away, I don't know what will
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of littleroom littleroom

@CYYZ24ILS wrote
Just visit this school during midterm/exam season. If the dead-like facial expressions don't give it away, I don't know what will

Yes, because during midterms and exams we expect students to be skipping with joy. Of course it's going to be stressful.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of pepper pepper

@CYYZ24ILS wrote

That will be every university just because everyone is stressed out at that time. Lol that doesn't mean the school is bad. Guess what, people have to work hard at school, surprising isn't it.
Was this helpful? Yes 0