yconic - Does anyone know anything about UT St.George CS?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Does anyone know anything about UT St.George CS?

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
Hi, just a quick question. Aside from being bloody difficult, is their program any good? What is their admission average usually? Job prospects?
thanks
Was this helpful? Yes 0
20 replies

A photo of pepper pepper
Did you already apply?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@pepper wrote
Did you already apply?

yeah
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of pepper pepper
Did you get accepted? if so what average?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of pepper pepper
When I go to the u of T page and log in now I get this message:
We are currently unable to retrieve your application information.
Please go to status check for further information

I wonder if that means they are preparing to accept and deny people soon. Anyone else getting this message?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of blurX blurX
I declined my UTSG CS offer two days ago, hopefully it would help any of your guys out =p
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of premachb premachb

@pepper wrote

I wonder if that means they are preparing to accept and deny people soon. Anyone else getting this message?

Yeah Pepper I can log on to the application check just fine, don't know if that's what you were talking about.

To the OP: UofT CS is rated as the best CS program in Canada, and the department is actually highly renown in the world, top 10 i think? The program in my opinion is better than Waterloo's because it focuses more on actually applicable work in my opinion (Waterloo is a LOT of math is where I'm getting at compared to UofT). That's not to say that UofT does not have a lot of math still.

Admission is low-mid 80's i believe this year (I still haven't been accepted, waiting). Job prospects are really good, especially since UofT is a very known school both in Canada and around the world.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@premachb wrote

@pepper wrote

Yeah Pepper I can log on to the application check just fine, don't know if that's what you were talking about.

To the OP: UofT CS is rated as the best CS program in Canada, and the department is actually highly renown in the world, top 10 i think? The program in my opinion is better than Waterloo's because it focuses more on actually applicable work in my opinion (Waterloo is a LOT of math is where I'm getting at compared to UofT). That's not to say that UofT does not have a lot of math still.

Admission is low-mid 80's i believe this year (I still haven't been accepted, waiting). Job prospects are really good, especially since UofT is a very known school both in Canada and around the world.

That's very informative, thanks. Unfortunately i didn't get into waterloo (got some sh*tty alternative instead; geomatics whatever the f*ck that is) because I screwed up first semester (too much skipping+pointless suspension).
Do you think i can get in with a mid-80? What's your average?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of pepper pepper
I applied to waterloo and got a alternative offer today which is definitely not what I wanted: Geometrics. But I wanted to go to U of T really hoping I can get in, I have a 85.6% average with not a great calculus mark and a high english mark which is what I heard they focus on, I don't want to wait any longer and I'm really worried about it.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Pepper nothing to worry about, I'm sure you're going to get in when the next wave of acceptances for UofT come out. I don't know why they're slacking so much lol.

Anyways I got into UofT Computer Science with my first semester marks:

Advanced Functions: 85%
English: 80%
Economics: 80% (went into exam with 89 LMAO)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@pepper wrote
I applied to waterloo and got a alternative offer today which is definitely not what I wanted: Geometrics. But I wanted to go to U of T really hoping I can get in, I have a 85.6% average with not a great calculus mark and a high english mark which is what I heard they focus on, I don't want to wait any longer and I'm really worried about it.

What was your calc mark?

I have an 83.8 average with 83 Final In Calc and 78 in English, 90 in Adv Func Final, 88 in Comp Sci, 87 In World Issues Mid term. I'm so nervous, I really hope I get in.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of pepper pepper

@Tostitos wrote
Pepper nothing to worry about, I'm sure you're going to get in when the next wave of acceptances for UofT come out. I don't know why they're slacking so much lol.

Lucky., I didn't get in after first semester and I had:
Accounting: 91%
Law: 90%
Building financial security: 90%
Advanced Functions: 77%
I know my functions mark is low. But considering it's not a prerequisite I had pretty high marks. Gotta play the waiting game now.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of aznzwq aznzwq

@pepper wrote

@Tostitos wrote

Lucky., I didn't get in after first semester and I had:
Accounting: 91%
Law: 90%
Building financial security: 90%
Advanced Functions: 77%
I know my functions mark is low. But considering it's not a prerequisite I had pretty high marks. Gotta play the waiting game now.

well pepper, i think there UofT is really decent school for CS, consider that they have a grad-school lol. and it ranked #10 around the world, (included MIT and so on). So i think, if you can get in then it is pretty much the school you are looking for =)

and i got in like 2 weeks ago only after 2 days i mailed my transcript to the admission office loll. But i actually didn't have a "crazy" average.. I got like 87-88% but with 96 in calculus and top 10% in many Canadian math contests.

so if you still waiting for the offer, be patient, my friend in uoft told me that there is another wave coming (like nearly end of may). However, I don't know if that is true.. but i will be really happy to see you in UofT =DD
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of greygoose greygoose

@premachb wrote

Just a couple corrections: U of T has the best CS program in Canada *overall*. That is, the combined undergrad and grad program is the best. They have the best grad program in CS in Canada, hands down. I'd say their undergrad CS program, while good, is not as good as Waterloo's, however. (And Waterloo's still has a ton of room for improvement.)

You also stated that the program is better because it "focuses more on 'actually' applicable work." I am not sure what this phrase means, really. You say Waterloo is too much math, when in actuality, the math is trivial compared to how rigorous it could be. CS math is pretty handwavey.

In any circumstance, you are paying for higher education. "'Actual' applicable stuff" (this phrase implies the math isn't applicable, which confuses me) can be picked up on your own or in the workplace. If you want to only learn that kind of stuff, why didn't you apply to a technical school? It's the mathematics you're going to have a hard time learning on your own. So I think this designation is somewhat misguided.

And one last thing: so long as you're not going to Yehupputzville Community College, undergraduate degrees are pretty much equivalent. Waterloo would probably have a bit more recognition in the tech world, U of T otherwise. It's a tossup. Waterloo does have an advantage though by getting your foot through the door with co-op. Two years work experience is also incredibly valuable upon graduating.

Regardless of where you end up, I wish you success.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@greygoose wrote

@premachb wrote

Just a couple corrections: U of T has the best CS program in Canada *overall*. That is, the combined undergrad and grad program is the best. They have the best grad program in CS in Canada, hands down. I'd say their undergrad CS program, while good, is not as good as Waterloo's, however. (And Waterloo's still has a ton of room for improvement.)

You also stated that the program is better because it "focuses more on 'actually' applicable work." I am not sure what this phrase means, really. You say Waterloo is too much math, when in actuality, the math is trivial compared to how rigorous it could be. CS math is pretty handwavey.

In any circumstance, you are paying for higher education. "'Actual' applicable stuff" (this phrase implies the math isn't applicable, which confuses me) can be picked up on your own or in the workplace. If you want to only learn that kind of stuff, why didn't you apply to a technical school? It's the mathematics you're going to have a hard time learning on your own. So I think this designation is somewhat misguided.

And one last thing: so long as you're not going to Yehupputzville Community College, undergraduate degrees are pretty much equivalent. Waterloo would probably have a bit more recognition in the tech world, U of T otherwise. It's a tossup. Waterloo does have an advantage though by getting your foot through the door with co-op. Two years work experience is also incredibly valuable upon graduating.

Regardless of where you end up, I wish you success.

I'm not saying math isn't applicable, I'm a sole believer that math is applicable everywhere, especially in CS. As an applicant, however, I'm left under the impression that there are many more connections to technical work, especially looking at the calendars for 3rd and 4th year, where at UofT you get to do a lot more projects and lab work. I donno, I may be completely wrong since I'm only an applicant who's done research on both schools. I know that at both UofT and Waterloo there still is a lot of math, but there's a lot more mat @ Waterloo, where I feel that it gets to the point that it becomes useless.

Also, I don't wanna just go into computer science to learn math, I wanna come out of it learning how to work with software systems. That's what I meant by applicable work (learning how to deal with software systems, management and such). I don't want to just have the ability to sit there and program, that's why people go to technical college.

I'm just rambling for no reason right now, your right, I think both schools have their advantages and they are both great schools.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of naseha1993 naseha1993
I have a question, it's not really related but instead of starting an individual forum, i thought it would be quicker to just barge in hope you guys don't mind! So i got into Uoft but i am having a problem, i took early morning gym and now im failing it so hardcore that my teacher will not pass me and so i will be short one credit for graduation. However i can take any random gr 9-12 credit in summer school to retrieve it, but i don't know if uoft will reject me if i do that. I would like to know my chances. I talked to the york admissions office and they said as long as i have my top six's and kept my average i should be good. I took gym for the purpose of gaining a credit since it's an open course and i have my top six and i've kept my average, but i'm scared Uoft will not have the same policy, well since they are you know Uoft. Any inputs would be greatly appreciated. Please helppp :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of arviny arviny

@naseha1993 wrote
I have a question, it's not really related but instead of starting an individual forum, i thought it would be quicker to just barge in hope you guys don't mind! So i got into Uoft but i am having a problem, i took early morning gym and now im failing it so hardcore that my teacher will not pass me and so i will be short one credit for graduation. However i can take any random gr 9-12 credit in summer school to retrieve it, but i don't know if uoft will reject me if i do that. I would like to know my chances. I talked to the york admissions office and they said as long as i have my top six's and kept my average i should be good. I took gym for the purpose of gaining a credit since it's an open course and i have my top six and i've kept my average, but i'm scared Uoft will not have the same policy, well since they are you know Uoft. Any inputs would be greatly appreciated. Please helppp :)

If you don't get your HS diploma they'll drop your offer of admission. Call their office and tell them you'll be taking a summer school credit and you'll still graduate.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of greygoose greygoose

@premachb wrote
I'm not saying math isn't applicable, I'm a sole believer that math is applicable everywhere, especially in CS.

You're not the sole believer ;)

@premachb wrote
As an applicant, however, I'm left under the impression that there are many more connections to technical work, especially looking at the calendars for 3rd and 4th year, where at UofT you get to do a lot more projects and lab work. I donno, I may be completely wrong since I'm only an applicant who's done research on both schools. I know that at both UofT and Waterloo there still is a lot of math, but there's a lot more mat @ Waterloo, where I feel that it gets to the point that it becomes useless.

You seemed to have missed my point. I will qualify though, there is a lot of project work at UW, particularly in 4th year courses. It's just that the courses result in the projects themselves, so perhaps that's led you to confusion. And I'm pretty sure softeng applicants have to do additional projects above and beyond course requirements, being engineers.

@premachb wrote
Also, I don't wanna just go into computer science to learn math, I wanna come out of it learning how to work with software systems. That's what I meant by applicable work (learning how to deal with software systems, management and such). I don't want to just have the ability to sit there and program, that's why people go to technical college.

This is the mindset:

- If you can do math, computer science becomes trivial.
- If you can do computer science, algorithms become trivial.
- If you can do algorithms, software systems become trivial.

You may think you don't *need* the math but it makes you a much better, well-rounded person. It keeps you in an inquisitive mindset, and it forces you to obtain a rigorous understanding (or perish!).

This is why I believe the Waterloo co-op program is so incredible. The academic skills you learn during your terms, though you may think "this math is so damn pure I can't imagine how the heck it would have an application", allow you to succeed in the workplace. Once you can do the hard stuff, everything else becomes easy, and you can tackle even harder stuff. Translating to higher pay, if that's what you're looking for. But most importantly, *better* jobs, where you're paid to think rather than to monkey out code.

Basically, you learn the real stuff in the academic terms, and then learn the "applicable skills" on the job. You don't miss out on either, you learn to do both better, and it sure is harder, but you certainly come out much stronger for it. You really need to get into the mindset of independent learning right now if you haven't, though.

@premachb wrote
I'm just rambling for no reason right now, your right, I think both schools have their advantages and they are both great schools.

I am glad you agree with me! I just caution the intelligent against worrying too much about "applications". Because they are exactly what they sound like: your knowledge, applied.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of IronMan IronMan
Well, I guess I share now the same situation as Pepper because when I try to log in join u of t they say : we are currently unable to retrieve your application information please go to status check for further information! Please does anyone know what does this message mean ?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of sadly sadly

@IronMan wrote
Well, I guess I share now the same situation as Pepper because when I try to log in join u of t they say : we are currently unable to retrieve your application information please go to status check for further information! Please does anyone know what does this message mean ?

same here
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of lolcostco lolcostco

@sadly wrote

@IronMan wrote

same here

me too o_o

I was able to check at around 5:00ish this afternoon (still not accepted), however, now I'm getting the same message as you guys..
Was this helpful? Yes 0