yconic - Does English play a significant role in univeristy application(Life science)
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Does English play a significant role in univeristy application(Life science)

A photo of SeraphimGG SeraphimGG
English is not my mother language, therefore I got a pretty low average in English in Gr 11. School is starting soon, and I don't have the confidence to receive a higher Gr 12 english mark.

Gr11 mark
english 80
chem 95
bio 94
phy 94
calculus 96

My english mark may get lower than that in grade 12. Is it possible for me to be considered if i apply to Mcmaster health science. Also, what is the possibility for me to get early acceptance to UTSG ?

Thank you very much
Was this helpful? Yes 0
5 replies

A photo of Comradeponov Comradeponov
As long as you have a 90+ average it doesn't matter what english mark you have... within a reasonable boundry ofcourse.

Like... there may be a problem if you have a 69 in english and a 90 average, but if you have a high 70's / low 80's average in english, but still have a 90 average, I don't see how it could hurt you.

The supp app, however, may be your downfall, as english will matter there.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of inthemaking inthemaking
Your other top 6 marks will have to be really high (95+) to balance out a low 80s-high 70s English mark to be able to reach the minimum 90% avg for Mac health sci. Get many people to edit your supp app because that's really important for health sci and you're at a disadvantage if your English isn't that great.

UTSG doesn't do early acceptances I'm pretty sure, I got early acceptance to Western and Queen's but had to wait till March or April to hear from UTSG.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of SeraphimGG SeraphimGG

@inthemaking wrote
Your other top 6 marks will have to be really high (95+) to balance out a low 80s-high 70s English mark to be able to reach the minimum 90% avg for Mac health sci. Get many people to edit your supp app because that's really important for health sci and you're at a disadvantage if your English isn't that great.

UTSG doesn't do early acceptances I'm pretty sure, I got early acceptance to Western and Queen's but had to wait till March or April to hear from UTSG.

Do you think my English teacher will edit my supplementary form for me?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Comradeponov Comradeponov

@SeraphimGG wrote

@inthemaking wrote

Do you think my English teacher will edit my supplementary form for me?

Well... that depends. Are you a respectful, good student (from her perspective)?

I personally will have the teachers who gave me my highest marks edit my 3 answers...
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of andrewk512 andrewk512
Any respectable English teacher will help you with editing as long as you're not a jerk.
I would spend a lot of time on the supp app, especially since you aren't a native English speaker. However, you still have much hope.
Work hard, and keep your other marks high.
Was this helpful? Yes 0