yconic - Does everyone have a 90% average?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Does everyone have a 90% average?

A photo of jadegoddard jadegoddard
I know my 84% average in Grade 12 won't do me too well in terms of gaining academic scholarships but I'm starting to worry that it won't even get me acceptance to a nursing program as the marks that everyone in the forums seems to post is above this. Honestly I just don't have the time to excel in my school subjects, work a full time job, care for my son and participate in extracurriculars, and as a result I'm really worried. Maybe I'm over analyzing the entire situation but I need reassurance and am hoping that someone will be able to provide some sort of insight as to just how competitive the nursing field is.
Was this helpful? Yes 0
5 replies

This post was deleted

A photo of ktel ktel

@Respects wrote
Most universities don't give a lot of scholarship money anyways.

Not to the average student, but most universities will give a lot of money to the best students. I had a really high average and a ton of ECs and got $50,000 from one school I applied to and $32,000 from the other. Didn't try Ontario schools though.

Now to the OP, you have a decent average, and I bet you there are scholarships out there for young parents. Look for them.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous

@jadegoddard wrote
I know my 84% average in Grade 12 won't do me too well in terms of gaining academic scholarships but I'm starting to worry that it won't even get me acceptance to a nursing program as the marks that everyone in the forums seems to post is above this. Honestly I just don't have the time to excel in my school subjects, work a full time job, care for my son and participate in extracurriculars, and as a result I'm really worried. Maybe I'm over analyzing the entire situation but I need reassurance and am hoping that someone will be able to provide some sort of insight as to just how competitive the nursing field is.

Hi there,

I want to speak from my own experience and give my two cents: I was accepted for the UWO (University of Western Ontario) Nursing program and I heard that the entrance average at Western this year (at lest for the nursing program) was 87-88%.
This is only for UWO students, and I know there are lots of other Universities and great Colleges that offer a nursing program with lower entrance averages. Remember: just because the average is so high (some are 85+) to get into prestigious schools does not mean that it makes them "better" schools. In the end, as long as you get a degree and pass the national exam, you can begin working as a nurse. :)

P.S. I am also considered a "mature student" or older than most 18 year olds in my class, and I had horrible grades in my high school!!! I barely passed my math, and forget about all the sciences... so I HAD to do a bit of upgrading in order to get in. It was tough and hard to push myself to doing it, but once I got all the upgrades and good marks, I applied and *somehow* I got in!!!! If nursing is your true passion and you want to get in, I say apply everywhere you can (I know you may have restrictions as to where you can apply, since you have a child), but SOMEONE will eventually accept you, you'll see!
(Plus, 84% is more then enough to get into many programs, even in times like these where competition is so high.)

Good Luck! :alien:
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of CatRunner CatRunner

@ktel wrote

@Respects wrote
Most universities don't give a lot of scholarship money anyways.

Not to the average student, but most universities will give a lot of money to the best students. I had a really high average and a ton of ECs and got $50,000 from one school I applied to and $32,000 from the other. Didn't try Ontario schools though.

Now to the OP, you have a decent average, and I bet you there are scholarships out there for young parents. Look for them.

Ontario universities do as well. I applied for chancellor's and president's scholarships at the universities that were of greatest interest to me and I was fortunate enough to receive several of them. It is certainly nice to make money by attending university, instead of having to pay!

Jade, nursing is becoming more and more competitive, from what I understand, but you have to remember that a lot of the people on this forum are "keeners" and that others no doubt exaggerate. With your average you should be able to get into a nursing program somewhere, especially if you are interested in one of the collaborative programs.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of mackereth mackereth
Personally, I think that an 84% average is pretty darn good for a full-time working parent. Props for that. My school (Nipissing University) has a great nursing program, although I am not in it, I hear the nursing students praise it all the time. My school also offers entrance scholarships based on average, and your average makes you guaranteed something like $1,250. And like someone said before, there are probably TONS of scholarships for parents, you just have to look for them. I wish you the best of luck!

-Mack
Was this helpful? Yes 0