yconic - Does golf count as ECs?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Does golf count as ECs?

A photo of Lemontart Lemontart
I am just wondering if golf counts as EC.

My school does not have a golf team. I learn golf from a private tutor, does it count as ECs?

Thanks guys:cheers:
Was this helpful? Yes 0
8 replies

A photo of g93 g93
Yes. How good of an EC it will be will depend on how much time you put into it, how good you are at it, and how well you can explain why it will make you a better student or w/e.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Lemontart Lemontart

@g93 wrote
Yes. How good of an EC it will be will depend on how much time you put into it, how good you are at it, and how well you can explain why it will make you a better student or w/e.

Thank you. One more question, can we use subject award in the award part of unveristy application?(since it's from the school, does it count?) Thank you again :)))
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93

@Lemontart wrote

@g93 wrote

Thank you. One more question, can we use subject award in the award part of unveristy application?(since it's from the school, does it count?) Thank you again :)))

Yes. I know that UW had a category to put how many people were eligible for the award (approx. and only if you knew), so if it doesn't and you go to a big school you could include that. Otherwise it might not seem as impressive. If you go to a smaller school don't worry about including it unless it asks for it.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Zion Zion
I'd say it counts too. But if you purchased a club membership then it would look even better.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Super Super

@Zion wrote
I'd say it counts too. But if you purchased a club membership then it would look even better.

If the universities ask for average numbers for an EC/Job over a week, and you are not consistent since you only participated at a certain event, how would you record it with your supplementary documents?

OP, I joined golf with my "school team" and we all majorly failed at it since it was our first/second time at the game and we all borrowed our father's precious irons. Are you good at it? It's incredibly hard and not as it seems, although deceiving on television. Let's leave it to the old and rich and time-ridden.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Zion Zion

@Super wrote
If the universities ask for average numbers for an EC/Job over a week, and you are not consistent since you only participated at a certain event, how would you record it with your supplementary documents?

OP, I joined golf with my "school team" and we all majorly failed at it since it was our first/second time at the game and we all borrowed our father's precious irons. Are you good at it? It's incredibly hard and not as it seems, although deceiving on television. Let's leave it to the old and rich and time-ridden.

You should only count it if you golf consistently, not just once. And what university do you need supporting documents for your ECs for? Harvard?

Just because you can't golf, doesn't mean everyone else can't. Golf is an amazing game and you probably just didn't have the patience for it.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93
[quote=Zion]
You should only count it if you golf consistently, not just once. And what university do you need supporting documents for your ECs for? Harvard? [/QUOTE]Obviously the first part, and by supporting documents I think he/she means the supplementary application.

Usually there is a spot to explain your ECs. If it is something you do seasonally you can put that in the space. If you only golf in the summer for example, and it asks how many hours per week, make sure you include that it is summer only (there are some people who golf all year long, although a little less in the winter).

@Zion wrote

Just because you can't golf, doesn't mean everyone else can't. Golf is an amazing game and you probably just didn't have the patience for it.

Totally agree. I love golf. Boring to watch, fun to play.

I can't wait to play on a course in South Carolina/California/Florida/Hawaii/etc.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Super Super
[quote=g93]
@Zion wrote

You should only count it if you golf consistently, not just once. And what university do you need supporting documents for your ECs for? Harvard? [/QUOTE]Obviously the first part, and by supporting documents I think he/she means the supplementary application.

Usually there is a spot to explain your ECs. If it is something you do seasonally you can put that in the space. If you only golf in the summer for example, and it asks how many hours per week, make sure you include that it is summer only (there are some people who golf all year long, although a little less in the winter).

@Zion wrote

Totally agree. I love golf. Boring to watch, fun to play.

I can't wait to play on a course in South Carolina/California/Florida/Hawaii/etc.

Thanks for the explanation. I was talking about the supplementary applications.

I agree, golf is much better played than watched. I just may not have the experience... hopefully I'll learn to enjoy the game.
Was this helpful? Yes 0