yconic - Does it matter where you get your BBA?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Does it matter where you get your BBA?

A photo of Xenova Xenova
Just wondering if it really makes a difference which school you attend to get your BBA. I'm most likely going to be taking my first year of business at a less reputable business school (SFU Beedie) and I worry it will have an impact on me in the future.
Was this helpful? Yes 0
4 replies

A photo of AdJan AdJan
Some schools have strong connections with different recruiters, you'll likely hear Queen's and Ivey's connections to prestigious investment banks like Goldman Sachs and stuff.

But quite honestly, if you're hard working, dedicated and strive to improve and compete I believe it doesn't matter more or less what school you go to. If you're hard working and dedicated, then you will get you places no matter what your degree says (it may just take you a bit longer).
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of garethdomingo garethdomingo
Undergrad in general is insignificant. If you intend to get an MD, who's going to care where you got your bachelor's from? Same goes for MBA. As long as you have proven to stand out amongst your peers (in any BBA program), it doesn't matter where you actually get it from. But that's just my opinion.

*Assuming you are pursuing further studies... if not, then yes. Put some concern into your undergrad.*
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of soheil253 soheil253
yes sir it depends
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of iliketurtles iliketurtles

@garethdomingo wrote
Undergrad in general is insignificant. If you intend to get an MD, who's going to care where you got your bachelor's from? Same goes for MBA. As long as you have proven to stand out amongst your peers (in any BBA program), it doesn't matter where you actually get it from. But that's just my opinion.

*Assuming you are pursuing further studies... if not, then yes. Put some concern into your undergrad.*

Yeah but getting an MBA is completely different from getting an MD. An MBA needs work experience, whereas an MD doesn't. It may not matter a lot where you get your undergrad degree for an MBA, but going to Ivey/Queen's will help you get those great consulting/IB/whatever placements that are extremely important for MBA admissions. Going to a less reputable school doesn't hurt you a lot if you get just as good of a placement, but going to a good school will probably help because of the placements.
Was this helpful? Yes 0