yconic - Does Ivey offer quant job placements?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Does Ivey offer quant job placements?

A photo of FunnyBone FunnyBone
I know that's not the focus of Ivey, but do they still have job placements for analyst positions or risk management, that type of stuff?

Obviously I know that waterloo would be better, but this for me is just a backup. In case I have a change of heart about high finance.
Was this helpful? Yes 0
13 replies

A photo of IanSharer IanSharer
How can a school offer a job? You get the job yourself. Ivey is a target (and has the deepest alumni base) for pretty much all finance industries so it would definitely be your best bet.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Sorry if my meaning wasn't clear.

I meant for recruitment purposes, do companies go to ivey looking for quant people to fill up spots? Or would those companies head over to waterloo?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@FunnyBone wrote
Sorry if my meaning wasn't clear.

I meant for recruitment purposes, do companies go to ivey looking for quant people to fill up spots? Or would those companies head over to waterloo?

Ivey is definitely a target. I'd say only the engineers and double degree students at Waterloo get targeted as much as Ivey.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of apark17 apark17
How about QC?

i know ivey is the number 1 target for finance, wondering how queens stacks up in quant finance
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of goldmansachs goldmansachs
They would go to Waterloo first for quant positions, but Ivey still has some placements. Ivey does the best in finance, and out of all those jobs available not all of them will be qualitative. I'm sure there are some quant jobs available, do financial modelling for the first two years, this will give you a head start and recruiters will obviously like that.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of BSchoolMaster BSchoolMaster
Ivey barely places anybody in Quant finance. Even in S&T, Ivey places mostly in sales, and cash equities.

IanSharer you have no clue about finance, so I suggest you do further research to broaden you knowledge.

IF you want quant finance, Waterloo Math/CS/Engineering or UofT Engineering are good choices in terms of recruitment attention.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@BSchoolMaster wrote
Ivey barely places anybody in Quant finance. Even in S&T, Ivey places mostly in sales, and cash equities.

Ignorant much? I've messaged several Ivey grads working in trading through WSO. I know that's probably not the best source, but I don't particularly know that many Ivey students/grads. I do, however, know many Schulich grads who are working in trading positions at several top Canadian banks.

@BSchoolMaster wrote
IanSharer you have no clue about finance, so I suggest you do further research to broaden you knowledge.

I'm no expert, but I've done my fair research. Who are you to judge me?

@BSchoolMaster wrote
IF you want quant finance, Waterloo Math/CS/Engineering or UofT Engineering are good choices in terms of recruitment attention.

I agree that an engineering/math background (especially at Waterloo and UofT) is liked by recruiters, but it isn't mandatory. You aren't going to be doing anything too Quant heavy as an undergrad hire anyway.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of BSchoolMaster BSchoolMaster

@IanSharer wrote

@BSchoolMaster wrote

Ignorant much? I've messaged several Ivey grads working in trading through WSO. I know that's probably not the best source, but I don't particularly know that many Ivey students/grads. I do, however, know many Schulich grads who are working in trading positions at several top Canadian banks.

@BSchoolMaster wrote

I'm no expert, but I've done my fair research. Who are you to judge me?

@BSchoolMaster wrote

I agree that an engineering/math background (especially at Waterloo and UofT) is liked by recruiters, but it isn't mandatory. You aren't going to be doing anything too Quant heavy as an undergrad hire anyway.

Did you not understand the word "cash equities" ?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of tobywashere tobywashere
BSchoolMaster is definitely right.
Western is not known as a good engineering school and its students tend to lack quantitative skills. Therefore, Ivey is best for placing students into Investment Banking and Consulting, where you "add, subtract, multiply and divide only if you're getting fancy." There are Ivey grads in trading, but they are mostly in cash equities or sales, as BSchoolMaster said. For students pursuing Sales and Trading, cash equities is generally a less desirable job and the equities department isn't the most respected in an investment bank. Cash equities requires almost no quantitative ability, and it's as fratty as investment banking.
The OP is asking about quant finance. First of all, to do real quant finance, you would need a PhD. I'll ignore that misuse of jargon and assume you want Fixed Income or Derivative Trading. For that, Ivey does place some students, but frankly Waterloo engineering and double degree students have the advantage. There are also back office "quant" jobs like technology or IT, but Waterloo would be better for that as well.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of immaculatedx immaculatedx
You can't become a quant with an undergrad period. (Phds, etc.)

If you want an oppurtunity for more quantitative finance jobs, especially in thing like exotics, etc. Undergrad Bschool is definitely not going to get you there.

Although the Financial Modelling + HBA Dual Degree looks promising.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Sorry for the misuse of terms.

is a math undergrad something worth pursuing then, if I ultimately have no intentions of taking a masters or phd in math (and probably will get an mba)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Engineering/Math --> MBA

MBA may not even be necessary.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

But let me clarify, you still can't be come a quant... those guys have phds.
Was this helpful? Yes 0