yconic - Does summer school affect admission average?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Does summer school affect admission average?

A photo of Marshmallowfluff Marshmallowfluff
I applied for CS at waterloo and took grade 12 physics in summer school.

Provided that the school or institution is accredited by the Ontario Ministry of Education, the University of Waterloo will accept grade 12 U and M courses regardless of how or where the course is taken. The following are some examples:

Day school (high school)
Summer school
Night school
Correspondence courses
Private school
E-learning
Virtual learning courses
You may be asked to list the courses you have taken or are taking outside of regular day school on your Admission Information Form.

If you have taken or are taking courses outside of regular day school and have applied to a program in the Faculty of Mathematics, in some cases your overall admission score will be adjusted.

^what exactly is "some cases"? Will it hinder my chances of acceptance?
Was this helpful? Yes 0
8 replies

A photo of TZak TZak
How would universities even know if you took a course outside of regular day school? Do your transcripts say whether a course was taken in summer school or not?

I'm not too sure about this, since i'll also be in this position with grade 12 English in summer school.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

I'm not too sure, but I think they do.
There was a section in the AIF where they ask you if you took any non day school classes as well.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of LindaS LindaS

@TZak wrote
How would universities even know if you took a course outside of regular day school? Do your transcripts say whether a course was taken in summer school or not?

I'm not too sure about this, since i'll also be in this position with grade 12 English in summer school.

I took two cources in the summer, I don't think it made a difference.
Actually on the ouac, if you click a course code, it will show where that course was taken. And yes, universities will be able to see it.
I don't think they care much about as long as it,s consistent with wast you get in day school.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Bscit Bscit
If you dont have a good reason for taking it in summer school thely reduce your avg but
3-5%. They can find out if it is from summer school by the course code or the date it was taken. Most teachers dont know crap and will tell you that the unis dont find out but they do.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Bscit Bscit
If you dont have a good reason for taking it in summer school thely reduce your avg but
3-5%. They can find out if it is from summer school by the course code or the date it was taken. Most teachers dont know crap and will tell you that the unis dont find out but they do.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

http://www.findoutmore.uwaterloo.ca/admissions/repeated.php

^According to that, it says 3-5% penalty from your overall admission average if you REPEAT in engineering.

I didn't repeat anything, I just took physics in summer school in advance for a lighter workload during the school year.
also CS isn't in engineering LOL :D
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Also, is taking a class in summer school for a lighter workload a legit reason?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of TZak TZak

@Bscit wrote
Most teachers dont know crap and will tell you that the unis dont find out but they do.

Well I was told about that from my guidance counselor but I guess they could be wrong.

@Marshmallowfluff wrote
Also, is taking a class in summer school for a lighter workload a legit reason?

I was told by my guidance counselor to use this on the AIF. But who really knows if it's a legit reason other than Waterloo themselves...
Was this helpful? Yes 0