yconic - does the university of toronto kill your chances of grad school?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

does the university of toronto kill your chances of grad school?

A photo of madox madox
im interested in applying to engineering at toronto, and after i would like to get an MBA, but i hear that people at toronto have lower gpa's compared to other engineering students at other universities. could this harm my chances of getting into grad school in general, not just for an MBA? and not just for graduate studies at u of t, but at all universities in general?
Was this helpful? Yes 0
9 replies

A photo of ktel ktel
I'm in grad school at U of T, and there are lots of grad students who did their undergrads at U of T, and obviously got in just fine. There's a normal distribution at all schools. Some will do well, some won't.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of forthewinwin forthewinwin
Well yes, if your grades are mediocre you will have a harder time getting into grad school.

U of T is rumored to be "harder" and "more competitive" than other schools, but I haven't been there myself so I can't exactly vouch for that.

However, U of T looks great on the resume. Note that for most MBA programs you need a minimum certain number of years of work experience, so chances are you'll have to work for a while with your Bachelors first before you even consider a MBA.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of madox madox
well i know engineering at toronto allows you to get an MBA with only 1 year of work (PEY) through the skoll program.
does the work experience have to be business related? what i mean is, if i work as an engineer for 3-4 years, can i apply for an MBA, or do i have to have a business degree and experience?

or is an MBA the same as med school and law school, where you can have any undergrad degree and still get it?

btw sorry if none of this makes sense and is full of run-on sentences. im really tired and i feel like im hallucinating.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

A photo of rightsaidfred rightsaidfred

@ktel wrote
I'm in grad school at U of T, and there are lots of grad students who did their undergrads at U of T, and obviously got in just fine. There's a normal distribution at all schools. Some will do well, some won't.

What??
What did you get your bachelors in? And where?
And what are you getting your master/phd in now?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of BrunoMars BrunoMars
At first I was skeptical, I assumed all these things about UofT were mere rumours, but when more than a few people start to complain, there really must be something going on. There are lots of stories about kids who were pursuing a career in medicine, and they thought UofT, just because its close to their home or because its ranked high, would get them where they wanted to, but instead, they ended up with garbage GPAs, worthy of teaching high school or elementary. "Those who can't do, teach.", UofT makes sure you can't DO, and you end up TEACHING.

I don't know, I feel that this rumour is real, and just to be on the safe side, I'm not even gonna bother to apply there. But anyways, do as you will, these are just my two cents. Take care.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ktel ktel

@rightsaidfred wrote

@ktel wrote

What??
What did you get your bachelors in? And where?
And what are you getting your master/phd in now?

Yeah, I actually do know what I'm talking about regardless of what you like to think when you start randomly arguing with me on other threads.

I have a B.Sc. in Mechanical Engineering from the U of A. I'm getting an M.A.Sc. in Aerospace Engineering now.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ktel ktel

@BrunoMars wrote
At first I was skeptical, I assumed all these things about UofT were mere rumours, but when more than a few people start to complain, there really must be something going on. There are lots of stories about kids who were pursuing a career in medicine, and they thought UofT, just because its close to their home or because its ranked high, would get them where they wanted to, but instead, they ended up with garbage GPAs, worthy of teaching high school or elementary. "Those who can't do, teach.", UofT makes sure you can't DO, and you end up TEACHING.

I don't know, I feel that this rumour is real, and just to be on the safe side, I'm not even gonna bother to apply there. But anyways, do as you will, these are just my two cents. Take care.

I can guarantee you I can find unsatisfied students at EVERY single university in Canada. U of T gets it particularly bad because people go there just for the name, don't do well, and think it's not their fault. It is their fault.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of krankd krankd
No, i heard that for graduate studies the admission offices look at where you got your undergraduate degree; and they recognize the U of T program to be harder so they take that into account when looking at your gpa
Was this helpful? Yes 0