yconic - Does UofT let you take summer school to upgrade a prerequisite course before first year?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Does UofT let you take summer school to upgrade a prerequisite course before first year?

A photo of cm0011 cm0011
I've been admitted to UTSG, for Studies in Computer Science. One of my requirements is that I need to get a 75 in Calculus in order to keep my offer. Yet, I'm doing poorly so far, with a 69 :( My overall average though, even with the bad Calculus mark, is still an 87, well above cutoff, and all my other marks are really high. Would UofT let me take Calculus in summer school to upgrade? Or are they REALLY as tough as people say they are and don't let you take summer school? Everything else is great except that, high 80s/90s, I know if I take it in summer school I can get a great mark AND be prepared for university. I'm not a bad student, I got an 80% in Advanced Functions, but I'm struggling in Calculus for some reason so far (don't ask D;).

As well, on a side note, do people who find Calculus hard, find Vectors easier? I'm starting it tomorrow, hoping I can bring up my mark with it :) I heard it's all about visualizing, and there's less of a chance of mathematical error, that's what I seem to always screw up on with my tests, especially derivatives -_-.

Thanks!!
Was this helpful? Yes 0
2 replies

A photo of MattUK MattUK
From my understanding, U of T reserves the right to only consider your original mark for acceptance. But Summer School is after acceptances have already been dished out, so I doubt you'll be able to use it for a mark upgrade. I took Calculus in Summer School for the credit itself, which I didn't have beforehand - that is fine, but not course repeats.

As for your second question, it depends on the person. I was the opposite in Secondary School. I found Calculus a breeze, but struggled to conceptualise vectors. Now in university, Linear Algebra is one of my strongest courses. In other words, I wouldn't rely on the second half of the course for a boost - get working now!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of cm0011 cm0011

@MattUK wrote
From my understanding, U of T reserves the right to only consider your original mark for acceptance. But Summer School is after acceptances have already been dished out, so I doubt you'll be able to use it for a mark upgrade. I took Calculus in Summer School for the credit itself, which I didn't have beforehand - that is fine, but not course repeats.

As for your second question, it depends on the person. I was the opposite in Secondary School. I found Calculus a breeze, but struggled to conceptualise vectors. Now in university, Linear Algebra is one of my strongest courses. In other words, I wouldn't rely on the second half of the course for a boost - get working now!

Thanks for the answer! Thing is, I've already BEEN admitted. I just have a requirement on my admission that I must keep Calc above a 75 in order to keep the offer. So if I can't keep it, I was wondering if UofT would allow me to take summer school to make it up. But I already DO have an admission :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0