yconic - Doing well in math
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Doing well in math

A photo of DoctorLawyerDentist DoctorLawyerDentist
How do you do well in math?
It is not the concepts, so far (grade 11) all the concepts have been easy. Teacher presents concept, shows proof of concept, substitute values into formula, solve.

There is a guy in my class that is amazing with algorithms, and many others who have had advanced tutoring lessons. Yet everyone struggles to achieve the mysterious 99% you guys on these forums have. So how do you do it? I find that often it is a careless mistake, overlooking a negative sign, forgetting to divide by this or that. How do you not make mistakes?
Was this helpful? Yes 0
8 replies

A photo of Stranger Stranger
Double check... Triple check... Keep checking until you have to hand in the test. Some people like to hand in their test after just a quick look over, but I spend any extra time going over the questions multiple times. I usually find a few mistakes when I go over the questions again. I'm not getting a 99% in math, but I find this helps a lot.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of inthemaking inthemaking
Practice. Do 200 problems if that's what it takes. And always at least check over tests once before handing it in..I find checking over more than once becomes counterproductive because I start doubting myself and changing answers.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93
Inflation?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of lemony lemony
At my school, the kids who get a 99% in math go to Ivy League universities, not ones in Ontario. (That's not an assumption.)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of dyd dyd

@DoctorLawyerDentist wrote
How do you do well in math?
It is not the concepts, so far (grade 11) all the concepts have been easy. Teacher presents concept, shows proof of concept, substitute values into formula, solve.

There is a guy in my class that is amazing with algorithms, and many others who have had advanced tutoring lessons. Yet everyone struggles to achieve the mysterious 99% you guys on these forums have. So how do you do it? I find that often it is a careless mistake, overlooking a negative sign, forgetting to divide by this or that. How do you not make mistakes?

Practice, Practice, Practice!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
Definitely practice the problems you're doing in class and do the homework. On tests check everything over carefully, I've never gotten 99 in any math class but for sure double check answers especially ones you're not sure on. If you don't fully understand something, get clarification from the teacher or someone else who knows
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
These are probably obvious tips but:
1. If you can substitute a number back into the equation to check if you're right, do it. Easiest way to make sure you get full marks.

2. Use common sense, does your answer make sense in real life? Such as if you're solving a decay question your answer should be less than the original and etc. You can't really apply this as much to math as you can to physics but it's still helpful.

3. Don't get cocky and skip too many steps, you tend to mess up more. Plus, the teacher usually gives you partial marks for getting the steps right.

4. Underline/ circle important parts of a question on a test so you don't forget about them later.

5. PRACTICE! It doesn't matter if you already know the concepts, if you're making mistakes then you need to practice more.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of blackjack blackjack
The way I avoid mistakes is I bring scrap paper and I cover my answers and do the whole test over again. It can get quite boring but I find it's the only way for me to avoid stupid mistakes.
Was this helpful? Yes 0