yconic - dorm resedence VS driving home
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

dorm resedence VS driving home

A photo of business99 business99
Hey guys,

I live about 1 hour away from most universities, I was discussing with my parents

whether I should get residence or just drive and hour there and back everyday. If I

lived 3-4 hours away I would get a dorm but I'm on the line with this and just cannot

seem to make a decision because it is going to be my first year. Does anyone have the

experience of driving back and forth??
Was this helpful? Yes 0
4 replies

A photo of vince1266 vince1266

@business99 wrote
Hey guys,

I live about an our away from most universities, I was discussing with my parents

whether I should get residence or just drive and hour there and back everyday. If I

lived 3-4 hours away I would get a dorm but I'm on the line with this and just cannot

seem to make a decision because it is going to be my first year. Does anyone have the

experience of driving back and forth??

Hey business99! If you live an hour away from your closest university, and that university is the one your heart is set on, my opinion is that you should live in a residence. I'll try to list some pros and cons.

Pros: I would not want to waste two hours a day alone just on driving and besides, living in a dorm is one of the best ways to meet people outside of your program. In other words, its a great social experience for you and I'm sure you'll have a lot of fun. You might also need to devote a lot of time into staying at school (ie. clubs, night classes, jobs, etc.) so living close-by might also be a good idea.

Cons: Living in a residence is not cheap at all and for most people, it will make up the majority of their total university expeneses. Also, living in a dorm means that you are free from your parents (most likely for the first time) and thus, it is harder to maintain self-control. Its also harder to concentrate on school-work since there are always parties going on (except during the weeks before midterms and finals).

Another alternative you could consider is that you can organize a few of your friends (usually four is a good number) who may also be going to the same university and split the cost of renting a house that is close to campus. This may be more ideal if the house is in a smaller city. If you do consider this option, make sure the house is fully-furnished and everything you need comes with the rent.

Just my two cents ;)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93
I agree with what ^ this person said.

I'm commuting, but I only live like 15 mins away.

Any more than 1/2 hour and I would definitely go for rez.

Living off campus is a good option. I might end up doing that in a year or two with some of my friends just to get out of the house. Independence is always good.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of vince1266 vince1266
I'm in the same situation as you too. I happen to be going to the university that's in my city, but I happen to live all the way across town and I'm probably going to be spending an hour and a half a day on commuting, but you can always car pool/hitch a ride from friends who have cars
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ktel ktel
From my parent's house to the U of A is only a 25 minute drive in good traffic, but easily 45 minutes plus in bad traffic. Still worth it for me to live at home. When I go to U of T it will be minimum 45 minutes to get to the Aerospace Institute, but faster to get to St. George campus.

Is the hour drive in good or bad traffic? If it was maximum an hour commute, I'd say go for living at home. If it could get longer than an hour, I would stay in rez.
Was this helpful? Yes 0