yconic - dorming or off-campus
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

dorming or off-campus

A photo of Katraa Katraa
I am planning to attend university of calgary, and I was wondering if it was better to dorm or live off campus? If I live off campus, I might live with my friend... But if I dorm, I'm definitely going to be by myself.
What do you think?
Was this helpful? Yes 0
3 replies

A photo of threepointonefour threepointonefour
Hi, I've lived in res at the U of C for the last two years. Here are some pros and cons:

Pros:

This is the best place to meet people. If you're in trad, you're going to be on a floor with 40 other people. You get a floor family (although really hope not literally).

It is extremely convenient. The furthest class from res is 8 minutes outside, 15 inside. You'll also have the luxury of tunnels. Depending on where you live, transit/commuting can be a real pain.

You feel more connected to the university. There are events, and you're always on campus. You can attend anything you want. You get the true university experience.

You don't have to worry about anything like water bills, internet, cable (it is available in the common room) etc.

Cons:

It can be loud. I didn't find it affected my marks, (I got a 4.0) but I had a hard time sleeping on a few nights.

You might have a roommate you don't know (unless you get a single room). It's honestly a roll of the dice if you'll get a good one.

You'll be on a meal plan, so you won't have any cooking facilities other than a microwave.

It may be more expensive than your other accommodations.

PM me for more details.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of inthemaking inthemaking
Dorm in 1st year, move off campus for the rest

Then you get to experience both (and as an upper year you probably wouldn't want to live on rez with mostly freshmen anyway).
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Yaroslav64 Yaroslav64
YOU WILL MAKE FRIENDS IN RESIDENCE. People get so worried about moving into rez because they wont know anyone. Let me tell you this from experience you will have more friends by the end of frosh week than you know what to do with. You will make quick friends with the people you live with and people on your program as well as random people from parties and stuff. All you have to be is nice, thats it. If you're nice people will want to hang out with you. Also keep in mind everyone else in rez is looking to make friends too, thats what I loved about frosh week everyone would just talk to everyone.
Was this helpful? Yes 0