yconic - Double Degree BBA/BSC at Laurier Only
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Double Degree BBA/BSC at Laurier Only

A photo of Lightbulbsrcool Lightbulbsrcool
I hear a ton of people talking about the UW/WLU BBA and BSC double degree program on the forum. I'm just wondering if anyone here knows anything about the double degree BBA/BSC program just at Laurier. How's the difficulty of the program? and how does it compare to the BBA/BSC program at Laurier and Waterloo. Does the same condition for automatic co-op apply for the this program just like the UW/WLU one? It's been pretty hard for me to find info on it since nobody really talks about it on this forum.

Edit: Corrected errors :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0
8 replies

A photo of North North

@Lightbulbsrcool wrote
I hear a ton of people talking about the UW/WLU BBA and BCS double degree program on the forum. I'm just wondering if anyone here knows anything about the double degree BBA/BCS program just at Laurier. How's the difficulty of the program? and how does it compare to the BBA/CS program at Laurier and Waterloo. Does the same condition for automatic co-op apply for the this program just like the UW/WLU one? It's been pretty hard for me to find info on it since nobody really talks about it on this forum.

To begin with, it is not a BCS degree that you receive with the BBA degree it is a BSc in computer science/computer technology.

The major difference that I heard at the WLU open house is that the non-business courses are taught by the Faculty of Science the teaching method is more scientific in nature. Furthermore, some of the students said that the WLU courses have a more balanced focus on hardware v. software whereas UW courses were much more software focused.

If you are in the BBA/BSc DD at WLU only you do receive automatic entry into the co-op program. As with all WLU co-op students this process does not begin until second year but you are GUARANTEED a spot in co-op.

Hope this helps, I haven't really looked into the program myself but this is what I remember from the Double Degree session at the WLU March Break Open House
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of AsianFail93 AsianFail93
I applied to it...Kinda regret it but yeah
I believe its direct entry into coop for year 2
Quality of education...I think they start from scratch for programming/circuits/sciences considering you can challenge for credit programming I and they do not require chemistry/physics as a prereq

Overall, looks like their bba + watered down cs/engineering degree depending on if you are talking about the computer science DD or computing and computer electronics
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@AsianFail93 wrote
I applied to it...Kinda regret it but yeah
I believe its direct entry into coop for year 2
Quality of education...I think they start from scratch for programming/circuits/sciences considering you can challenge for credit programming I and they do not require chemistry/physics as a prereq

Overall, looks like their bba + watered down cs/engineering degree depending on if you are talking about the computer science DD or computing and computer electronics

Thanks for the reply. I made it into the computer science DD. I also applied to the DD with UW/WLU but I have yet to be accepted. Is it safe to say the Laurier computer science program is less demanding than the Waterloo one? My main fear is flunking out the first year of the DD program xD.

Why would you regret applying to the program? I thought it seemed quite interesting for computer/programming enthusiasts.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of scollyhunter scollyhunter
I got accepted to that program. It looks pretty good, most likely wont be the same caliber as UW comp sci but will provide a good background in the subject. I am taking the program because it is something that will help differentiate myself from others who have graduated university with a single degree. Guaranteed co-op looks pretty attractive as well.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@scollyhunter wrote
I got accepted to that program. It looks pretty good, most likely wont be the same caliber as UW comp sci but will provide a good background in the subject. I am taking the program because it is something that will help differentiate myself from others who have graduated university with a single degree. Guaranteed co-op looks pretty attractive as well.

Have you applied for the Waterloo/Laurier double degree also? I'm just worried this Laurier BBA/BSc double degree will be overshadowed by the UW/WLU program. If so, I don't want to go through this program knowing that the BSc will be completely useless when I come out.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@Lightbulbsrcool wrote

@scollyhunter wrote

Have you applied for the Waterloo/Laurier double degree also? I'm just worried this Laurier BBA/BSc double degree will be overshadowed by the UW/WLU program. If so, I don't want to go through this program knowing that the BSc will be completely useless when I come out.

No, I didn't bother applying to that cause I knew I wouldn't have a 90%+ avg. I don't see how it could be useless, it will provide a very strong background in computer sciences, something that will be useful in business. And it's rather irrelevant if or if not it is overshawdowed by the UW program, a program like computer science is whatever the student makes out of it. And I don't know what you're thinking but having two undergraduate degrees sure as heck helps differentiate myself from the millions of other students who have single degrees out there.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

bump
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@scollyhunter wrote

@Lightbulbsrcool wrote

@scollyhunter wrote

No, I didn't bother applying to that cause I knew I wouldn't have a 90%+ avg. I don't see how it could be useless, it will provide a very strong background in computer sciences, something that will be useful in business. And it's rather irrelevant if or if not it is overshawdowed by the UW program, a program like computer science is whatever the student makes out of it. And I don't know what you're thinking but having two undergraduate degrees sure as heck helps differentiate myself from the millions of other students who have single degrees out there.

Still, for co-op jobs we'd still be competing with the UW/WLU double degrees hence what I meant by being overshadowed.
Was this helpful? Yes 0