yconic - Double Degree? Highschool Student; any help is appreciated!
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Double Degree? Highschool Student; any help is appreciated!

A photo of cathht cathht
Are there any double degree programs offered in Ontario? Specifically at UofT? I don't understand how they really work; tried researching and no help! I want to do a BSc in Psychology, yet also study Nursing. I was thinking of studying nursing because it is safe and I do enjoy it. However, I want to do nursing and work at the same time while going to school to become a psychiatrist.

What are your thoughts and opinions? I really don't want to waste money/time with something I don't completely understand. But if it is possible, I don't have a problem with the money/time/workload.

Thank you in advance!

Was this helpful? Yes 0
5 replies

A photo of despairless despairless

@cathht wrote
Are there any double degree programs offered in Ontario? Specifically at UofT? I don't understand how they really work; tried researching and no help! I want to do a BSc in Psychology, yet also study Nursing. I was thinking of studying nursing because it is safe and I do enjoy it. However, I want to do nursing and work at the same time while going to school to become a psychiatrist.

What are your thoughts and opinions? I really don't want to waste money/time with something I don't completely understand. But if it is possible, I don't have a problem with the money/time/workload.

Thank you in advance!

I don't think UofT offers any double degree programs. I know University of Waterloo, Laurier, Western Ontario, Ottawa and Lakehead offer Double Degree programs, don't think there is one in nursing/psychology. There might be other universities but these are the ones I know of.

I don't really like the idea of Double Degree because it leaves you with no electives and a lot of people I know doing it are unhappy because of the extreme workload(which you are okay with I guess). My best suggestion would be you majoring in Nursing and minoring in Psychology. It'll take 4 years as opposed to 5 years with double degree and it's easier. That's my opinion. :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of cathht cathht
I was thinking of that too, but the thing is Psychology->MedSchool->Psychiatrist was always my first choice, nursing is just something that has recently interested me and I just want to work & go to school at the same time to save time. But I guess that isn't an option haha. Thank you for the help!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of despairless despairless
Hmm I don't think there is such thing as a minor in Nursing and I haven't heard of a Nursing double degree so if you're interested in Psych or Med School, I'd suggest a major in Psychology with bio/chem/physics/math electives. To get into med school, you need an awesome GPA so do something you like and something that will give you the best GPA. Usually people who want to go to med school don't do nursing as their undergrad because that leads to nursing school.
Good luck!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of mccannca466 mccannca466
Ya, with Nursing you are not allowed to have a Double degree. In Nursing, almost every course you take in specific to only nursing, and you don't really have many electives. If med school is your ultimate goal, majoring in psych would be best. Med school has all kinds of science requirements that you just wouldn't get in nursing. Good luck!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Blessed101 Blessed101
There is no nursing program in Ontario that you can double degree. Nursing is pretty structured the way its set up!
Was this helpful? Yes 0