yconic - Double Degree Info - Laurier vs. Waterloo
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Double Degree Info - Laurier vs. Waterloo

A photo of noxx98 noxx98
I've seen quite a few questions in regards to this, so I'll try to summarize it as best I can, and answer any assorted questions you might have.

Laurier

Pros:

Better social aspect for the most part - people at Laurier tend to be very friendly, outgoing, and relaxed.

The people are "prettier." People at Laurier are good looking. If you're looking for a potential mate, it can be a good place to start.

Potential for more scholarship money. If you're over 95%, you'll get a fair bit more then UW.

First summer off. Many people would like to take the chance to travel, relax etc, rather then jump into the working world. It may be one of the few chances you get during your undergrad to take a trip to South America, for exploration or as a part of a "support" group.

You can still get 4 co-op terms, by doing a full year during your 5th year.

Lots of great businessy jobs, through the largest business co-op program in Canada.

If you are below 90%, you have a better chance of getting accepted (unless you have a very strong Euclid, or math marks then UW would probably accept you. That brings forth the question though, if you're that smart why aren't you getting a 90%+???)

Residences are all right on campus, or really close to it.

Cons:

Can get a bit loud when you may be preferring to study. I found myself studying in the library or at the 24 lounge because my rez could get loud.

If you're under 90%, you get 0 in scholarship money.

People who want to start working right away may have trouble finding a job outside of co-op.

Laurier is not the most academically focused, so finding "study buddies" may be more difficult, unless you work with just DD people (which I usually do).

If you are doing the BBA/CS, you will find yourself to be a rare specimen. There are < 10 of us at WLU this year.

Cafeteria hours are VERY limited. Cafeteria closes at 7pm, with the food court open till 11pm. Williams is generally open till 3am or 24hrs however.

Internet sucks.

Waterloo

Pros:

Academically focused. There's always someone else you can work with.

If you're a bit more of a "gamer" type, you'll find yourself a lot more Starcraft buddies. (Not to say WLU can't be the same. I had a gaming session with some friends in my rez recently.)

Co-op starts right away, letting you get work experience, and make money to pay for your education.

Potential for 5 co-op terms.

Lots of CS jobs available.

Lots of technical/analyst co-op jobs available.

Better food/eating hours. Cafeteria is open till 1am, with Tim Hortons open 24 hours. Trust me, this is a very good thing.

Very diverse student population (can also be considered a negative, depending upon your background and personal preferences.

Internet is excellent.

Cons:

Residences are further away from classes. CLV is about 20mins away from your math classes, and about 40mins from WLU (by walking)

Scholarship money is usually <= Laurier.

Little opportunity for travel/break during first year because of co-op.

Non-finance/accounting business jobs are harder to find. You might have to try and apply outside the co-op system for marketing, or HR jobs for example.

You'll be "less smart?" in comparison to other students. At WLU you're at the top of the food chain, while at UW, you're close to the top of the academic food chain, however there are many programs with similar acceptance averages. This could be a positive depending on the individual.

NOTES:
After first year, where you went doesn't really matter. You can join clubs from either schools. You'll probably have an equal amount of DD friends from either school, and other then first year co-op doesn't matter that much.

If you applied to either school, and are considering the program I strongly urge you to visit BOTH schools. Its important to gauge how you feel you'd fit in at either school. Ask yourself, "Can I see myself here for the next 5 years?" That is one of the most important questions you need to ask yourself. You're university career is one that you'll remember for the rest of your life, and once you make the decision, it can be rather difficult to back track it.

As always, feel free to ask me any questions on DD, CS/Math at UW, or BBA at WLU.

:-)
Was this helpful? Yes 0
39 replies

A photo of North North
Great Post!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Doorhandle Doorhandle
Let's not forget that Waterloo's Starcraft 2 team owns the CSL (Collegiate Starleague) every season.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of noxx98 noxx98
^Definitely a huge plus. I learned to 4gate about a month ago, my SC2 game is at another level now.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of immaculatedx immaculatedx
Nice post noxx.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
I have a few questions. I applied to bba/bcs laurier based and bba/b.math waterloo based.

Many have told me that i have a huge disadvantage if i go to laurier because waterloo's coop program is much better, and that i would end up with a crappy job. So what should I really do for that matter...

Also i dont think i can afford either school because i will be living on residence if i go, and i only have 5,000 savings and the 5,000 scholarship from laurier. Anyone know the total cost PER YEAR including residency?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of noxx98 noxx98

@MrCool wrote
I have a few questions. I applied to bba/bcs laurier based and bba/b.math waterloo based.

Many have told me that i have a huge disadvantage if i go to laurier because waterloo's coop program is much better, and that i would end up with a crapty job. So what should I really do for that matter...

Also i dont think i can afford either school because i will be living on residence if i go, and i only have 5,000 savings and the 5,000 scholarship from laurier. Anyone know the total cost PER YEAR including residency?

Don't listen to them. Waterloo and Laurier both have excellent co-op programs. In your first co-op job expect it to be rather simple. Data entry, testing etc from CS, and other easy roles on the math side of things. If you work at a smaller start up firms, of course you'll have a larger role. My BU121 TA this semester was able to get an IB job in his first co-op term, and returned for a second term as well, and he did it through Laurier. Laurier has the largest Business co-op in Canada, there are LOTS of jobs available, and lots of GREAT jobs available.

This past year the bba/bcs was 10k + about 5k for residence. bmath is 5k + 5k for residence.

If finances is an issue, apply for OSAP, take out student loans etc, get help from parents, get two jobs over the summer. Do not let finances be a hinderance for your future. And remember, once you hit co-op you'll be earning money as well!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Thank you for your help :)

if only OSAP can provide me with about 5,000 dollars, i would be very happy :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of FunnyBone FunnyBone
Noxx - how many hours a week do you have to put into your homework/assignments?

Also, does doing a double degree separate you from the other BBA people at laurier, even if you're getting around the same GPA, or possibly even lower because of the increased workload?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of noxx98 noxx98
You get weekly assignments for each math/cs, and usually econ. Along with problem sets/case readings for business. A breakdown would probably look like:

Econ: 1hr/week
Business: Probably 1-2hr, reading cases/problem sets. However you still have your new venture project, where you create a business which spans the whole year with multiple things due through out the year. Its tougher to judge.
Calc/Algebra: Some people can knock each assignment in 1-2 hours. Generally for me it would take ~4hrs, depending on if I went to all the lectures for that assignment. The longest assignment took me 10 hours.
CS: If you are in the lower level CS probably like 5-6, depending on if you "get it." If you're in higher level CS during first semester they'll take about 5-6 hours, however in second semester its closer to 10 hours.

Then you have to take into account midterms studying and such. Midterms usually span about 4-5 weeks, with 1-2 midterms a week.

Yes it does separate you. Double degree people tend to also be involved in clubs as well.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of FunnyBone FunnyBone
Thanks for answering my questions :cheers:

So it seems that the waterloo portion really takes up more of your time, while business side is less intensive.

Do you think this is still a good program if you want to go into business? Or would another school such as Ivey or Queen's be better?

Could you give me an example of 3 coop jobs exclusive to Laurier (or at least more common at Laurier), and 3 jobs exclusive to Waterloo?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Doorhandle Doorhandle

@noxx98 wrote
^Definitely a huge plus. I learned to 4gate about a month ago, my SC2 game is at another level now.

Dont stick to 4gate for too long man itll screw your mid game once you get to the higher leagues. Except in PvP, then 4gate is standard.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93

@FunnyBone wrote

So it seems that the waterloo portion really takes up more of your time, while business side is less intensive.

Do you think this is still a good program if you want to go into business? Or would another school such as Ivey or Queen's be better?

Could you give me an example of 3 coop jobs exclusive to Laurier (or at least more common at Laurier), and 3 jobs exclusive to Waterloo?

It's on their co-op sites.

http://www.lauriercc.ca/co-op/prospectiveStudents/reasons-choose/jobs.htm

http://www.cecs.uwaterloo.ca/students/prospective/math.php
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of noxx98 noxx98

@FunnyBone wrote

You can do just about anything with DD. Its an excellent way to set yourself apart and stand out.

One thing that WLU/UW does differ from Ivey/Queens/Schulich, is in networking opportunities. At the UW/WLU the onus is more on you to take part in them, search them out and attend them. They are offered, and such, you just have to have the initiative to go to them.

If you want to do managerial consulting Queens/Ivey would probably be better for you, since WLU kinda isn't known for that. But its still possible to do. If you can play up your math/cs side in interviews/cover letters you can get it.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of noxx98 noxx98

@Doorhandle wrote

@noxx98 wrote

Dont stick to 4gate for too long man itll screw your mid game once you get to the higher leagues. Except in PvP, then 4gate is standard.

Thanks for the tip! Now that Im at home and have decent internet compared to WLU, should be able to play more!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of smarty1 smarty1
Nice post.

If an individual gets into DD from both sides, I'd say coop would be the main decision-making factor. I heard coop at Waterloo is Math-related and Laurier is Business-related.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@smarty1 wrote
Nice post.

If an individual gets into DD from both sides, I'd say coop would be the main decision-making factor. I heard coop at Waterloo is Math-related and Laurier is Business-related.

You can do math or business from either side, but yes it will be easier getting business jobs at Laurier and math/science jobs at Waterloo.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of noxx98 noxx98
+1 to what johnny said.

Think about where you will enjoy first year the most. Go where makes you happy, and where you'll have the most room to grow. If thats at Laurier then go there. If its at a completely different school go there.

This past year, a girl did about a week of DD, decided it wasnt for her, and is now in a chef school. #1 priortiy needs to be for YOU to be happy with your choice.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@noxx98 wrote
+1 to what johnny said.

Think about where you will enjoy first year the most. Go where makes you happy, and where you'll have the most room to grow. If thats at Laurier then go there. If its at a completely different school go there.

This past year, a girl did about a week of DD, decided it wasnt for her, and is now in a chef school. #1 priortiy needs to be for YOU to be happy with your choice.

True.

At the end of the day, what you want to do and where you want to be is most important.

Generally though, how hard is it for DD students to get a Business-related coop job from Waterloo side seeing that there are AFM and Math/CA students to compete with?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93

@smarty1 wrote

@noxx98 wrote
+1 to what johnny said.

True.

At the end of they, what you to do and where you want to be is most important.

don't mean to be all grammatical, but I think you're missing a few words :bounce: Oops! I know what you meant :)

Generally though, how hard is it for DD students to get a Business-related coop job from Waterloo side seeing that there are AFM and Math/CA students to compete with?

he co-op sequences do align fairly closely (depending on specialization), but at least you don't have to worry about them in the first work term, and they will only be competing for accounting jobs- mostly CATOs and a few finance, etc. I don't think it will be too much harder, you will just have to find the job almost entirely on your own.

I would like to hear noxx's answer too though.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

^ Oh okay.

Also, does anyone have links to previous year's employment data / stats for DD and Laurier BBA? I think I had it when I applied, but I can't find it anymore. :s
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93

@smarty1 wrote
^ Oh okay.

Also, does anyone have links to previous year's employment data / stats for DD and Laurier BBA? I think I had it when I applied, but I can't find it anymore. :s

Employment, not salary, right? I seem to have misplaced my employment data as well. Salary data I can get you.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@g93 wrote

@smarty1 wrote
^ Oh okay.

Employment, not salary, right? I seem to have misplaced my employment data as well. Salary data I can get you.

Oh sure. Thanks man. :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

hey, once i;m banned from student awards, how can i come back? Can I just make another account, or do they blocl my Ip address?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

^ Really not sure man, but I don't think they would block your ip. If they do, that would be fkd up.

I am pretty sure though you'll have to make a completely new account would be used for both awards + forum.

Edit: Also delete the reported threads you made, in case that could prevent the ban maybe?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93

@smarty1 wrote

@g93 wrote

@smarty1 wrote
^ Oh okay.

Oh sure. Thanks man. :)

http://www.lauriercc.ca/co-op/prospectiveStudents/salary/salary-business.htm

http://www.cecs.uwaterloo.ca/pdfs/weekly_earnings_information_2010.pdf

Between 50 to 70% of SBE Co-op students have received a full-time offer of employment from one of their co-op employers in the past and typically, 70 to 80% of them have accepted the offer

Waterloo co-op between 86% and 99.99% according to their site (all programs).
Was this helpful? Yes 0