yconic - Dropped out of UW CS -> College for IT
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Dropped out of UW CS -> College for IT

A photo of flayz flayz
Does anyone know anything about Information Technology programs at Colleges?

Also, feel free to ask me anything about UW's CS program. Been at UW for 2 years.

Do not get sucked in by the prestige of UW's CS program and excellent CS job prospects in general. You really have to LOVE/ENJOY logic, programming, theoretical math.

I liked math, programming, and had a semi-strong level of left-brain dominated thinking, but I just didn't have the passion in the field.

(I was also a highly active forum poster on studentawards 2 years ago... with 1000+ posts... guess my post count got reset. So now I'm back to serve this forum with my experiences)

Cheers
Was this helpful? Yes 0
13 replies

A photo of computerengineer computerengineer
damn lol that sucks. UW cs is so competitive and you drop out? I was wondering if you would have preferred to do computer/electrical engineering. Is that more related to information technology? (Im guessing thats your passion) If so, why didn't you just try to switch to engineering or other programs in waterloo? Do you think computer engineering would also include a lot of the same stuff as computer science? because I also don't think I would enjoy programming and theoretical math all that much. Sorry for bombarding you with questions.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of flayz flayz

@computerengineer wrote
damn lol that sucks. UW cs is so competitive and you drop out? I was wondering if you would have preferred to do computer/electrical engineering. Is that more related to information technology? (Im guessing thats your passion) If so, why didn't you just try to switch to engineering or other programs in waterloo? Do you think computer engineering would also include a lot of the same stuff as computer science? because I also don't think I would enjoy programming and theoretical math all that much. Sorry for bombarding you with questions.

Doesn't really suck because it was a personal choice and most importantly, I learned more about myself with the time being here.

Many high school kids are delusional about university as a whole and think its the only way to become "successful". Society made it that way. Many high schoolers do not understand the meaning of success.. (it's not getting a "high paying job" or buying a big house or buying your dream cars)

Computer/electrical engineering are extremely different from computer science and information technology...I would probably enjoy the FIELD of engineering more so than the field computer science. Computer science is very theoretical and logic based. You must be comfortable with programming. Engineering does require some programming but on the job, its way more hands on... dealing with hardware and circuits. If you do not enjoy programming and theoretical math, then stay away from computer science. You have to use your brain a lot for computer science. It's actually a very stressful field and if you do not enjoy it, you will not survive. I did not switch to engineering because it is almost impossible to do so because of the faculty differences and even if I did switch in, I would have to start over from 1A term. Frankly, I do not see a point in switching into the other programs.

There's also a common misconception amongst high school kids who want to pursue a career with anything relating to computers... they think the only options are Computer engineering and computer science..... Trust me, I've been at that stage before.

Sure, the value of "the piece of paper they call a bachelors degree" is somewhat important nowadays... but the value of education they provide in the university system is very flawed and lacking. But if you want to do engineering, then personally I think a degree is a must. But having a degree isn't going to guarantee you a job. Most kids think that if they get a degree, then they will get a job and become "successful". That's the wrong way to think. Having EMPLOYABLE SKILLS is the only way to get a job. Having a flashy degree with a lacking of skills will not do anything for you.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Bscit Bscit
What was your admission average?
What month did you get accepted?
How was your AIF?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of flayz flayz

@Bscit wrote
What was your admission average?
What month did you get accepted?
How was your AIF?

I was accepted 2 years ago but I had an 85% or 86% or somewhere inbetween average.

But I got accepted in May. (last month). Waterloo does this with the competitive programs.

I believe I did well on my AIF and teacher recommendation which is why I got accepted. A lot of people in the program have 90+. I was on the border of getting accepted.

I'm not sure what the cutoff is now.. I could only imagine its higher.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of asad04 asad04

@flayz wrote

Also, feel free to ask me anything about UW's CS program. Been at UW for 2 years.

Do not get sucked in by the prestige of UW's CS program and excellent CS job prospects in general. You really have to LOVE/ENJOY logic, programming, theoretical math.

I liked math, programming, and had a semi-strong level of left-brain dominated thinking, but I just didn't have the passion in the field.

(I was also a highly active forum poster on studentawards 2 years ago... with 1000+ posts... guess my post count got reset. So now I'm back to serve this forum with my experiences)

Cheers

What was your everyday schedule like.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of eng4life eng4life

@flayz wrote

Cheers

Ya same been in looo for 1 year hated it. Engineering is sick i still respect but all competing with china's off the boat. just wnat to go to my homeland guelph and i hope i get accepted to systems and computing engineering plzzz
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@flayz wrote

Cheers

I think i remember you lol were u the one in 2010 student awards with the road sign?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@flayz wrote

@computerengineer wrote

Doesn't really suck because it was a personal choice and most importantly, I learned more about myself with the time being here.

Many high school kids are delusional about university as a whole and think its the only way to become "successful". Society made it that way. Many high schoolers do not understand the meaning of success.. (it's not getting a "high paying job" or buying a big house or buying your dream cars)

Computer/electrical engineering are extremely different from computer science and information technology...I would probably enjoy the FIELD of engineering more so than the field computer science. Computer science is very theoretical and logic based. You must be comfortable with programming. Engineering does require some programming but on the job, its way more hands on... dealing with hardware and circuits. If you do not enjoy programming and theoretical math, then stay away from computer science. You have to use your brain a lot for computer science. It's actually a very stressful field and if you do not enjoy it, you will not survive. I did not switch to engineering because it is almost impossible to do so because of the faculty differences and even if I did switch in, I would have to start over from 1A term. Frankly, I do not see a point in switching into the other programs.

There's also a common misconception amongst high school kids who want to pursue a career with anything relating to computers... they think the only options are Computer engineering and computer science..... Trust me, I've been at that stage before.

Sure, the value of "the piece of paper they call a bachelors degree" is somewhat important nowadays... but the value of education they provide in the university system is very flawed and lacking. But if you want to do engineering, then personally I think a degree is a must. But having a degree isn't going to guarantee you a job. Most kids think that if they get a degree, then they will get a job and become "successful". That's the wrong way to think. Having EMPLOYABLE SKILLS is the only way to get a job. Having a flashy degree with a lacking of skills will not do anything for you.

Exactly flayz i fully agree with u. wwaterloo thinks ure smart and crap and doesn't teach u the crap properly. They assume ure in china oh u guys noe this crap move on. exam time next level crap. flayz what's ure plan. wheere u headed. i have alot of highschoool friends also in CS. i remember them showming me math 135 LMAO. iwas like wtf. good luck
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of IneedHalp IneedHalp
Lol, just finished my first year of ECE at UofT and I agree with these guys. My marks aren't bad (3.5gpa) and I found it alright, but I just don't have the passion and they treat you like crap. If an average for a class is "too high" (low 70s), they'll purposely give you a hard final just to bring it down. What is the purpose of this? To show they are a tough school? This just discourages students even more. One thing I've learned after coming to university is that your gpa doesn't matter, just focus on finishing your degree. Because if you get hung up on your grades, you'll never survive the 4 years of hell that is engineering regardless of which school you go to. If I could go back to highschool, I would've done a college IT program, but seeing as I've spent an year's tuition already, I might as well finish this up.

People have this illusion that in order to be successful you need a good job (high up in the ranks), a nice car, a big house, etc. But what is the point of all of this if you are busy working your ass off just to pay for all of this. You are never going to enjoy it. How I see it is, live simply and enjoy what you have because you will be happier than the tool bag trying to impress everyone around him with his fancy overpriced imported trash.

Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of madox madox
If you had to do it all again, would you still go to waterloo or another school?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of apex123 apex123
Wow wtf, you're scaring me now lol....
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of flayz flayz

@eng4life wrote

@flayz wrote

@computerengineer wrote

Exactly flayz i fully agree with u. wwaterloo thinks ure smart and crap and doesn't teach u the crap properly. They assume ure in china oh u guys noe this crap move on. exam time next level crap. flayz what's ure plan. wheere u headed. i have alot of highschoool friends also in CS. i remember them showming me math 135 LMAO. iwas like wtf. good luck

yes I was the one with the road sign picture lol! I think I remember you too... a devoted engineer high poster. but ya math 135 was a shock... first unit was easy but then everything else was ridiculously hard... considering we don't do that type of math in canadian high schools

PM bro.

Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of flayz flayz

@IneedHalp wrote
Lol, just finished my first year of ECE at UofT and I agree with these guys. My marks aren't bad (3.5gpa) and I found it alright, but I just don't have the passion and they treat you like crap. If an average for a class is "too high" (low 70s), they'll purposely give you a hard final just to bring it down. What is the purpose of this? To show they are a tough school? This just discourages students even more. One thing I've learned after coming to university is that your gpa doesn't matter, just focus on finishing your degree. Because if you get hung up on your grades, you'll never survive the 4 years of hell that is engineering regardless of which school you go to. If I could go back to highschool, I would've done a college IT program, but seeing as I've spent an year's tuition already, I might as well finish this up.

People have this illusion that in order to be successful you need a good job (high up in the ranks), a nice car, a big house, etc. But what is the point of all of this if you are busy working your ass off just to pay for all of this. You are never going to enjoy it. How I see it is, live simply and enjoy what you have because you will be happier than the tool bag trying to impress everyone around him with his fancy overpriced imported trash.

Props to someone who understands. I could've dropped out earlier. I stayed for an extra year trying to drag it on with mediocre grades..

I just love the enthusiasm of prospective university gr 12 students waiting for their offers from top tier schools... that enthusiasm dies off after frosh week...

Can't lie, I learned a lot from attending university... However, I did not advance in learning with respect to education and knowledge from the university iteself... Living on campus, I learned more about myself, life in general, and managing money...

I also found out how useless universities are for actually "learning". Everyone's there for the piece of paper they receive at the end: A DEGREE. Everyone thinks a degree is the ONLY TICKET TO A "GOOD" JOB AND BECOMING SUCCESSFUL
Was this helpful? Yes 0