yconic - Dropping a course first year
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Dropping a course first year

A photo of FiresinX FiresinX
I am currently in my 1st year in undergrad and received a 3.93 GPA in my first semester with 4 courses. But this semester I decided to go with 4 courses again, and I accidentally screwed up on my first chem test...I got a 60% worth 15% of my final. The course is very demanding and i don't feel motivated to finish the course. Do you think I should drop the course? If i take the course, I gotta a feeling i'll end up with a B+ (75-79%)...it will greatly impact my overall GPA as it would drop below a 3.8 :(

Do you think taking 7 courses (21 credits) is a good idea for my first year? Or should I just keep the courses.

Thanks.
Was this helpful? Yes 0
3 replies

A photo of inthemaking inthemaking
I really don't think it's a good idea since you're already taking a reduced courseload. If you're aiming for grad/professional schools after undergrad, they like to see that students can handle a normal courseload (5 courses/sem, 10 courses/year).
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of BAcc2015 BAcc2015
Don't ask us lol, ask your academic advisor. They know a lot better than anyone here.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of VegaKrazmych VegaKrazmych
I would stick with it. You're probably going to be in this situation in the future. You can't drop something just because you don't do well in it.
Was this helpful? Yes 0