yconic - Dropping a Course (Grade 12) - Hard situation
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Dropping a Course (Grade 12) - Hard situation

A photo of ffcelik ffcelik
Hey everyone,

I want to drop this course I'm taking, Challenge and Change in Society (HSB4M), because I honestly hate the class, the teacher (does not explain, we answer textbook questions throughout the period, she's absent one week, present the next) and the unnecessary amount of homework (pages and pages of answering questions). Unfortunately, there are a couple of things that make me rethink dropping the course...

I already have 3 courses, if I drop this I will only have 2 and have my entire afternoon off, which will make me a part time student.Will universities have anything against this? Will they think I was doing poorly which is why I dropped it? Is being a part time student a problem for university applicants?

I already have 4 courses for my top 6 with a 93 percent and 5 if I count Data Management (81). Right now, I'm getting 80s in English and 90s in the other course I'm taking (which is an elearning course).

I've been skipping the course for the past week, so if I do decide to go back, I'll have lost a BIIG amount of marks cause she "marks" everything based on completion. (Doesn't read them).

What do you think I should do?

Thank you...
Was this helpful? Yes 0
6 replies

A photo of clairec21 clairec21
I wasn't allowed to drop a course because it would make me a part time student.
I think you should probably stick with it. I took challenge and change last semester, and I found it was easy to do well in without really doing much work. I guess it could have been my teacher, though.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of DoctorLawyerDentist DoctorLawyerDentist
Sounds like you are just not putting any effort into the course and blaming the teacher for it.

Anyways, do research to see if being part-time matters, and if it doesn't drop the course. If it does matter, keep it and continue to not put effort into it.

Honestly, what's the difference between not having the course and what you are doing now?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Haru Haru
I'm in the exact same situation as you. I want to drop accounting 12 cause my teacher can't teach. It's an easy course for sure but I learn absolutely nothing in that class cause she takes up work and teaches orally (no notes nothing). I went to guidance the other day and asked them about being part time as well (since I have 3 courses right now) and they told me universities don't care if you're part time, they'll just be able to see you had only 2 courses and had a lighter course load. I already have filled out my drop form, but i have to stay until midterm (because my parents want me to.."learn" -____-) but technically after my birthday in a few weeks I can just sign the form myself. I am DEFINITELY dropping no matter what. As far as I know, no university will reject you just because you're part time. I had a few friends last year who got accepted to several prestigious programs/univerisites despite having only 2 courses 2nd semester.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of gingerlizard gingerlizard
I sorta know what that's like (see below)

anyway, what it really came down to was whether I could still graduate and get into the program I wanted without that course.

I also didn't wanna be a part time student (I need my student busspass), but see if it could work for you: if you're worried universities won't like it, try doing a co-op or (what I did) switch into an easier course, if it's not too late.

If none of that works, and you end up dropping the course, perhaps if you get a part time job or do volunteer work and make yourself look useful, universities would appreciate that.

Best of luck!

GL

See below to hear my story of woe:

I had to make the hard choice to drop French because I couldn't handle the unpredictable teacher:
ME: What did we do when i was sick yesterday?
TEACHER: I don't remember.
M: Was anything assigned?
T: Ask your classmates.
M: Were there any handouts?
T: There might have been, I probably lost them.
...you get the idea

and the heavy reading (satre, camus, and a bunch of others)

That really sucked because I was sooo close to my immersion certificate (9 french courses, including AP, which counts as a uni credit) but apparently I can't get the certificate even if I challenge the course and write the exam, or if I already have enough french credits (I took the lit test in french!)
Apparently you have to actually SIT THROUGH the course in order to get the certificate, even if you already know everything!
bummer.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Thank you so much everyone for all your input. Looks like a few of you were in the same situation, so thanks for understanding. All in all, I think there's no effect, but I'm going to ask my guidance counselor just to make sure.

And DoctorLawyerDentist, I don't know where you got your ideas from, because putting effort is not the problem for me. I WILL put a great amount of effort into all of my work if I feel it's worth it. I don't learn anything in this course. Try spending 75 minutes answering questions from the textbook and another 2 hours at home answering other sets of textbook questions everyday and then tell me that I'm "just not putting any effort into the course and blaming the teacher for it". Also if you know the teacher won't read it - the urge to bs all the answers is very tempting. I remind you that my average is 93 and I'm doing fairly well in my current courses.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@gingerlizard wrote

See below to hear my story of woe:

I had to make the hard choice to drop French because I couldn't handle the unpredictable teacher:
ME: What did we do when i was sick yesterday?
TEACHER: I don't remember.
M: Was anything assigned?
T: Ask your classmates.
M: Were there any handouts?
T: There might have been, I probably lost them.
...you get the idea

and the heavy reading (satre, camus, and a bunch of others)

That really sucked because I was sooo close to my immersion certificate (9 french courses, including AP, which counts as a uni credit) but apparently I can't get the certificate even if I challenge the course and write the exam, or if I already have enough french credits (I took the lit test in french!)
Apparently you have to actually SIT THROUGH the course in order to get the certificate, even if you already know everything!
bummer.

What a terrible teacher :( I feel for you... My teacher does exactly the same thing. She expects me to know what I've missed when everyone has all their work handed in and there's no possible way for me to find out.
Was this helpful? Yes 0